Denali Rods Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Denali rods? They sell them at Tackle Warehouse. They are a fairly new company. Last year was their first official full time year. I've had some discussions with them about joining their pro staff. Thought I would goto my trusted web site (NTOWS) and see if I could get any opinions on them.

I told the owner I wanted to use their rods first before deciding. I received my Noirwood series rod from them yesterday and WOW, it is a REALLY nice rod. That is there high end model but if their other models are constructed as well as this one is I can say I am impressed. I will be trying the rod out tomorrow!

Any opinions would be great. Thanks!

I've seen them, but haven't fished with any. They make a good looking stik with the striking wood trim that does add performance. Wood is good for sensitivity, but adds a good deal more in weight over cork. I believe they use American Tackle blanks to build on using Batson componants. It looks like a quality rod by a quality influenced company, but the real telling will be in your fishability of the product. Fish with it and let us know what you think and you'll be making your decision in the process. Good luck! ;)

They look pretty nice, but I'm not a fan of wood on a fishing rod. In fact, I'd rather not have a foregrip at all. That is what I've liked about the newer offerings from many of the rod companies out there - a lack of that big, useless foregrip.

I've often wondered - Seriously - how many people actually use that foregrip for anything besides looks? I've never had a use for it. It adds a bit of weight (and in the case of that wood foregrip, I'm guessing even more weight than cork or some type of foam).

For sensitivity, the more of my hand touching the actual rod blank, the better. I would suspect that most materials placed between the rod blank and my skin simply kill the sensitivity.

Now that rod that you just got - the Noirwood series - now that looks interesting. Tapered graphite handles are a new one on me. I've seen graphite handles being offered before by rod building supply companies like Mudhole, but they were always the straight variety. I also didn't know how well I'd be able to hold onto them if my hands were wet (or sweaty).

I'd be VERY interested to see how you end up liking that rod Teri. I'd particularly want to know how the sensitivity is compared to other rods that use cork handles, and I'd also want to know how well you can keep it from slipping out of your hands. Please give us a complete report on that one. I still don't care for the "Asian hardwood" foregrip, but the rest of the rod looks interesting. I'd also like to know how you like that hook keeper in the middle of the rear split grip. I might wrap one to a split grip rod this weekend to see how I like it.

All the best,

Glenn

the wood foregrip is Denali's way to add class to the rods. It also signifies the series of rods. Each series has their own specific color of wood.

dchance,

I realize that. I'm just not a fan of it. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks for the opinion, Carlos. The more I look at the Denali rod, the more impressed I am. I am excited to test it out but its been very cold. I got out on New Years Eve day with Berry from this site but we fished with spinning gear for saugers and stripes. Had a blast!

Glenn, I will give you an honest opinion of what I think when I use it. It doesn't feel any heavier than rods that I think/feel are light. I can tell you this rod is built much better than the rods I am comparing it to but the price point is different too.

Glenn, Mike from Denali rods weighed the actual wood they use in Denali rods:

"I put one of our foregrips on a postal scale in my office and it did not even register, which means it is less than 1/10th of an ounce. So the weight is absolutely not an issue.... The plus side of our wood ... 1) It will look the same in 10 years and not be pitted and dirty like cork. 2) It will transmit vibration much better than cork and increase the sensitivity of the rod. 3) We love the rich classy look it provides and so far it has been very well accepted."

Viewing the Denali rod I have, I thought the wood was VERY minimal. It does look really nice on the Noirwood. Haven't seen the others. I am leaning toward joining Denali.

Latest posts

Back