Curious

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Greenia

Reaction score
Ok, I am getting ready to order a Z7, but I ran across this : 2005 Triton TR-21X Bass Boat, 225 Yamaha Vmax, boat and motor are certified to have only 13 hours on them. Has nice electronics,Hydraulic Jack Plate, Hot foot, MG troller.Custom cover, etc. Price is $27,500 anybody got an opinion ? I am looking at about $32,000 with my options on the Z7. I know this is a Nitro site, but I value your opinions. Thanks, Gibson...

The triton is a good boat, i don't think anyone here will tell you different. One thing to keep in mind is that Triton will have no warranty on the hull. It has to be transfered within the first 5 years after originally sold. You need to think about if thats important to you. If it is than you most likely have your answer, if not then its worth looking at. If it were me i would strongly consider it so long as it was well taken care of and checked out both hull, motor and trailer wise.

If you plan of boating on Champlain the 21 footer will be better for you than a Z7 will. I have a Z7 and while its good in the rough stuff its not a 21 footer.

St. Albans? I live in Milton and usually launch from Hathaway Point. I bought a 2006 Triton TR-21 XD last year and I like it. I had an 18' Nitro F&S before the Triton. I've always liked the layout of Tritons when I was a non-boater in a bass club years ago. Triton let me transfer the remainder of the 10 year hull warranty for $100, hope it wasn't a scam!!

Check my pics, if you see a silver GMC truck and a dark green Triton at the ramp, say hey!

Good luck on your decision. Where can you order a Nitro in our area?

I worked in Burlington, lived in Williston and fished Lake Champlain for 15 years in several 18 foot bass boats but only around the Sand Bar area, Marble Island etc ... never the broad lake. I lost an uncle to Champlain because he got caught "too far out" one day. I don't want to sound like a whimp but I'd never venture out beyond protected water with any thing less than a high sided 21 footer.... period. As you know this is one Lake that will scare the crap out of you if you're not prepared or lose focus.

My 2011 Z6 is perfect down here in NC ... not Lake Champlain. If you're going to run up and down the lake - get a big ass boat with a large dependable motor. Just my .02 cents.

Hey BobG ! You can order a Nitro at Day Brothers in Plattsburg, they are a Nitro and Tracker dealership. I looked at a Targa 18WT first but didn't like the storage. I launch at Hathaway point all the time too, right now I have a green Polarkraft, (Brown Durango) probably have seen you there. Thanks for your input, and Gary I do not venture out too far on the broad lake, I know that Champlain can kill you in a heart beat, I have been fishing it for 50 years. Sorry about your uncle. Thanks for your response also. Anyone else ???

Maybe Tritonglenn will chime in. My feeling is you can never have too much boat, condition would be my only criteria.

Steve,

I went from a NX882(forerunner of the Z-7) to a new 20X2 and the difference in size, weight, storage and ride are like night and day.. I fish tournaments on the big lake all the time and make the run from Ti north to Essex when Im on them...

In that type of atmosphere, the bigger boat and motor is invaluable, but I cant choose the days I fish and if its windy on T-day I have to do what I have to do..

If you are Rec fishing, the Z-7 with the warranty and a 150 Merc four stoke would be the way I would go.. Its all the boat you will need and I really enjoyed mine for the years I had it.

You choose the days you fish, and if its really bad, you can either stay home or choose to launch in a place to fish protected waters from the prevailing wind.

There are two things I worry about when I see an 05 with 13 hours on it.

1) Was the head blown or computer fried and it had to be reset..

or 2) Did it really sit unused all that time and if so.. What are the cylinder walls like.. Was it re-winterized and fogged every year, or other year, etc.. etc..

Best of luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

Luke

Thanks guys, think I am going to order the Z7, then I will know what I have...

Latest posts

Back