Cranking Hookups or Lack Of

• Thread starter Jimmy Easterling
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
Making an effort to learn to crank. Yesterday I dropped two decent fish at the side of the boat, this morning I lifted four in the boat and all but one came off as soon as it hit the deck. I am not setting the hook like worm fishing I'm just loading up on the rod and cranking them in. Any advice?

Stop lifting them into the boat and letting them hit the deck. Seriously. That's my best advice according to what you are doing. Worm fish, spinnerbaits, jigs, etc... I'll lift them in the boat, unless they are a big fish, and then I'll use the net. But with a topwater or crankbait, I net the fish. If it's got trebles on it, I have a net on deck waiting.

Second thing - treble hooks. How sharp are yours? I used to replace every single factory hook with quality aftermarket hooks because most companies put junk on their crankbaits. Nowadays, I'm seeing many manufacturers using much better quality hooks, but even then, I see some that are lacking sharpness (or the right angle for that matter). Check every point on every hook and make sure you are using extremely sharp, quality trebles.

Keep the rod tip down and the fish from jumping. Don't horse the fish to the boat. It ain't a worm hook, and a bass with a crankbait in his mouth out of the water while shaking his head is a nightmarish sight to me. I keep the fish from jumping, play it carefully to the boat, and have a net waiting in the water to lead him into (don't swipe the net towards him - lead him into it).

Line. I like copolymers for cranking. I used Super Silver Thread for many years before switching to Yozuri Hybrid. I have been experimenting lately, but I still like those two copolymers, particularly the Yozuri Hybrid line.

All the best,

Glenn

Yes...keep em' off the deck and keep pressure always.

AND be super careful with cranks and treble hooks...they HURT!:lol:

I have always heard to use a medium action rod for crankbaits so you can keep pressure on the fish without ripping the hooks out. Set the hook hard, keep the tip down so they don't jump. This is what happens when you swing them into the boat and reach for them as they shake their heads:

5_Jun.JPG

I bought a cranking rod last fall(MH) and a medium one this summer. There was an interesting article about this in an issue of Bassin written by Ike, he said for anything with treble hooks he uses the glass composite rods, allows the fish to get a better bite before the hook sets. Makes sense to me. So far I like mine, still adjusting the reels and line.

Back