Deck Extension Pro Team 185

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Trent

Reaction score
Thinking of building an extension in my 03 185. As anyone completed this and how did you do it. I don't want to totally box it in just extend the floor.

Easy as pie....I'll see if I can get some pics although I don't think you'll need any.

I used 1/2"X 1" aluminum and 3/4" pressure treated plywood.

The aluminum strips I used around the outside of the rod lockers and the front of the dry storage area up front at the level of the plywood along with the carpet attached even with the top of the exsisting boxes. I used (3) 1/4"X20 screws with nuts to attach it on each side and two screws up front. Then I used falthead screws 1/4X20 to attach the board to the 1/2 rails along the sides of the board. Your done;)

Easy removal also but, the 1/4 screw holes can be covered up on your lockers.

Tee - Get some pics, i'm looking to do the same removable one in my Astro, was at home depot measuring the stuff today, but mine needs to be 1 7/8th inch thick on the 'glass front deck, so may need to double the 3/4' pressure treated plywood plus the carpet.

Trep

Trep,

I did one for my Nitro a few years ago. I doubled up the plywood to get the correct thickness, then added outdoor carpet that was a close match. I didn't use any metal strips or angle iron, it was sturdy enough for my fat arse!! If you size it right, it will be a snug fit, mine never popped out.

Bob - Thanks man, that's what I was hoping (3/4 plywood doubled up), and you confirmed if it was stable enough for your fat arse , my skinny butt will be no problems!!!

I need to find a good match to the carpet, I looked at Home Depot last night, nothing light enough to match my Astro, i'll hit a few marina's around here this weekend and see.

Trep

Yeah the only reason I bolted mine to the sides is I didn't really care about a few small holes but, glass I would go Bob's route or you could build 3/4" vertical supports on the sides and do the same thing.

Tee - Not being the engineer or mechanic, you mean use the 3/4 inch plywood for the top, and then use 3/4 inch (like 1 x 1 or 1 x 2's) just around the 3 sides that would be supporting the weight, thats a great idea too!! Then I'm only cross-cutting the plywood once, and would make the total insert less weight too. BRILLIANT!!

Now gotta find time to hit Home Depot again, buy the wood, glue and find a marine place with decent matching carpet!

Trep - Love this site!!

Latest posts

Back