Cane Pole Fishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
Back when, we would take a jon boat with a tiller mount trolling motor, cane poles (cut or store bought) around 18 feet in length (mine was telescoping to 18 feet), heavy line (I liked using a good fly line) with about a 2 to 3 ft. leader from the tip of the pole. In other words you only had 2 to 3 feet of line to fish with. Used a chugging type lure or something like a big frog and run the edge of bank constantly chugging this lure, two of us, one to run the boat and the other fished. When a bass would explode it was pandemonium. We would change positions when a fish was caught. We had some great times and fun way to spend the day.

Post your story and let us see what fishing used to be.

cq:)

We would do it the same way. I remember the first new car my dad boutht. It was a 1956 ford fairlane. We loaded up to go to Texoma Lake on a Friday night. We did this every weekend. This one time it started raining and when we got there the road was flooded. My mom told dad not to try go thru the water. He did and sure enought the water came inside the car. It was not a pretty site. Mom got the last word in. We lived 120 miles from the lake, but we did catch fish.

Used to take out the 12 foot steel boat with the 5 horse Johnson /or oars to the spot. Break out the bobbers and worms and bluegill till our hearts desire. Didn't really know any other fish and didn't care. My dad would use a cane pole (real) until he bought a fancy fiberglass "cane" pole. We would stay out all day and sometimes never move the boat and had a blast. I really miss my dad!

Randy!

Yep jigger pole. Know a guy who still does it. He has a heavy fiberglass extension pole that he got from the power company after they ran over it and crushed the largest section, attaches 18 inches of 140# mono leader and some kind of great big jointed three trebble hooked monstrosity of a lure to it. The secret to it is to vibrate the tip of the pole in the water. He sets the pole across his knees and bounces one knee to dob the tip of the pole in the water while using his other foot to control the trolling motor to troll the boat along weed beds, lilly pad edges and such. Actually gets more hits from spotted gar than he does bass but when a bass does hit it is usually a good one.

Latest posts

Back