Braid And Leaders

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
Nasty day out, so a few friends and a few adult beverages, relining reels, and DISCUSSION, what size leader or do you use leader with Braid. We are talking 10, 30 and 50 lb. braid.
FYI all have DD.

leader with braid will depend on the fishing I do in the Gulf of Mexico. Fishing the rigs or not and again, depends on species we're after. BUT today, had to call triple A to tow the handicap van out of the RUT my wife insists on parking in because its where the handicap ramp deploys more suitable to line up with the front door GRRRRRRR. BUT I bet she'll listen now DON'T PARK THERE LOL.

Reactions: cq
Our big disagreement, was when using a leader, how long. We all were in agreement no less than 3 feet, but max was a different discussion. I like at least the length of the rod.
Good pizza afterwards.

I have used 18in leaders, but then again, it still depends on the species were after. In deeper water (over 30 ft to 100 ft) we still don't use more than 4ft for leaders. I have not fished in waters over 100ft in a very LONG time (offshore rigs when staying overnight after narcotic searches). Now if we're using steel leaders, then that's a different story. Never have got into making my own - don't fish enough to warrant the tools and gear.

It has been years, 500 to 1500 feet of water. Late 70's I got a State Citation for a 24 lb. Barracuda in 1200 feet or water. We weighed a 54 lb. Yahoo and was in first place until the second was weighed. If memory is correct we placed 14th in Yahoo. Running weed lines. Always FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back