deal or no deal?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Friant

Reaction score
I am a baitcaster guy and really don't like letting my buds use them, even when they are on my boat if you know what I mean. ;) I have a neighbor selling this spinner combo for $40.00. I know Pfluegers are nice but is this a deal or should I just blow it off?

Pflueger Trion GX-7 REEL - Like New - MODEL # 4735GX - 7 bearings, gear ratio - 5:2:1, 6 # = 185 yards, 8# = 145 yards, 10# = 120 yards

Pflueger Trion GX - IM-8 Graphite 6'6" Medium Action Rod - with 8 eyelets.

Doug

I have no idea what you mean by "really don't like letting my buds use them, even when they are on my boat if you know what I mean".

To each their own. My take on it? It's just fishing equipment. Not like it's my wife or something. Anyone in my boat is welcome to use any of the equipment I have in there. But not everyone is the same, I know.

Anyway... to the subject at hand:

Not a bad deal if it's in very good to excellent condition. That combo retails for $60 at both Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. If its in lesser condition, I'd try to negotiate the price.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_100904_100003002_100000000_100003000_100-3-2?ordProd=Y&CMID=BOTTOM_selectitems#itemDetail

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0029731119156a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0800102&cm_ite=0029731119156a

The rods are pretty good quality. I've owned quite a few. The reels are decent, but nowhere close to the President and Supremes.

All the best,

Glenn

I would say it's a good deal. I use Pfluger and Shimano spinners and am totally satisfied with the Pfluger. This particular one is on the lower end but it casts smooth.....I don't have one but have played with one....and if I'm not mistaken, Bass Pro has a combo like that for like 99.00

I would personally buy it.

Glenn...it's not so much that I don't like my equipment used, as a matter of fact I always allow it, but rather hate all the time it takes me to clean up all the back lashes when I get home. Most of my friends don't throw a bait caster all to well.

I understand what you mean. When I take someone with me they get a spinning reel. None of my regular friends know how to throw one. When I'm fishing is not the time to teach them either. ;):lol: I use Shimano Stradic's and Curado's (old style)with BPS Extreme rods.

Gene

When I guide newbies, I start them on spinning but usually by the end of the day I have them throwing baitcasters if they want to learn. To say the least, I am an expert at untangeling birds nests on baitcasters and wind knots on spinning gear. Anybody can throw a baitcaster if they are taught right and they have a quality reel. The cheapies are the absolute hardest to throw.

TOXIC

Amen to that! A good reel is much easier to throw, for sure. My first couple were really cheap and made me not want to throw them because they backlashed so easy. I don't backlash with the Curado's, I do have a few "competitive overruns" though. ;):lol:

Gene

Since subject has slid to reels I would like to say that last year I picked up a browning Midas series caster with 10 bearings and a 6.3/1 ratio. It is my fav now and I went out and bought a second one. :cool:

Doug, since Bass Pro Shops owns Browning, I have a whole stable of Midas in both baitcasters and spinning. They are one of the best reels for the $$ out there. I have the Citori line as well.

TOXIC

Those are good reels. Everything I own is BPS product which the fishing guys tell me are Pfluegers. Great stuff. I let my buds use my tackle haven't had much of a problem with that. Birdnest and backlashes are a pain but if someone can use my stuff and find out they like it they'll go buy some of their own. Gotta keep our BPS store in business.

fatrap

I 2nd the Brownings. I own 2 of them and like them almost as much as my Curado's.

Latest posts

Back