Deer Guns

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Decided it would be fun to find out what was everyone's favorite deer gun...

I have two.... For Illinois and other slug only places, a Remington 1100 12ga with a 21" rifled barrel, Remington Copper Solids. The 1100 is a 2 3/4" "Trap" gun with a Monte Carlo stock (sets the open rifle sights up at the right height).

For rifle areas, a .257 Roberts small ring Spanish Mauser w/ a Leupold 1.5-5 Var X III. 40 years of using this rifle and I haven't found anything better for me. Has maybe 50+ deer in its past and I hope a few more in it's future.

Had always wanted to deer hunt, but my dad had disposed of our property by the time I got out of service and I rarely ever came home although I did have his 30-30 pump rifle which earlier I passed it on to another relative this year. My dad had killed a few deer with it. Now its too late for me unless I get lucky and get one of those all terrain wheelchairs and find a place in TN to hunt. Shame too now that I have a lifetime fishing and hunting license. I haven't hunted since ummm 1978 or 79 for squirrels. Did have a deer in my sights once, but I had a 22 rifle at the time and I sure wasn't gonna wound one with that in hopes of killing it. I kinda admire those of you that hunt with bows and shotguns. To me that's more sporting and having to get a close shot for a kill. Love those hunting shows like that.

Ruger 77 .308 Win
Ruger Redhawk .44 mag
Winchester model 94 .30-30 Win
Tompson Contender 14" barrel .30-30 Win
Tompson Contender 12" barrel 7-30 Waters
Knight MK85 in .50
Traditions Persuit in .50

Smith and Wesson 629 classic with an 8"barrel and 2X scope.

I use the same rifle for Deer, Antelope and Elk out here in CO. Remington Model 700 in .270

Marlin 336 30-30
CVA Optima Elite .45ML

Ruger 280 with a Redfield ranger finder scope.

I like the .280 for a very versatile hunting round... Do you reload? If you do you can get great deals on Nosler Bullets at www.shootersproshop.com up to 50% savings on overruns and cosmetic seconds... I just bought 50 .284 Partitions (overruns) for under $20.

Last edited:
No I don't reload. If bullets get any higher I will start.

I wish I could justify reloading on an economic basis, but if I did I would be lying. I just shoot more !!!! But, I can more than justify it on a versatility basis. You can create loads for any purpose, shoot "premium" bullets, create practice loads, and do just that; "practice". And, it is fun.

I have 300 Winchester magnum on one of my presses right now. 208 grain Hornady BTHP. Too bad I'm having problems with the rifle shooting very well.

fatrap

I have 300 Winchester magnum on one of my presses right now. 208 grain Hornady BTHP. Too bad I'm having problems with the rifle shooting very well.

fatrap

Hey did you get my reference to www.shootersproshop.com above..... might be of interest to you as well.... cheap Noslers if you like them.... I do for hunting bullets

Yeah gotta get off my butt and get some other bullets to try. My main problems I believe was not having the action torqued tight to the stock. I really like Sierra.
fatrap

Yeah gotta get off my butt and get some other bullets to try. My main problems I believe was not having the action torqued tight to the stock. I really like Sierra.
fatrap

I have used Sierra Gameking bullets for deer in my .257 Roberts for years. For heavier game I like the Nosler Partitions and now the Nosler Accubonds. If you want some very accurate long range bullets (and expensive) try GS Custom Bullets in South Africa.... individually turned solid copper bullets!

I have 3 "favorites" and I have killed deer with all 3......each has a specific use.

I have a really sweet Weatherby Mark V "Sporter" in .270 Mag...topped with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope for general use......killed a nice 8pt last week on opening day in MI. with it.
For hunting in thicker brush in a rifle zone,..I have a Ruger M77/44 bolt action carbine in .44mag...also topped with a Nikon 3-9x32 scope. It's a tack driver at 100yds or less.
and for southern MI. (shotgun only) I have a Remington 870 pump in .20ga. that's topped with a 3-9x32 scope.....
The Ruger is a riot to shoot,...fun,..accurate..and relatively inexpensive....but the Weatherby is not a "plinker" with ammo costing @ $60-65 for a box of 20 rds.

Attachments

• Bills2013-8pt.jpg
    Bills2013-8pt.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 2013-8pt.jpg
    2013-8pt.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 277