Bunks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Launched yesterday at Ft. Randall Dam for some walleye fishing. Went to get in my boat at the dock and noticed some idiot left two of his trailer bunks floating at the boat ramp. They looked framiliar so I ran back up to my trailer. They were mine. Duct tape is my friend.

fatrap:(

Funny...........but not funny. Anyone who boats long enough will be surprised by their bunk(s) one day. Duct tape is a lifesaver. I've lashed them down with short pieces of rope also.

I have learned to check each end of each bunk when I park the trailer. ;)

They just come detached?... How?

I think I have a new check to do each time I am out.. :cool:

The lag bolts will eventually wallow out or their set holes rot out. Then the boards float up instead of staying attached to the trailer. :(

'Rap - If the bunks' carpet and wood looks good overall I'd just reset the lags in the good wood a couple inches away from the holes and soldier on. ;)

Just the holes look to be rotted out. The carpet is showing some wear but not to replacement standards. I bought six nice two by fours today and looked locally for matching marine or outdoor carpet. None in black. I'll probably just replace them all because I'll have to go to the boatramp off load and work on them. It'd be just as east to replace as to redrill if the bunks were ready to go. I had trailer centering issues when I got the Tundra and want to make sure the bunks are exactly in the same place on the supports moving them forward or aft might make a problem. It's just the time and expense. I will use spar varnish and seal the screw holes with that too. My Nitro's replacement bunks were almost 10 years old and solid when I sold it.

fatrap

When I re-wrapped my bunker board, I left the bottom of the boards exposed to allow some draining and air flow. You can also kind of check the condition of the treated wood.

I wasn

Yes...don't carpet the bottom of the boards...just the top and down the sides to let the ater drain.

I re-wrapped mine this spring. Bought the wood in Feb., left it under the roof of the hot/tub picnic area until Apr., then used water sealer on it. (three coats) Attached with stainless lag screws. Think I should be good to go for a while.

Not my first dance. I'll spar varnish and dab varnish on the lag screws like I did when I had my Nitro. Lasted a looooong time. Just waiting for the carpeting to arrive. No one stocks marine back around here. The most amazing thing was I found six perfectly straight almost knot less 2x4's at Menards.:)

fatrap

Just a friendly reminder to all of you tin drivers, DO NOT use pressure treated wood for your bunks even if they are under carpet. ;)

The chemical used to "Pressure Treat" is Zinc based (I think) and it will DISSOLVE your tin rig. Where the heck is Greg Meyer when you need him?:lol: This is his pet post.

The varnish only protects what it covers. A spot missing varnish will only hold water at that spot for the time it takes to dry out. The whole board won't fill and hold water like a leaky boot. Varnish allows for the carpet to dry without any soaking into the face of the board. As a 2x4 side is with the grain as compared to end grain which is the end of the 2x4 the cells of the wood take longer to absorbe water. The end grain soaks it up like a sponge. Spar varnish allows the board to stay mostly dry all of the time. I have experimented with this over the last 30 years and varnishing the bunk always has lenghtened the time between replacement. Dipping the lag screws in varnish actually leaves a waterproof residue inside the screw holes delaying the rotting of the threads the wood makes as it augers into the wood.

fatrap

I keep nylon tie straps for just an emrgency like that.

Replaced them yesterday and all six were water logged two broke in half when I unscrewed them from the supports. Guess it was time. Had some time left so I broke out a unused new Johnny Morris president and a 50 mil rod and threw a plastic worm. Actually caught a stump carp or two. Looking in one of my the rod boxs there were two crankin sticks n Ricky Clunn reels, a Finess rig/Diawa reel and two Enticer spinning reel with seven foot rods all with the wrappers and stickers from when I worked at BPS that I hadn't been touched. Guess Walleyes have really taken front stage with me.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back