Carter's Lake?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okuma

Reaction score
Anyone here fish Carter's Lake? We're hoping to hit it up tomorrow and net us some alewives but we don't really know anything about netting them. We've heard horror stories from local guides about getting there at 2:30 AM and throwing the net for three hours but I'm thinking they may just be trying to scare folks off.

We found 'em :D

2013-08-11 07.36.17.jpg
2013-08-11 09.57.17.jpg
2013-08-11 10.23.47.jpg

Uh, yeah. Good looking fish.

Thanks!

Yesterday was a disaster. We caught some good fish but everything else took a dump :D

I dropped a 17 lb striper upside down on my foot and he finned me through my crocs. My foot looked like a golf ball had been implanted in it. Besides that we had a lot of electrical problems on the boat, the most annoying of which was the Lowrance picking up interference from the trolling motor which resulted in us tearing out almost all the wiring for it to try and find a solution. I'm gonna post more about it in another section later.

It's going to be a little while before I head back out there so this may be my last fish for a bit:

2013-08-12 07.09.45.jpg

Ouch. But if you have to take a break from fishing to fix boat problems, that's a pretty decent fish to stop at.

Nice stripes! Sorry about the foot. Good luck on the gremlin hunt. With a boat it is something that comes with the territory. Just when you think you've got them all exterminated, another one rears its head. Hope you heal quick and are back on the water soon!

Finally had a trip where nothing broke! :D

Boat has been running good and I've gotten rid of most of the gremlins.

Here's a pic from yesterday on Carter's Lake (with me making my best "dumbass" face for some reason):

2013-08-31 09.23.34.jpg

Another nice one!

What bait and presentation are you using? The wife and I are getting itchy to do some striper fishing on Hartwell. Any tactics you think will translate?

Another nice one!

What bait and presentation are you using? The wife and I are getting itchy to do some striper fishing on Hartwell. Any tactics you think will translate?

Do you do much live bait fishing? And have you ever had to net your own bait? (Just to let me know where to start on the "how-to")

We've downlined shiners, bluegills, and bluebacks on Lanier. Don't think we've ever live bait fished on Hartwell. I've got a cast net somewhere, haven't used it in years, will have to find it and remind myself how to throw it.

If you wait until winter you could probably just get you some trout and freeline those behind the boat, they last forever and are easy to keep. Start in the back of creeks and work your way out.

I run four of these rigs for downlines right now, and run similar rigs for flatlines/freelines in the winter, just with no weight and maybe larger hook/leader depending on the bait being used:

Okuma Cold Water line counter reel
Ugly Stick Striper rod
14lb Sufix Elite mainline
1.25 oz swivel sinker
6-8 ft of 10lb Sufix Flouro Leader
#4 Owner Mutu Light Circle Hooks

I'm not sure of any guides on Hartwell but a trip with one would probably be great just to get a few spots that you can have some trust in and maybe pick-up some lake specific tactics and find out what bait they are using exactly.

Also if you want to I'd be down to meet you up there one morning and we could try it out, or we could meet me at Carter's or Allatoona and I can just show you what works there and maybe it would translate.

You know, I might have to come down there and bring my GoPro so I can tape some of this action - course I'd have to catch at LEAST one ;) You know, to exercise my aging old arms and get the blood to pumping :D. I can pretty much come anytime you say. :rolleyes::D

Okuma Cold Water line counter reel
Ugly Stick Striper rod
14lb Sufix Elite mainline
1.25 oz swivel sinker
6-8 ft of 10lb Sufix Flouro Leader
#4 Owner Mutu Light Circle Hooks

Does the long Flouro leader cut down the visibility? Is that the point?

I'm not sure of any guides on Hartwell but a trip with one would probably be great just to get a few spots that you can have some trust in and maybe pick-up some lake specific tactics and find out what bait they are using exactly.

Also if you want to I'd be down to meet you up there one morning and we could try it out, or we could meet me at Carter's or Allatoona and I can just show you what works there and maybe it would translate.

Either/or. It's probably about time we got a fishing date on the calendar.

Latest posts

Back