Cold Weather/water Bassin

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
HI all,

Well it is still pretty cold on the East Coast. 40-50. just wondering if anybody had any tips on catching some bass in river systems during the cold parts of the month. I fish a decent size river that is rather narrow and shallow. Usually averages around 7-9' deep, but now being flooded to around 14-19' average. Any ideas? tips? anything? are they on thir beds now big and pregnant or what? thanks all, going to do some fishing tommorow and this coming weekend so just looking for some tips so i dont waste my time. I have tons and tons of lures, so just let me know what you all like this early in the season and I'll give it a try..Thanks:)

In TN the LM bass are not on the beds yet so yours are not for sure. The guys bass fishing here now are using crankbaits/jerkbaits or jigs, then later in April will progress to spinner baits, then topwater first light AM's and plastics after the sun hits the water. In June/July dropoffs on Carolina rigs. Sort of a progression as the water warms.

Nope they arent on the beds yet for sure up here. The water is way to cold for that.

This time of year you really need to fish slow, If you think you are fishing slow enough slow down more. I usually use a jig and pig or slow roll a spinnerbait. suspending jerkbaits also work well this time of year up here.

What river are you fishing?

Concord River (Bedford 225 area) or Fairhaven Bay Sudbury River area., and then Probably Knops Pond this weekend.

Here in PA, the ealry spring bite when water temps are in the low 40's is, for me, a suspending jerkbait, crank very slowly, water temps here are low 40's right now, very cold still and its freakin April!

JG,

hey i grew up in Billerica, small world.....

the water is way to cold for the fish to even think of bedding. the snow last week and pending snow this thursday will really slow down the temp in the concord.

i would pitch a jig and work it really slow, the water temps will keep the bass' metabolism really low.

you have better luck at knopps. the water should warm a little quicker than a river.

i plan on fishing knopps in the next week or two

GregD

At 40 degrees these fish are not anywhere close to staging yet, and their metabolism is VERY slow- remember they are cold blooded creatures. Slow your lures way way down. I know nothing about your area, but I'd look for some warm water, pay close attn to your temp gauge. It may also be that the afternoon bite is better than the AM bite.

So, another question, in this very cold water in the river systems, will the bass be in the "strong current" or are they avoiding using any energy at all right now? Just thatr there is so much flooded water, that the trees are now "suitable cover" in my opinion, although maybe they still dont travel too far to even get to it. Thanks

i would stay off the rivers untill the flood plains start to receed, the first reason is safety. remember the water is just above freezing in most locations. it only takes 3 minutes before hypothermia sets in and then you sleeping with the fishes.....

as far as knopps pond, i would spend most of the mid morning usuing my electronice to locate any fish. the mornings will be very cold. i would look in the 15 to 20' range. the lake is not all that deep, so you may find them there. the deeper water will be warmer than water at 8/10'. it will really be a wait and see situation.

fish slow, the fish will not use any more energy than needed to eat. don't expect them to crush anything you are putting out there. my advice is fish so slow that it seems painfully slow, then slow down a little more. if you don't get any bites change depth. watch your electronics. work many differant depths. check the coves after noon time. check to see if teh water temps have gone up. 2f makes a big differance when teh main lake is 40f.

let us know what you find, i can't imagine the fishing will be any better this weekend with the pending snow.....

GregD

Latest posts

Back