Deck Rod Straps

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
So I am riding down the lake in fairly rough water today and one of my straps comes unbuttoned with 5 rods under it. I saw it in time and didn't lose anything but, I do want to replace them, they are the bungie type that came on the boat. At times we all have a couple thousand dollars laying on the deck that we don't want to lose, so what are your recommendations, don't know how comfortable I am about cutting holes for the retractable ones.

I love the retractable ones but there isn't a good spot to put them on the Z7. I have never liked that little hook that Nitro uses on the factory ones, i find they come loose way to easy in rough water. What i did was replaced mine with a similar one that i got at Northern bass supply, the end that hooks on has a much batter attachment than that little plastic hook, take a look at the link i put below. When the going gets really rough to the point where i might punch a wave i stow everything thats on deck, rods, fishfinders, etc.

http://www.rogersproducts.com/products.html

You can actually mount the Rod Buckle type of retractable strap flat on the floor. They might even make a low profile one now. You could also get a clip head mounted on the bungie style that won't release. My problem with the bungies are that they are rubber and in the sun all the time. They wear out quickly and break......at the most inopportune time!!

On my first trip out on Lake Ontario (17+ yrs. ago) where the St. Lawrence meets the big water I took a wave that popped a buckle loose and sent four Chronarchs, two Sustains, and a half dozen All Star T40X's into the drink. :( I learned a tough lesson that day about big water and waves in general. If it can come loose, it will come loose at the most in opportune time. These were the retractable rod buckles on an 896 Savage. As Jim B mentioned when making long runs or anytime in big water keep the rods stowed in a rod box until you arrive and everything else non integral to safe boating under a deck lid. ;)

I use velcro. Never comes undone. I think from Rod Saver too faded to tell now.

fatrap

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Poly-Rod-Strap-Rod-Holder/product/42941400/

One of the best I have used. I can say it will do the job in rough water. If you turn the hook upside down and then place it in the holder they WILL NOT COME LOOSE.

Like all rubber straps NEVER leave them under tension for extended periods. The rubber will take a set and become too loose. It has NOT happened with these but I still practice removing the straps from the holder for extended periods.

Mini,

I have the same straps. Works good so far. I replaced them from the others mentioned on the other post. The other ones took a beating from the Florida heat.

NJD

Just an update, I got the Rod Savers. I don't like the way they fasten to the deck or maybe it is just something different that I don't like. Will try them out on Santee this weekend. Thanks for the imput.

Latest posts

Back