Columbus, MS Tenn-Tom waterway fishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betty Smith

Reaction score
The fishing is still a little slow, but Johnny pulled out a nice white crappie from our favorite hole today, as well as a keeper bass. VERY slow going around the river due to TONS of logs floating downstream. Was only about 59 degrees out today and got a little chilly out on the water. Still beats sitting home watching someone else fish on TV!:D

That's it...just rub in on us norfers!:lol:

Congrats on a decent day:cool:

I fished Columbus pool a lot in the late 80's, that was one fine crappie fishery.

It's not too bad....if you go fish the cuts, you can pull the occasional crappie out, but I still think it's a little cool yet to be out. Water temp. isn't even a consistent 65 degrees yet. Once it warms up, then, yes, it'll be a great crappie hole!

Just WATCH THE STUMPS~!~ It's been raining so much of late, at least one major rainstorm a week and there are tons of submerged stumps, not all in the shallows, either. It's really not safe to go H-bent-for-leather down the river right now. We were only going along at a fast idle and found a huge stump. Thank Heavens my husband knew what he was doing. Had he been going any faster, I think the tree would have won that bout. We actually had the front half of the boat out of the water, resting on the stump. Had the sonar going, but it didn't show the stump till we were right on top of it. Not much help from that resource. And the water was so stained, you couldn't see the tree till we were right up on it. Usually, by summmer, the logs have been flushed downstream a bit, but that hasn't happened quite yet.

We went out again yesterday. There was a huge crappie tournament that started on Saturday and good heavens at all the boats! We had about 5, including ours in our usual cutout. Today was the second day of the tournament and I hope all the guys came in safely. Wind was about 20-30 mph and a lot of those fellows were in the little jon boats fishing. Water temp. was only 59 degrees when we were out on Saturday. It was a gorgeous day to be out on the water, really, the first decent day we've had so far this year. We caught a few crappie, but threw them back. Just a bit on the small side. The water is quite stained and it's supposed to be raining for the next several days. Can't believe how much the river has been remodeled over the last year. A lot of our landmarks have been washed down the river. We got to our one favorite bass spot and a lot of the structure has washed away. I didn't even recognize it at first, coming up from a different direction. We ran into one guy who was fishing the tournament and said he'd caught 6 keepers. Not much luck for most other fishermen we ran into. Will be glad when the weather warms up enough I don't need those longjohns when we go out. Man! The windchill headed back to the take-out has been something else for the last few times we'd been out. Should be just a few more weeks and it'll be prime time for fishing in MS!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:wub::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Latest posts

Back