Bummed Minn Kota

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Griffeth

Reaction score
Boy, am I bummed! I spent countless hours researching and reading posts on every board I could find about trolling motors. I had an old OMC that second gear was going out on and the old girl was starting to squeak a lot.

So, I finally decided on a Minn Kota Maxxum 65. Dad and I spent Saturday morning putting it in place, along with filling in the old OMC bolt holes. Thing was looking like a peach until we hooked the power to it and noticed that something wasn't right about the way the prop was spinning. We took the propeller off and sure enough the shaft going into the motor was bent right at the bearing.

Everything was in good shape in shipping. I bought it from Fosters. Luckily we didn't put it in the water, because the warranty wouldn't cover it if we would have.

Water temp just got right here and bass are feeding like crazy and I get to let my boat sit!

I'm sure it was just a fluke from the MK factory, but it sure bums me out!

Sorry, just had to vent.

Jeff

Hmmmmm sounds familiar to me. Only mine was poor insulation by the wiring in the foot pedal allowing it to short out. First time in the water.

Had my new MinnKota 55AT in the water for the first time Saturday. Worked like a champ.

Sometimes with as many of these as are built, every now and then one comes off the line that will have problems. Then by the time one goes from the factory floor, shipped to a reseller and sometimes then to a retailer...damages can occur in shipping.

Thank goodness for warranties!

I have an AT55 that I have abused in every possible way. Still running strong. The mount is starting to get a little creaky but I think that's more a matter of tightening it back down to the boat.

I had a Garmin finder that was NG right out of the box so I know how you feel but I still think you got the best TM made.

Harpo

My first MG was similiar to this. It was the standard Tracker TM that came with my 1st boat. First time out it would go in circles. Called MG and they sent me to a warrenty center and it was fixed. still frustrating as heck.

Latest posts

Back