Braided line ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
I just got a Midas Browning spinning reel that is spooled with a braided line. First time every using it. What is the main difference between mono and braided? thanks, kenny

IT doesn't break near as easy, and lasts 10X longer before needing replacing.

You gotta learn some new knots though, it's so slick, old mono knots won't work.

Kenny braided line does not stretch & has smaller diameter. Also not good for surface (walking the dog)fishing it is to supple & will get caught in the hooks & what Pat said.

Kenny there are alot of differences in the two.

1. Braid floats more then mono.

2. Braid has 0 stretch!!

3. You will need to loosen your drag more with braid or you might burn up a gear in your

reel.

4. Braid is smaller in diameter then mono of the same lb test.

5. Braid is more sensitive then mono.

6. Braid will cut you to the bone if you hang it up and use your hand to try to break it!!

7. Most braid will cast easier then mono.

8. Braid is much better to use in think weeds, it will cut through them unlike mono.

9. It is more visible then mono!!

If you are using a round braid such as Stren Super Braid you can use the same knots you have always used, if your using something like Spider Wire, or another flat braid a Palomar knot will work best!

Hope this helps.

Kenny:

I don't know what color line you are using. I use the red 50 lb. test Powerpro.

I use a SHARPIE (green) marker on the first 48 inches of line. The water I fish has a green tint to it, so the line doesn't show as much. It really is a new ball game when using braided line, as Pat, Gunny and Greg said there is no stretch in the line. As far as replacing the line, a friend of mine suggested that I strip off all the line and put it on again from the other end(the end that was tied to the spool will become the working end of the line. You might save a couple of bucks when you need to replace it.

Mike

Kenny

Use the Palomar knot on all braided line including Stren Superbraid. Some folks even like to put a drop of glue on the knot for extra security.

Also, know that mono will absorb water which degrades its performance as well as making it heavier. . ..Some fused superlines like Berkley Fireline will not absorb water. and while true braid will hold water, it is not absorbed by the Dyneema and therefore does not weaken.

Thanks so much for the info and advice ......makes sense to me. I plan on giving it a try this weekend. Actually I had it set up with a Top Dog Jr., but reading what Greg said, guess I will try it with another lure, maybe a worm or swim bait. thanks again, kenny

Just found out you can't clip braided line and my regular sissors does not work well either.....do I need a special pair?

Just found out you can't clip braided line and my regular scissors does not work well either.....do I need a special pair?

Nothing special...go to the school supplies section in Wal-Mart or the drug store and get a small pair of Fiskers scissors. I have several pair stashed around the boat. Also the line cutters on my Browning fishing pliers cut my Power Pro real good too.

I second the Browning pliers.

There is so much information on braided line on this site....you can search braided line and have more reading than you want.

Mini

I found out that the line on my new reel is original Spiderwire #30. It is green. I guess original means that it has been improved since then. I will give it a try but I don't like the idea that I can't clip it or break it if I get a snag. Main reason is as I get older, I get use to things and don't like too much change. Who knows, I may like it. Never thought I would use a baitcaster either but now I have two and love em.Have a great weekend, kenny

Kenny, it works great in weeds and pads and I use it around docks for fishing weightless plastic. Color the last 2 or 3 feet near the bait with a black magic marker and it will disapear in the water. I use it on my frog rod (baitcaster) and 1 spinning real for fishing weightless plastics around docks, wood, riprap, anywhere line damage might be an issue. My biggest complaint is when fishing in high winds it hard to control. It's like kite string it will fly away..

BF

4. Braid is smaller in diameter then mono of the same lb test.

Because I use some small spinnerbait spools I've looked for something smaller in line diameter so I could get more line on a couple of the reels. I've never used it Gunny so if you could answer a couple of things.

1. With the zero stretch, do you have to be careful with how you set the hook?

2. Does it come in different colors?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy, sorry I missed you post, but Greg answer it for me. Black/grey/green are the normally colors for braid, but I have seen white and yellow. Best hookset with braid is to HAMMER IT HOME BABY!! :lol: just joking, sweep it.

Latest posts

Back