Check Please!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
New record for me...

Been checked 5 times this season already!!!

2 by the DNR.

2 by the Sheriff Marine Patrol

1 by the Coast Guard...

now, if you count the saftey inspection I had at the launch last week by the Coast Guard Auxiliary (I passed-got the sticker to prove it), then I'm at 6...

Can anyone beat that???

Must be that everyone wants to check out my awesome TV-18!!!

az

Been to Dale three times this year and have been checked every time.

I've only been checked twice in my entire life. Once by a OKC police officer who was only interested in seeing my city permit which was a good thing because my state license was expired. The other time was at Lake Fork in Texas. Those guy looked at everything. I was afraid I was going to get a cavity search from those two. I don't think they liked my OU cap.

Harpo

There is a small lake on the West Side of Houston that is called Fayette Lake...well because this lake is only 2400acres it has a slot limit on it and the game wardens are always on it making sure people aren't keeping the wrong size fish......well so far this year I have been stopped everytime I have been on it.....and after this weekend I have been on the lake 12 times since Feb....

I've been checked only two times in a LOT of years fishin'.

On a small lake in Maryland, years ago, I saw a guy in a small JonBOat who was waving like he neaded help. So, I headed over only to find he was from DNR and wanted to check EVERTHING on my boat. AND he was nasty about it.

He took my driver's and fishing license and, after telling me it was ok to fish until he got back, putted off to shore to "check these out".. He had no radio in his boat.

I started fishing the shoreline back down the lake and did so for at least 45 minutes until I saw him sitting at about the same place where I saw him the first time. So I went to him again and he handed me my license's and then told me his motor had cut out (9 hp Evinrude I believe). No trolling motor and NO oars! Can I tow him in? Well, I casually backed off with my trolling motor, started the big motor, and after saying, "see ya later", went to the ramp, loaded up and went home. I didn't fish that part of Maryland for a long time:)

And before anyone says I shouldn't have left him there... YES I should have as nasty as he was.

Bill

Good for you Bill. You just moved up several points in my opinion poll.

Harpo

Andy, I got "checked" Saturday. The Sheriff boat just went by and asked how I was doing and left. Dem Sheriff's luv dem SPARKLES!!! They know that tin boat owners are a little shady, and you do look like a violator. LOL We need to get together and fish some where.

Gene

Yep...

I'm shady alright...LOL

yes to the fishing somewhere...

I've been looking at some on-line maps from the DNR site...

Bankston Lake looks interesting to me...thinking about giving it a try here sometime soon...it's your direction from here, but still closer to me...it's south of Mattawan off I-94...several master angler Largies have been caught from it...think it's got pike too...

We need to get Marke over this way too! Who needs St. Clair? We'll show him some REAL fishing...LOL

az

Bill, while you've moved up on the Harpo scale. I'm thinking you should have tied him up, and then tried planing out -- but darnit, did you forget to trim your motor back down? I'm evil.

Or you could have just taken him for the ride of his life... I hope he was wearing his life jacket.

When I first moved to KY there were four different agencies patrolling the lakes...State Patrol, Water Patrol, local sheriffs, and, I believe, Coast Guard. You could get checked four times a day. Somebody finally figured out what a waste this was because most of these guys were mostly just boat riding and reduced it to just the Water Patrol.

Hutch

Rumor is that both the NCDNR and SCDNR are really tightening down on the license and coast guard checks they are doing on the local lakes. Probably due to the vast increase in boating we've had, coupled with the influx of newbies and visitors that will be on Wylie the next month.

Tex

6 times! sounds like a weekend for me. Havent kept count but was check by coast gaurd, dc police, maryland fish and game and virginia fish and game in a 5 hour period last month. I get checked at least once a weekend never fail they even know me by name and still stop me. Fishing around dc with 3 different regulatory bodies and rules sucks.

mike

3 different regulatory bodies?? That's it??? Cake walk,... Try dealing with the Michigan DNR, Ohio DNR, Ontario MNR and Walpole Indian Reservation authority's,..and if that isn't enough then we'll toss in the Macomb County Sheriff Marine division, the Monroe County Sheriff and the USCG, and the U.S. Border Patrol!!......Welcome to the St.Clair/Detroit River/Lk.Erie chain boys and girls!!!

Say the word Andy and we'll make it work. I just pulled Bankston up on my lake map cd. Is it the one in Van Buren county?

Gene

Yep...

Van Buren...

How far would that be for you...

Mattawan is about exit 65 or 66ish off I-94...then, it looks like it's another 6 miles maybe...

I'm 2 miles from exit 27...

az

Looks like about an hour and a half for me.

Gene

Maybe we should look for something closer to you...

Split the difference a little better...

any ideas?

something around K-zoo maybe?

don't like to get too close to the 'cities' to minimize fishing pressure...

az

These stops are a violation of 4th Amendment rights.

In Bill's case, the officer's lack of professionalism and proper equipment is a dramatic example. He effectively detained Bill for an extended period of time, without good cause.

Difficult and expenasive to fight these types of cases, but someday, the wrong person is gonna be stopped by a rude officer, and the case will make it's way up the courts.

Any attorneys in here familiar with the laws and issues surrounding this?

I've been gritting my teeth every time this post resurfaces. Although my stop (and CIII) did not result in a ticket, I feel the law was misapplied. I'm not a whiner and will take my punishment if I do the deed but the DNR Officer that stopped me for speeding through a no wake zone (his definition), was off base. When he flagged us over he asked me if I knew why he stopped me, I said no, he said I had committed a no wake violation under a bridge. It was at this point I had to decided whether or not I was going to challenge him or just roll over and hope I could "yes sir, no sir" talk him out of a citation. I chose the latter and did not get a ticket but made my point nonetheless!! I came off plane with my motor trimmed out. When she sat down, I just bumped the throttle and did not trim her in so, my nose stood up pretty straight in the water but I was at a high idle. The DNR officer agreed that I was not going too fast but he did not like the position of the nose of my boat. Said I was pushing too much water. I explained to him that the no wake was for speed safety since the weekend boaters and water skiers were getting drunk and hitting the pilings of the bridge as well as fishermen (it is tucked within a bend). He agreed but the legal definition of no wake is very broad. Since he wasn't writing me a citation, I backed off. Now CII....he dodged a bullett (pun intended), he did not have a throwable on his boat and they let him off. That normally is a guaranteed ticket. I feel for the DNR cause they have a monumental job and have had huge budget cuts but............

TOXIC

Andy, I don't know that side of the state so pick one and lets make it happen. One of the guys here at work said that fine lake was a good bass lake, but he fishes for gills mainly. I think it's closer to Battle Creek.

Gene

Gene-

I'll look in my map book this weekend and we'll figure something out...

I'm sure we'll be able to catch more bass than we did at a certain "St." lake...

LOL

az

The MI. DNR has more authority than the State Police!!

They can enter your house without a warrant if they "feel" the have sufficient reason to inspect your freezer etc if they're investigating a game violation. They carry a big stick!

Was checked for fishing license June 11th on Champlain in VT, day before VT/NY official "catch and keep" bass season.

Was checked for fishing license June 20th in Michigan on lake behind Ken's house. DNR guy had to take a second look at my "printed at home from the internet" non-resident fishing license. Ken didn't even have his license on him, but he looked "honest" enough. He also checked boat for appropriate PFDs, fire extinguisher and measured the tourney fish in the livewell!! Then Ken directed the DNR guy to a Ranger boat with two "suspicious" guys onboard!! LOL!!!

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back