Deck Extension Project - Carpet

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Orth

Reaction score
I am planning out a deck extension for my '96 170TF. I am wondering if anyone knows the carpet weight of the existing factory installed carpet. I have a marine dealer that sells 16 weight, but I want to make sure that what I put on the new extension matches both in color and in feel. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jigg 'em up!

I am in the process of putting an extension on my 882. If u don't mind me asking exactly how u did yours. I was gonna put some aluminum angle and attach it to the boat and then have a plate that I would screw onto it. I just hate to drill holes in my boat. Also the weight of carpet would be nice to know. I have an 05 nitro nx882 tht has gray carpet.

That's exactly what I did to my 185.

Two screws each side and front with 3/8" X 1" aluminum.

I think most standard carpet is about 16oz.

TEE. Did u use aluminum plate or did u use marine grade plywood for the floor of Ur extension?

Travis,

I have not yet started the fabrication of the deck extension. I am still in the R&D phase. But I found a resource that is going to serve as my guide.

My plan is based on what this guy has done. Basically I am going to make a frame out of 1" aluminum square tubing. I found a discount metal dealer in Minneapolis and I can get a 21 foot bar of 1'x1' tube for $34. (the entire frame is going to need about 17 linear foot for my design.) I have a friend that knows how to weld aluminum so he is going to weld it up once i get the cuts and fitting taken care of.

Anyways my frame will look similar to the images you see from the link above and I am planning on using a treated 3/8 plywood covered with carpeting for the surface. I am going to tap holes into the aluminum frame and screws the plywood to it with stainless screws. I looked into an aluminum plate for the surface and they run about $80 for the size I need. I want to keep my costs down, so wood it is.

I also am not planning on attaching the frame to the fiberglass. I have an existing lip that the frame can sit on. Plus not attaching it gives me an easy ability to remove it when my kids are in the boat so they can stand down "low" and not up on the casting deck.

Check out the link, but you will have to register for that blog after a couple of views of the link.

Let me know what you think.

Mike

[email protected]
http://www.bassboatmagazine.com/dec....html?s=198895d760f43bb5585be3382d1a2374&

Now that's a nice frame and could hold an elephant:lol:

My extension isn't really all that big and just used 3/4 Marine Plywood.

I just cut a piece of plywood and carpet with two small screws from the top into the 3/8" aluminum to hold it down. Depending on the thickness of the carpet, you may have to trim it down for a nice fit. Of course with aluminum there's not as much worry about interior screw holes like fiberglass.

When I had my 170 DC I made a template out of cardboard to get the angles down. Then ordered the carpet from Tracker. When it came I built the deck allowing a little bit for the capret thickness. I had to belt sand a few places but when it came together it was tight thats all t needed to stay in the boat despite some outragous S.D reservoir surf. People thought it was factory.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back