Does anyone know why?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill P

Reaction score
I was at the Worcester MA, fishing, and outdoor show this past weekend, and I was looking at the boat exibits. My question is why are Nitros, the only boat that has a bead of silicone under the rub rail?? I thought because mine is an older model, that's just the way they did it back then. All the new Nitros have it also, what's up with that? Tritons didn't have it, Skeeters didn't have it, Rangers didn't have it, and except for the high end Rangers, and Skeeters, the prices weren't that different from each other. Any opinions on this, thanks.

Bill:

Interesting question, but I'm afraid I don't have an answer. My Tracker doesn't have that bead of silicone under the rub rail, but that's because the entire channel that the rail fits into is aluminum. My guess would be that the marine engineers who design the Nitros specified that silicone be applied, but for what reason is anyone's guess. Some might point to this as "filler" material to make up for poor construction, but there may very well be a GOOD reason for it to be there.

I know that's not much help, but I didn't want you to think that the folks on this board were ignoring your question.

Mark

Don't know if it answers your question but there was a post about an issue with aluminum boats. Do a search of "silicone" in the message text then go down to the post titled....

ProTeam Boats Leaking--Here is a fix! by ProTeam185, 8/10/2001 23:06 ET

GOOD QUESTION. HOWEVER IT HAS A VERY SIMPLE ANSWER. UNDER THE RUB RAIL YOU WILL FIND THRU BOLTS AND RIVETS THAT HOLD YOUR DECK AND HULL TOGETHER, THE RUB RAIL ACTUALLY IS MORE OF A COVER UP FOR THOSE. I THINK IT SHOULD BE REASSURING THAT NITRO ACTUALLY TAKES THE TIME TO ADD A BEAD OF SILICONE UNDER THE RUB RAIL, NOT ONLY TO ADD STRENGTH BUT TO KEEP ANY WATER OUT. I GUESS THE OLD ADDAGE ISN'T REALLY TRUE "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" bECUASE DOING THIS ADDS ADDITION COST IN PARTS AND LABOR. NITRO SELLS ABOUT 1,000 OR MORE BOATS THAN RANGER AND SKEETER, YOU PAY MORE FOR THESE BOATS ONLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO MAKE MORE ON EACH UNIT TO STAY IN BUSINESS. UNLIKE NITRO. SO WHY DOESN'T RANGER AND SKEETER AND OTHERS PUT SILICONE UNDER THE RUB RAIL. IS IT THAT THEY DON'T CARE? IT COST TO MUCH? DOES IT TAKE TOO MUCH TIME? THAT'S THE QUESTION YOU SHOULD BE ASKING.

TEE:

I wondered the same thing when I saw the rivets under the top rail, but they mean that the hull is all-welded (so why don't they SAY that?) The top rail, and the deck are not welded (Crestliners ARE because the deck is aluminum also).

I had to add a bead of silicone between the rear deck and transom because water would splash up onto the deck when I'd come off plane, and drain down through the crack into the bilge.

Thanks for mentioning that bead of silicone along the top rail. I think I'll do the same!

Mark

I E mailed Tracker marine, and posed my question to them, and I got a quick response. I guess this answer is as good as any, at least they took the time to respond.

Bill,

"The boats in question all have a seal of silicone as the primary seal. It

is our method of manufacture whereby we use a second seal of silicone along

the rub rail as an additional step to insure the proper seal. It should be

noticeable only if one is looking for it".

Gerald Cox

Customer Service

Bill:

They're saying they use two silicone seals rather than one. But by "boats in question" do they mean just Nitros or all of the boats you mentioned in your first post?

Mark

Scary thought just came to mind.....

silicone is also an adhesive. Nah, I'm

sure there are fasteners holding the cap

on as well.....aren't there?

Huck, yes there are fasteners holding the cap to the hull. On some boats, the rub rail hides these fasteners.

The silicone is used as a seal to limit (and hopefully eliminate) the amount of water that can get between the cap and the hull into the boat.

Mark

Hey Bassman,

Why on earth would you drive 12 HOURS to buy a boat?!?

Latest posts

Back