Dates of service for Vets

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe haley

Reaction score
Someone asked in apost about who was the oldest vet and to post there years of service USMC 1961 1964 Semper Fi

JD

USMC 1967-71....

Barry,

What do you guys do in the Air "Firce"..... or is it "Farce"...:wacko:

I know the Air "Force" has lots of golf clubs and restaurants and some kind of taxi and package delivery service.... LOL:D

Southeast Asia 1964--1966 Service dates 1963-1966--:(

Stratagic Air Command which was sort of like being in the U.S. Air Force only shinnier. Their motto was; "Peace Is Our Profession"....dropping bombs is just our hobby would often be scrawled underneath.

I was a cop. 1968 to 1971. Guam in 1969 watching them load bombs on the B-52's with "HELLO UNCLE BILLY" written on them. :lol:

Harpo

Well so far I am the baby, sorry Barry. USAF (AFSC 1TX2X1) our motto THAT OTHERS MAY LIVE. 1978-1985:)

I posted it somewhere earlier, but can't remember which topic :unsure: lol.

USN '71-'92. Joined at 17 , retired at 38....then had to go to work :rolleyes:

mcpo%20gif.JPG

US Navy - 1987 - Present. I was on the USS Mississippi (CGN-40) during Desert Storm / Desert Shield.

All the best,

Glenn

Chiefresults.gif

1987-1991 Ft. Bragg NC. B company 4/325 82 Airborne Div.

( Operation Just Cause Panama 1989 and Desert Storm 1990-1991)

1991-1994 Ft. Kobie Panama A company 1/ 508 Airborne

1994-1996 Ft. Myer VA. D Company 3rd US INF. Old Guard.

1998-2005 Manassas Va. National Guard A company 3/116 29th Inf.

USMC 1974 to 1976 : U.S. Army 1977 to 1995:

Computer Programmer 1975-1976 Camp Lejuane, N.C.

Military Police 511th, 529th, 572nd MP Companies (1977-1984)

Military Intelligence Analyst (1985-1995)

2-68 Armor Bn, Baumholder Ge.

2-22 Infantry Bn, Ft Drum N.Y.

C.S.C.T 3 (3rd Rock Army South Korea)

Foreign Materials Intelligence Bn, Aberdeen Proving Grounds

:):p

Navy Damagecontrol

Same here, fatrap. Where did you go to DC school at? I was in Philly Jan. '72. Some cold days messing with firehoses on that fire field! :wacko:

1972-1976 USN

USS FDR CVA-42 (aircraft carrier) one of, I said one of not the, the biggest most powerfull weapons platforms ever created. Throw in the carrier group with missile cruiser's, destroyers, and subs and you don't want to piss off this group.:D:D

NMCB-26 12/93 -4/97

ACB-1 4/97-2/02

US NAVY SEABEES "WE BUILD,WE FIGHT" WE PARTY ALL NIGHT!

My uncle was a Seabee in WWII in the South Pacific. I remember him talking about operating a bulldozer while reciving small arm fire. Those guys had a tough gig.

Harpo

U. S Air Force 1961 to 1965

- Pease AFB New Hampshire 100th Bomb Wing (SAC)

- Hickam AFB Hawaii 1502nd FMS

USS Sanctuary

Wow, that brings back some memories. They tied-up alongside us in Mayport in the mid-70's. They were outboard of us and we weren't allowed to go aboard her. We were never told why we couldn't, but we were guessing because they had females (Corpsmen/Nurses) and our skipper was afraid of an incident arising. :rolleyes:

Guys you are my HEROs!! My dad served in the late 50's in the Army, I know he went through Fort Dix, then Tuson AZ, and was stationed in Hawaii as well. Lost dad 3 years ago, i have his dog tags.

For all you have done and will do for our country, I salute you!

Trep

Waterwings you all were in Mayport. The "Rosie" was based out of there until she was scrapped. I was there 1972-1976. except when we were in the Med.

ed,

I remember the "Rosie" and the Saratoga while I was there (Oct '73-Oct'75). We used to go over to the carrier piers and eat at the geedunk there when it wasn't too crowded with the "bird farms" inport, lol. We were the first ship to be commissioned in Mayport. USS Capodanno (DE/FF-1093).

Thanks Waterwings... I really appreciate that. I have a short story you Navy guys might enjoy.

I was a patient on the U.S.S. Repose. In the spring of 1969, I was with the 2/501, 101st. Airborne Div. and was wounded in the Au Shau Valley on Firebase Airborne. After being medivaced down south to a mobile hospital I was flown out to the Repose where I got the best care anyone could wish for. After a few days I was allowed to eat "normal" food and

was brought a hot Roast Beef sandwich with gravy, mashed potato's, string beans, short bread and strawberry shortcake for dessert. I started wondering why I allowed my self to be drafted? I could have put up with four years of this Navy stuff. That old saying "The Navy gets the gravy and the Army gets the beans" was sure correct. I had been living on C/K rations and then L.L.R.P.S. (dehydrated crap you added water too and cooked) for a long time. Trouble was, there were too many times I couldn't cook that stuff and it would just swell in my belly and my tummy just wasn't ready for all of the great food that I more or less shoveled into my mouth. Yep, about forty-five minutes after finishing all of that great food I gave it right back.. I was a little more careful after that and they were a little more careful with what they gave me. After a few days I left that wonderful ship for the Hospital in Camranh Bay and the good eating was over.

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy,

My dad was career Army (20.5 yrs) and a Korean War Veteran. When I was 17, already graduated high school, I told him I wanted to join the Navy. Of course he had to sign for me, but he thought a minute and said okay. He told me "at least you'll have 3 hots a day, and won't be sleeping in some freezing wet foxhole." I turned 18 while I was home on bootcamp leave. Through the following years I would come home on leave or liberty and he would occasionally introduce me to his buddies (all former Army guys) as his son the traitor who joined the Navy, and he did it while laughing. He also talked his way into my CPO initiation in '81. Although he was a Ret'd SSG they let him in and he did most of the "stuff" to me, and pinned-on one of my anchors, with my sponsor pinning the other one. We lost dad in '84 and he was only 59 yrs old, but I have some good memories of my dad the Infantry soldier.

Sorry for the long story guys. :rolleyes:

Don't be sorry Greg. Those stories are what make us and tell us who we are. My Dad died before I was drafted and he was only 63. I sure wish he had of been there when I got home and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him.

While on that ship I wished I had joined the Navy but when I was going home early I'm sure glad that I didn't sign up for 4 years.:D

Latest posts

Back