BPS rod comparison

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mebassn

Reaction score
Just wondering what the difference is between the XPS Pro Qualifier rods and the BPS Nitro rods? I want to get a rod for frogs, 7'6" Heavy action. Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

I assume you are talking baitcasters. I have both rods. The NITRO rod is perfect for froggin, especially if you are in the heavy grass. It works well as a c-rig and a jig rod also. It is best paired with the NITRO reel which has an advanced and heavier drag system. CIII tried mine in Michigan and went out and got one for himself!! It is a great rod that you can "customize" to any heavy application. Mine holds 30lb braid. The Pro-qualifier rods are good but they are too general purpose for me and since you said froggin....I would go with the NITO in whatever weight you like.

TOXIC

Eric,

As Scott said, it is a good rig. Be aware that this is a HEAVY duty rig! I bought mine for Striper fishing in the fall as they can make some good runs.

It is a very good rig and I am looking for one more so I can have two for the stripers!

....rod for frogs....Heavy action.

:(

I guess I'm totally alone in my suggestion on what a "proper" frog rod should be. If you buy the above rod and turn out to be very happy with it, then I'm very glad for you. Should you start losing fish on it and can't figure out why (not saying that will happen, I'm saying "if" that should happen), give me a shout. For about $50, I know of the perfect frog rod. People just don't believe me for some reason when I tell them about it (until they use it, they keep rejecting the idea).

Hope you get what you are looking for, and I sincerely hope it works out well for you.

All the best,

Glenn

"Frog Fishing Fanatic". :lol:

For about $50, I know of the perfect frog rod. People just don't believe me for some reason when I tell them about it

Awwwwwww c'mon Glenn, what's the perfect frog rod that nobody believes you about when you tell em?:huh::unsure: And what's the reel you use with it??

Uncle Billy

Not to speak out of turn here, but Mikesxpress uses the Berkely rods...no where near the rpice of the expensive BPS ones and he crushes them with it.

A bit stiff for me for the frog gig, thats why I liked it for Stripers (and maybe catfish in the 30 to 40 range)

Carlos - The funny thing is that Lontan (China) is the manufacturer of both Berkley and BPS rods. (Just to name a couple widely sold brand names they mfg.) ;)

Dan,

Does not surprise me at all. I knew the BPS rods were made there did not kow that about the Berkely ones though....

thanks man!

Hey guys, just wanted to toss in a couple of cents if you don't mind. I work at Bass Pro Shops and think both rods are very good. I have a couple of the Pro Qualifier rods and love them. My preference for my Spro Frogs though is a 7ft Hvy All Star "Big Boy" Rod and a Abu Garcia Revo SX reel with 50lb Suffix Braid. This combo gives you all the backbone you need and is still remarkably light-weight. You have got to put one in your hand to see what I mean. The Revo SX produces 24 pounds of drag (best of any reel on the market) which will allow you to drag a fish out of the heaviest weeds, hydrilla, bushes, and junk you can find. That's where the 50 lb braid comes in handy. I used this same setup two month ago fishing the bushes at Lake Falcon pitchin a Strike King Super finesse worm with a 1/4 oz weight. I hooked into a 9 1/2 pound beauty and had no problem bringing out of those bushes. The picture is about half way down the page as you scroll along. The combo is in my hand and the fish in the other. Just my two cents. http://www.tackleandrods.com/lake/flash.htm
http://www.tackleandrods.com/lake/flash.htm

Dan just named another one made at the same factory!

In all reality, the 16.5# drag on a NITRO is overkill for any bass situation. CIII plans to use his for stripe and Cats where that extra drag from a hard pulling 20# stripe or a 30lb cat is needed. Glenn, I know your setup but I can't for the life of me see how your combo would have worked pulling a 4lber out of the heavy grass and an additional 4lbs of added greenery attached that I did with the NITRO in my tournament on the Potomac. Shoreline grass and open water....yes. Nasty heavy mat..no...I had my NITRO rod bent in 1/2 getting that pig out of the mudhole!!:lol: No doubt the NITRO is heavy duty and has a specific place.

TOXIC

Actually the All Star Big Boy is still Made in Houston. Not all of the All Star rods are made over seas. Yet!

The houston office has been closed for a while. no more rods being made there.

Latest posts

Back