braid question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
I am using braided(30# Spiderwire)for the first time on a spinning reel for catfish. Even with the drag set way low it seems like it is a pretty hard pull, even by hand. Is this normal with braid or should I look elsewhere for a problem? Thanks, Eric

Braid likes to pull down into itself when spooled up and create it's own inherent drag by doing that. The larger the braid, the less likely it does this.

I tried Spiderwire on a bait caster and knotted it very easy (operator error I am sure) but my problems vanished when I used Power Pro. Not sure that has anything to do with the answer to your question, ha! Just thought I would suggest a different brand if you decide to try something else. I really liked the Power Pro.

Spiderwire and Power Pro for that matter needs to be fished with a lighter drag as there is zero stretch. It takes a little getting used to. I use it in the dark a lot and when fishing 35-50'deep in the winter sauger jigging, which I'm counting down the days......It's better when it "hurts a little" outside. Just spooled up the sauger rod today with 20lb braid.

Speaking of braid, I loaded my baitcaster with 30# Spiderwire for a flipping stick(trying to learn to flip), it doesn't seem to come off the reel very easily. I was thinking I might should try 30# FC instead. I used to throw the smaller Spiderwire with my baitcasters worm fishing and changed over to FC.

I've never tried the 30 but have had zero problems with 20. Did you use mono backing?

No scientific information but my experience is braid does requires some mono backing to keep it from digging in so. I've got friends that use sp wire braid and some that use the power pro and some that use stren braid, as for me I'm cheap and use BPS braid because of the discount and I can't tell any difference, but I'm sure that's because of my level of experience. I will tell you this that the only time I have a problem with braid is when I try to throw it too hard. I guess you will have to just try and see what works best for you.

Using mono backing will help the digging issue and save you some $. If you use a cap of braid over mono (put enough where you won't get into the mono). In most freshwater applications I do this even with mono, except for my striper equipment. It will cut your line usage in half or less. On saltwater I don't unless I'm in a temporary pinch. Develop a joining knot you have confidence in and even if a fish takes it to the knot it will go thru the guides OK if you use a good knot.

Using the mono on the spool will stop the braid from slipping also. That is the main reason I use the mono.

I have never had any problems with braid. In fact the backlashes are almost non-existent! I use it for spinnerbaits, frog fishing and flipping but use a flourocarbon leader!

They actually make/made reels that cross wind the braid so to cut down on the digging in.

Randy!

Thanks for the suggestions, will send an update after fishing today.

Used the braid today and it worked well. Had a little slipping so I will try the mono backing. Thanks for the help, guys. And ladies, also, Teri.

Eric

Latest posts

Back