Deer hunting from the water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstern

Reaction score
Dan J.'s comment about jet boats and canoes reminded me of something:

Anybody here ever taken a deer from a boat? Our GA hunting regs allow it if the boat is not currently under power, and it may be a change of pace for me to try this upcoming season.

A few times this summer, and many times over the years, I've been minding the water, casting off an island or shoreline (Corps of Engineers property), only to be interupted by a deer or two. They seem to be far less sensitive to human presence on a nearby boat. Just a couple of weeks ago, a doe completely ignored me while I trolled and casted about 50 yards from her as she grazed in the woods near the water.

A friend and I just went in together on the purchase of a canoe (a Coleman "Scanoe"), and I'm thinking about a couple of fall days where I might throw the 30-30 in the bottom of the canoe, along with a rod and reel.

Best of both worlds?

I've not done it myself, but know a couple fellas that hunt private property on the upper Hooch via water. They have stands that are accessible pretty much by water only and after a short walk in climb up and hunt ravine areas. I think the largest consideration is the property itself. WMA's generally require a check-in prior to hunt and the COE is pretty much off limits for hunting as far as I'm aware. I would think private property and the state managed areas are prime candidates for water entry hunts with a lot less competition beating down the brush.

COE property in Virginia is open to hunting unless it is clearly marked for other purposes. I have gone into areas not accessible by land, but in VA your gun has to be unloaded and cased while in the boat.
If it is legal in GA, I would say go for it. Kind of like the baiting argument, as long as it is legal where you are and you practice good ethics when taking the shot and recovering the animal there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. I would be nervous about others on land that you aren't aware of though.

Dan, the COE property surrounding Lake Hartwell is open to hunting and subject to normal GA (or SC) hunting regulations. Only places off limits are campgrounds, ramps and parking lots. The COE asks that hunters use archery gear on the islands, but it's a request, not a rule, left to the discretion of the hunter.

G8mac, I hear you on the potential for others being around. Everything slopes up fairly steeply from the water in most locations, and any reasonable shot should have a good backstop of good ole' Georgia clay.

That's good to know about Hartwell. My tunnel vision was thinking about Lanier. Lots more water and woods with no development on Hartwell and it's good to know that we can use it, too.

Dan J.'s comment about jet boats and canoes reminded me of something:

Anybody here ever taken a deer from a boat? Our GA hunting regs allow it if the boat is not currently under power, and it may be a change of pace for me to try this upcoming season.

A few times this summer, and many times over the years, I've been minding the water, casting off an island or shoreline (Corps of Engineers property), only to be interupted by a deer or two. They seem to be far less sensitive to human presence on a nearby boat. Just a couple of weeks ago, a doe completely ignored me while I trolled and casted about 50 yards from her as she grazed in the woods near the water.

A friend and I just went in together on the purchase of a canoe (a Coleman "Scanoe"), and I'm thinking about a couple of fall days where I might throw the 30-30 in the bottom of the canoe, along with a rod and reel.

Best of both worlds?

Rich,
I just read it to make sure, and you are right - "Hunting from a vehicle, plane, or boat under power." is prohibited. I was hoping it was worded differently, but you might still want to look further into it. In FL, it is worded, "Shooting from vehicles, powerboats or sailboats moving under power. Motors must be shut off or sails furled, and the vessel’s progress must cease from such motor or sail before hunters may take wildlife." I wanted clarification on one item, so I drove up to a game warden in a boat and asked him about trolling motors. He said, "As long as you stop the boats movement, and the trolling motor blade is no longer turning, you can shoot." We explained how we wanted to hunt pigs in a canal off the main river with our bows. We would go around the winding canal on a very slow trolling motor until we saw pigs. We would reverse the direction and come to a stop (you want to when shooting anyway. Once stopped (a few seconds), I would take my foot off of the trolling motor pedal, step back to the middle of the deck, and draw my bow. Game warden gave us the thumbs up with a smile and left. Great way to hunt pigs in FL. We just discovered you don't want to shoot bigger ones in the FL swampy mud. We aimed for the smaller / tastier ones after the first one wore us out dragging him out in knee deep black sticky mud.

All the best,
Glenn

Glenn, thanks for the additional research. Interesting about the boat needing to be stopped. It's easily a gray area, particular when factoring wind and current. I'll be sure to get clarification. I recall talking about it with a ACOE ranger one time who said it was fine, but obviously that's a federal agent, not a state DNR agent.

I have thought about the size of the deer and getting it into the canoe. At least it'd be downhill. :)

The game warden didn't seem so concerned about wind and current (and neither did we since we were in a protected canal most of the time), but I did ask him about it due to the tide pull around the mouth of the canal being stronger. He said as long as we stopped the boat before shooting, it didn't matter if the wind / current started pushing us around. I know it could be a gray area if you run into the wrong Game Warden (and he saw the boat moving while you were shooting), but I made it a point to know every GW around the areas I hunted and fished. If I saw them, I'd stop what I was doing and go meet them instead of making them come to me. Half the time, I'd hand my license and ID to them only to have them wave it off and just ask how I was doing. They started to recognize my boat (black and purple - hard to forget), and when they were patrolling the water, they usually just waved to me as they passed by on plane heading to check someone else. I don't know how the GW's are in GA though. If they are nice, I'd get to know them and make sure they know what you are doing. That way, there's little to no questions later. "Ounce of prevention..." so to speak.
All the best,
Glenn

I have thought about the size of the deer and getting it into the canoe. At least it'd be downhill. :)

Nice thing about a canoe - you can turn it on it's side, roll the deer into it, and then roll the canoe back to upright and push / pull it back into the water.

All the best,
Glenn

Was just thinking the same thing today I hunt an area around a big lake and when fishing in the fall the deer pay no mind to the boats on the lake. I was even thinking that I could maybe even get close enough to shoot with a bow in some areas I can get back into with the trolling motor and I know that it would be alot nicer spending the day fishing waiting for a deer than just sitting in a tree stand plus I have the batteries on the boat to charge the phone for mp3 music.

Was just thinking the same thing today I hunt an area around a big lake and when fishing in the fall the deer pay no mind to the boats on the lake. I was even thinking that I could maybe even get close enough to shoot with a bow in some areas I can get back into with the trolling motor and I know that it would be alot nicer spending the day fishing waiting for a deer than just sitting in a tree stand plus I have the batteries on the boat to charge the phone for mp3 music.

Talk about multi-tasking....

I want to shoot prairie dogs from the boat. Fat little &astards sit on the hills and mock me.:mad:

fatrap

We have been out and had a nice buck swim within 15-20 yards from our boat...

I've seen them swimming too. It's amazing they move as well as they do in the water.
fatrap

Have seen it, too. They do move well in the water. It's pretty cool when you're out in the middle of the lake and a deer climbs ashore on a nearby island.

I have a video of a bear swimming in a lake.
This is a snaphot from the video:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was in Canada, there was a sow moose swimming across one of the lakes and the Indian guide wanted to lasso it and drown it with the boat so he could use the meat to feed his family. My grandfather wouldn't let him do it.

I have seen many deer swimming and have come close to hitting some crossing a river while coming around a bend one day. Have seen fawns on small islands while fishing and I'm sure it's mother was close by. Have seen one of the biggest Fox swimming I have ever seen. It's amazing what you will see while fishing.

Latest posts

Back