Crank Bait Rod? St Croix avid Meduim Action or St Croix avid crank bait rod

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XMYTRUCK XMYTRUCK

Reaction score
Hello

I am looking in getting a crank bait rod and I was comparing the 7 foot St Croix avid Meduim Action or St Croix avid crank bait rod, and was wondering what you guys think which rod whould be better. The Avid Muduim action could be used no just for cranks baits while the crank bait rod is only designed for cranks..

Thanks

X

Because its desgned for cranks you cant use it with anything else?? lol

I would get the crankbait rod. I use them with spinnerbaits too.

As a matter of fact, look at the BPS Crankin Stik. You can get three for the price of one St Croix and there really isnt much difference in the actions.

Just my .02

Mini

I would get the crankbait rod too. The crankbait series has a more moderatate tip action and it much better for cranks. The med action St Croix is very stiff with a really fast tip. I have a few of them and they are not the best solution for cranks. If your using it as an all purpose rod it may do fine but personally i dont like them one bit for crank( when i use them). I actually like a really limber rod, i use a fiberglass st croix.

Buy the least expensive of the two. The fish don't know and they'll hook up with either rod.

I have 3 St. Croix, glass rods I use for cranking and spinnerbaits. Love em. You get what you pay for.

Basswest. I have two of them, i would love to get a thrid. Mine are the old pro glass model 7' med action. I love them for cranks and spinnerbaits. I use them for spinnerbaits mainly since i seem to have a distain fo rcrankbaits ;).

I have 2 of the st. croix crankin' sticks... excellent rods... as others have stated, don't compare the "medium" of the cranking rod to the medium in a "worming" rod... while they are both the same when it comes to power (the weights they will handle)... thier action is entirely different... the cranking stick has a moderate action (rod will flex farther to the middle third) while the worming rod will have a faster action (rod will flex in the first third).

For cranking, you generally want a more moderate action... then you chose Medium or Medium Heavy for the baits you intend to throw - Medium for bandits. bombers, jerkbaits... medium heavy for deaper/heavier cranks or cranking in grass with rattle traps, etc...

BPS Crankin' Sticks for me. I have a 7' and a 6'6". Like mini said, "you can get three Crankin Sticks for the price of one St. Croix".

You can spend more, but why?

Steve

With crank bait rods, it is more about a moderate tip - so stay away from the fast action, extra fast action rods.... forget about the medium, light, heavy, extra heavy stuff -- its all about tip....

d

(for those of you reading this thinking "he just teed up an easy one to knock out of the park.... DON'T)

No my only issue is to choose between medium and medium heavy I need a rod that will will throw lite baits and DT-16 which weight around 3/4 oz

Thanks

X

depends on your definition of "light baits"....

If you're talking bandits, then the Medium Heavy will do well for both...

I have falcon meduim light for anything below 1/4, the one crank bait I always throw is a jointed shad rap whichs only weights 1/4 oz. Which I know I could use the falcon to throw this bait but the falcon rod always has a x-rap on it :)...

thanks

X

Latest posts

Back