crankbaits

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
I've never been a crankbait fisherman, so bare with me.

I have an upcoming tournament on a lake I have fished every year for the last 4 years. Only one year did we bring in a limit of 8 fish, fishing weeds and pads with lizards and senkos.

This year I'm making a go of it and pre-fishing from now until the tournament (Aug. 28th). I'm thinking we should be throwing crankbaits for part of the day, along with a c-rig a little later in the day.

I'm looking at Rapala's DT series bait (seem easy enough to use), anyone have any success with these? I'm looking at maybe 3 colors and two depth sizes to buy. Any suggestions would be helpful.

BTW - BPS has a sale on these :)

Bruce, I use these crankbaits often in 3 main colors -- Crawfish, Shad and Sunfish patterns. You will need to experiment with the color bsed on water conditions and forage but these 3 colors will be a good start. I use all 3 models: DT6, DT10 & DT16 depending on what depth the structure is that I'm fishing and how deep the fish are. Normally when you run around a lake you will see that fish and baitfish will generally be hanging around a certain depth, let's say 12 ft. in this example. Go find some structure (especially creak channels and road beds) around that depth and use the DT16 to get down and did the bottom. After you throw the crankbait throw a c-rig or dropshot before you leave the spot. If your lake has lily pads I would try a horny toad or something similar early in the morning. The crankbait bite will be there in the heat of the day so go after the shallow fish first. Hope this helps and good luck on your tournament!

Bandit 200's and 300's are my primary baits in babybass color. Once they hit bottom I slow down just enough so they don't lose contact but don't dig in either...

BF

Pretty much all my CB are Rapala's I think they make a really nice product that is priced right. 99% of the time when I pull them out of the box they will run true and no adjustments needed. And yes I have CB's in all the DT-series this is a very effective bait for me in the summer time. I have pretty much all the main colors that have been talked about so far. I have some really deep holes I fish in the summer at a lake close to my house and the DT-16 has pulled in more fish then I can even count.

JimBob,what kind of line and what #test when throwing the DT 16's,thanks.

I use Berkley XL in the 10# and I also use BPS XPS Mono in #10 as well.....both have reeled in a good number of 6 and 7lb bass......

The water i fish is anywhere from 16-25ft deep so there are times I will have half the rod in the water trying to get a couple of extra feet deeper. I find the closer to the bottom I can run them the better my chances for fish

Where to begin and end on this subject. I am a crank bait fisherman it is my main weapon of choice. There are so many tactics that can be used with crank baits I could be here all day ;). Deep diving tactics are the hardest and one that gives you a workout also.

I am rapala man 95% of my crank baits are rapala, as for colors for the DT series shad, sliver and fire tiger. DT-16 & DT-10 you will want to make the longest cast possible it will reach it's maximum depth 20 feet from your boat. Reeling fast will not make the lure go deeper either so save your energy. rod tip placement will make a big difference on the depth the lure will dive, the lower the tip to make it dive faster, raise the tip to have the opposite affect. Also pause once in a while in your retrieve 70% of the bass I nail is at the pause..

Good luck

X

Read this article -->>>

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/fishing/freshwater/article/0,13199,1078410,00.html

So what depths do you all make with each? So far I feel like I can work 7-8 ft good with a bandit 300. I can't seem to get it down to the 10 ft level. I am using 10# berkley sensation.

I know I could switch to a bigger or different crankbait but think this 300 should dig a little deeper than I am getting it.

With a DT-10 at a 150feet cast I usually get about 8 to 10 feet using PLine C-XXX 10lb , cast it about 200-250 feet I can easly get down to 10 to 11 feet. Best way of finding out how deep you are getting is to fish area that lets say 8 feet, cast 100 ft, 150ft, 250ft and see which cast and retierve hits the bottom. Rapala prints a book that lets you know what pound test vs distance vs lure and the depth you get.. It took me a while to get to the point where I know extactly where my lure is..

X

250 feet sounds like quite a throw......thats 83 yards......maybe I need to get better gear. I would think that very few people actually cast this far....I would be inclined to believe that 50-100ft is about what most people can do. I would like to see you throw a DT-16 250ft.......

Challenge extended....

I had the wife all but emptying a Curado 101 spool in the backyard... 3/8oz jig, 4 power rod, 12# P-Line Hi-vis, that's good for at least 80 yards... unnoficially...

So, right equipment and practice, it is possible to cast that far... but I agree that for the most part people are casting in the 75-100 feet area.

I think the average crankbait spends the first 1/3 of the retrieve getting to the deepest depth it can get, and the last 1/5 coming back up. You have to plan your 'target' with that in mind.

There is a book, "Precision Crankbaiting" that gives guide curves for most (if not all) of the cranks that are out there.

http://www.thenextbite.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=7F054F13-3048-725D-6C1750F6E3F622F7

how big is your back yard sim.......if my wife was throwing 80 plus yards she would be landing in the neighbors pool 5-6 houses away......

and I will go back to my orignal statment......I want to see a DT-16 thrown 250ft.

Does anybody know what the longest cast on record is???

we have a large retension basin just off the corner of our back yard.... fairly open area.

When you think of a football field and you think of 80 yards on a football field that seems like a hell of a throw.

I have been fishing for a long time and I don't think I have ever made a throw longer than 50 yards.....maybe its because I fish alot of banks and heavy cover and never have a reason to try and throw that far.....

Well, I'd have to go and measure to be sure... we were doing nothing but long distance and very little "accuracy"... I was teaching her how to trust the brakes, etc.

I maybe exagerating (I did say unnoficial) but we were practicing with a full spool 101 and there was very little left on the spool when the bait stopped... I guestimate eighty yards...

Now, you've made me want to go check...

I believe baits can be heaved quite a ways......but i know when I think in terms of football field measurements 80 yards to me might as well be a mile.....you and your wife could very well be throwing 80 yards.....I am not calling you a liar.....if reels are good enough now a days to throw 80 plus yards thats great.....I would be interested to know the results if you do go and measure the throws.....

With my Curado SF and a 7'11 foot Gloomis rod I have come very close empting the line out a couple of times. I really did not take my yard stick that day and I am only guess mating Nor am I stating every time I cast I come close to empting the spool.. As sim mentioned nothing but power and no accuracy, I have been fishing with a baitcaster since I was five so I have plenty of practice under my belt.

But I also use DT's for surfcasting which I should have mentioned I have 11 foot st croix with a penn spin fisher bail less and I usually cast 150 to 250 feet with 8 pound test. Don't get me wrong I agree most of my casts are around 100 feet, getting them out there real far gets exhausting. As I mentioned above this tactic will wear U out , I always see people fishing DT-10 and DT16 short range, which in my book is incorrect.

Thanks

X

Ok, so the DT series it is. I'll break the bank and go with the 3 sizes and 3 or 4 colors. Also sounds as if 10lb test is the choice line. Any more info?

Thanks guys

Rapala DT's are great boxed baits. The threadfin and silver/black are my proven producers in the 10 & 16 especially. They have a factory "shaved" bill that really increases flight/distance and a faster depth is acheived. (Don't beat it on rip-rap too much, because the bill is a bit more fragile due to its' thin cut.) I like 10# XPS Flourocarbon which will reach a true 10ft. on an average cast. (60 - 80 ft.)

Jimbob - Come on down to GA and you'll see 100+ yard casting to open water schooling spots and stripers. A Super Spook, Sammy 115/128, and 7" Redfin are just a few that we heave on 14# test, 7'6"+ rods. With our water clarity, the schoolers can spook easily, so most of our topwater fishing is parking on an underwater hump or point and "spool-dumping" to breaking fish.

As far as the line casting distance record, I believe Bill Carter Sr. held it for the longest time working for and representing Zebco.

I hate to be the one to pee in the Post Toasties here but I've thrown DT's in several sizes and colors and never caught jack with them. I do well with other Rapalas such as Shad Rap and Fat Rap and caught bass but nada on the DT's. Really, I do my best crankbaiting with Bomber, Norman, Mann's, and Storm. I especally like the Bomber A's and Flat Shad, Mann's Baby 1 Minus and Storm Sub Wart and Wiggle Wart. Oh yeah, can't forget the very best, Rattle Traps. I've probably caught more on Rattle Traps than all the other combined.

I'm not saying DT's are bad lures, I've just never had any luck with them.

Harpo

Have any of you all ever tried those pricey Daiwa crankbaits with the metal lips? They look interesting but at 13 bucks I don't want to experiment too much. The only crankbait with a metal lip I've ever used is an old Arbogast Mud Bug. I always catchs fish but more Catfish than anything else....and I hate Catfish.

Harpo

A 100+ yards.....an entire football field.......:blink:

Talking about metal lip lures I use this one for stripers and Pike..

the Rapala Sliver

sliver_lg.jpg

Jimbob - We've actually used a range finder on casts behind our old store of over 120yds. (that's a football field, endzone to endzone) with a 7'med. Pro Qualifier rod and a Curado 200. When we received the new Calcutta DC's in '03, we spooled one with 10# and with a 1oz. casting sinker the longest cast was just shy of 160yds. If you ever go surf fishing and don't make a cast past 150yds. or more, you'll probably notice a few snickers and couple people scooting away. (LOL!) With an 11' rod I can almost hit the 300yd. (that's three entire footbal fields) mark with a 2.5oz. pyramid, 12# test. Anytime you'd like to see it, stop by BPS ATL on a Friday and I'll be more than happy to show you in person. I love a challenge almost as much as I love the look on someone's face afterwards.:D

Xmytruck...

Those baits suck... they absolutely will not catch Stripers or Walleye anywhere I fish!

:D

Here is some records for Fly rods, 320 feet..not bad for a fly rod

DOUBLE-HANDED FLY DISTANCE

256.33 feet held by Scott Simmonds (cast off ground) 04/04/04; Equipment: Grand Prix Double Handed Tournament Fly Rod with Airflo T120 (cut down to 115g) Shooting Head

248 feet BFCC SENIOR's Record is held by Mike Marshall (cast off ground) 04/04/04.

299.2 feet OLD British (BCA) Record held by Hwyel Morgan (platform cast)

320.9 feet ICSF World Record held by Thomas Maire (Germany) (platform cast)

290 feet ACA American Record held by Steve Rajeff (cast off ground)

11 ft surf rods and modifited rod and reels don't count. I am talking in a bass boat with bass gear. Not slinging heavy casting weights with outrageously long surf rods. I surf fish a little differnent I actually walk into the water out to the 2nd and 3rd sand bar and actually fish....not just throw a weight and piece of bait out into the surf and sit on the beach and wait for something to happen.

No Way and I mean no way can you set the hook on a bass with 100+ yards of line out in the water.....

And Dan J if you can cast 300 Plus yards then you have the guy that holds the world record beat. The world record is 272 yards.....

Jimbob - I never stated I could surpass the 300yd mark. My exact words were, "With an 11' rod I can almost hit the 300yd. mark", though I haven't found anybody willing to swim out and measure yet. (LOL!) But yes, for only the price of admission, you can watch me heave a Super Spook or Sammy 115/128 on a 7' 10" med/fast IMX rod, dumping a spool of 14# Excel off a stock Chronarch MG to the tune of over a 100 yards. Beleive it or not, you are more than welcome to prove me wrong. You might want to ask a few on this site who have been open water fishing with me first. It's not a rarity either. A large number of surface school fishermen can and do the same and even more. As your proficiency with a baitcaster improves, you might wish to give it a try before casting doubt on others. I'm on the water 4 - 6 days a week, usually hopping schoolers, if you ever get the chance to come to "Hotlanta" you can see for yourself.

Dan no offense but I have been slinging bait casters for a long time I am very proficient with a bait caster. I still stand by my remark....I want to see you be able to catch a fish with 100+ yards of line out in the water.

I don't fish that way and do not have a reason to try and cast 100+ yards so to me that is a waste of my time when I am fishing.

Put my order in at Backwaters, order will be here Monday! I stuck with the DT10 & DT16 series this time around ;)

you will be happy with them Bruce...very fine product.

Now hopefully the fish in your area like them as well.

Fish points with them and drop offs and cast past the mark and those baits will produce for U..

Latest posts

Back