Do you have success fishing in the rain?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
I have years of fishing trip data stored in a database that I query before each new fishing trip. I have found that even though I know the area I am fishing, it is good to check the past trips during the same season to help me establish a game plan. Next weekend I am going out for the first time this year and the weatherman is calling for rain. I queried the database for past trips to that lake but on rainy days. I noticed my success rate was low. Then just for the heck of it I did a query of the entire database and found that anytime it is raining, my success rate was low. My question to you guys is,

Yeah Bear, you have to fish under bridges, the fish go there in the rain so they don't get wet! LOL. Sorry, actually I have had some of my best days in the rain. Shallow fish will probably shut down a little once the water gets churned up, but deeper structure fish, smallies in particular are still active. Thunderstorms are different, plus I get off the water quick, but during a normal rain I've had early summer smallies wacking tubes just under the surface that were busting on bugs knocked down by the rain and the shiners that were there for the bugs too. It can be very productive. But for the most part, go about 5-8 feet deeper than you would normally fish, and work bottom, they're still down there. Good luck!

I've had my best days of fishing on nice rainy days,I mainly fish the c-rig and deep diver cranks on my home lake but when it's raining i put on a nice flashy spinnerbait and work it slow just under the surface or buzzbait and work the brush,I've had my most productive top water action in the rain.If you throw a c-rig don't be afraid to throw it in shallow water "less than 8ft",I pray for a nice rainy day every tourny i fish lol

Bobby

Thanks for the ideas. I really don't mind fishing in the rain but I just don't do well. I like the tips you guys offered and I will certainly give them a try.

Bear

Bear -

When I'm out trout fishin' in streams and it starts to rain, I put the ultra-light away, pull out the fly rod and drop small floating bugs under the tree branches...... The trout are in there gathering up all the small bugs that wash off the leaves in the first few minutes of rain. For a bit, the action can be awsome! After those first few minutes, things seem to drop off drastically.

me!

Usually rain will precede an approaching low pressure front and the falling barometric pressure will get the fish to feed more or increase their strike zone and let them roam further from cover. High pressure, "Bluebird" days will do the opposite; feed less, smaller strike zone, and tighter to cover. One of my best days fishing was in sleet. Just check weather forecasts before you go out and always avoid lightning.

Latest posts

Back