Dang Acid in battery area!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Droke

Reaction score
Any of you guys have trouble with acid from your batteries getting all over in the bilge area. I have checked to make sure my on board charger is working correctly and it's doing what it should. No over charging,it's going into float and maintenance mode too. Yet my trolling and cranking battery both allow acid out around the caps, it runs down and must vaporize too. I sprayed the bilge with an acid neutralizer that turns pink when it contacts acid and you guessed it, turned pink all over! I know sealed batteries are the answer but in this economy I can't chunk that much cash out for batteries. Just curious if anyone has had this issue before and what did you do about it. Happy New Year to all!!

in all my years of having boats and chargers, i only one time had an issue with batteries venting like that, they were interstate batteries, went back to my delco voyagers, they do not vent, can not check the water, and do not cost that much more than the non sealed batteries....and they lsat 4-5 years for me, its a no brainer to protect your investment

Same problem with my Interstates. I thought it was the charger but I think it's the batteries. Called 'dual pro' company and they suggested removing a little fluid but not too much.

removing the fluid from the recomended level is not good, if not a sealed battery, every time you charge them, the fluid "cooks" or evaporates out thru the vent, any non sealed battery you will need to check the water in them, keep it above the plates, if it gets below, you will damage the batteries and reduce the life. i normally wont slam any brand, but i had warranty issues with my interstates, i am an ASE master tech, and was not very happy when the vice president of that company told me i did not know how to charge my batteries......sort of funny, only one of the three batteries was having the issue, when i wsa using a three bank chager, replaced them with my delco batteries that month, problem was gone.......get sealed batteries for better success keeping your boat clean and free from venting fumes....and less maintenance from not having to remember to top opp the battery water

when in my garage is do, but when i am at tournaments, the tarp is on overnight, compartments closed

If you keep the fluid level at the bottom of the level indicator ring when it is fully charged, you won't get the overflow. If you have too much, when the battery is gassing, it gets in the cap tubes (look at the bottom of the battery caps). You don't want the level high enough to reach the tubes at any point with any charge level.

Anyone used the Duracell AGM marine batteries? I have read that they are made by the same company that makes Deka batteries. I know they are the most affordable sealed battery that I have found. A group 31 for $166.00 at Sams Club. Just wondering if anyone has any reports on these. Not many reviews on the web to read. I will admit I think I overfilled both batteries last time and by the way they are both Everstarts from Wally World.

i myself stay away from AGM batteries, we use them in the trucking industry, as you noted, they cost almost twice as much as the Delco batteries i use, i get 4-5 years from my delco batteries, from what i see in the trucks, i can not buy into an AGm lasting me 10 years

Latest posts

Back