Deciding on a new boat...?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Dufour

Reaction score
I had to sell my Nitro a couple of years ago because of my back surgery. It was too low to climb in and out. The seat was way too low. The boat was not working for me. I'm doing better after back surgery two years ago and now in the process of looking for a new boat. I have fished in a bay boat. I find it easier on my back. The seats are higher and easier to use. The high sides allow me to safely fish without too much bending. I need some input as to a good model or brand, I've been searching the internet to see what each different model has, etc. Has anyone got any other ideas as per model, size? I plan to fish mainly in bays and marshes and not the open gulf. Any input would be appreciated.

I come fish down around Houma (Dulac/Dularge areas) and Port Fourchon. Kinda wished I had known I'd get financed for a boat so easy, I'd gone with a center console. If I was going new, I'd guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend. I didn't want to spend much since I don't have that long to pay it off so wife isn't left holding the bag when I'm gone. I'd love to have like a 19ft marsh center console boat with a 90-150 and power pole on it. Just put a power pole on my tracker 175TF. I had a friend make me some handicap rails for helping me get out of the seat and onto front and rear decks. Also got a ladder system mounted on the trailer tongue area. Use to live in Lafayette back in the mid 80's as well as in Abbeville (and Franklin).

Do you know what your price range will be?? I know BPS has the Mako center console skiffs and I've fished in my buddy's boat. Its good for the marshes with that little 60 on it. I like how its laid out except he's got a seat up on the bow although hard for me to get up in it.

I'm looking for a boat no more than $25k. Maybe around 17 to 21 feet with an engine from 90 to 150 hp. I saw the Mako but the center console is screwed down to the deck and not raised. I'm concerned about water penetration. I would like a lip around the center console to raise it up above the finished deck. Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Some freshwater like Toledo Bend and more saltwater like Big Lake in southwest Louisiana and the marshes in south east Louisiana.

Last Fall I fished out of my friend's son's Pathfinder 23 w/235 Yamaha four stroke. I know that's larger than you said you wanted but I notices some smaller models at the Marina(In Jacksonville FL). That Pathfinder is very well built, solid and all the compartments and lockers are finished inside. Nice detail.

Fatrap

Latest posts

Back