Bob B....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
OK Bob...I am still stalling out when coming out of the hole. Changed pulse pump, fuel lines, bulb, removed water separating fuel filter, changed inner fuel filter. I can accelerate about 1/4, if I push past that point, the motor stalls out. If I run for a little while at low speed, off plane, and then go to accelerate, all is good, or if I just let the motor run out of gear for a bit. Prime every time before start, doesnt make a difference. If I push the choke when it begans to stall out, it makes it stall out quicker.

1. Once you get it up on plane, does it run up to top rpm and speed?

2. How long has this been occurring?

3. Did it happen quickly or was the problem intermittent?

4. Have you tried a remote fuel tank?

Sorry for all the questions but I need to close the gap...;)

Questions aren't a problem, they are very refreshing. Usually, I just get a shoulder shrug and a "well, I don't know then".

1) Yes, it runs well at all speeds once I get it and keep it going. In fact, since I put the new pulse pump in, I think it may be running faster if that's possible.

2) This has been going on for the past 2 years.

3) I THINK, it began occurring right after I got it out of storage 2 years ago. I would describe it as intermittent now. It USUALLY doesn't occur if I just shut down for about 10 minutes or less and then decide to move. It almost seems that if I keep the engine warm, or let it warm up for a few minutes, all is fine. But not every time.

4) I have not tried a remote fuel tank yet. I am headed up north to the cabin for 2 weeks of vacation, where I have a remote tank I can hook up for that test. If that doesn't do the trick, I was going to decarbon the motor (2000 XR6) with the spray can stuff, blow that out, then add new plugs, even though I know that won't solve the problem, because I have done the decarbon and plugs before, but it's time for that anyway.

Other than the stalling out, the motor runs fantastic. Once I get it past the point of stalling out, it will keep running and seems to run just fine, and sounds good too (i am VERY attune to the sounds it makes, anything out of the norm, I pick up on right away). I have made some very long runs on Lake St Clair with no issues. I did notice an occasional very quick drop in rpm's/power last year when running at top end, but after changing the pulse pump and removing the water separating fuel filter this spring, changing the fuel lines and primer bulb, that seems to have stopped. I DON'T THINK the stalling out is harming anything, since it's been going on for two years now and I run the boat at least once a week. Seems if something bad was going to happen, it would have already. It is however a HUGE annoyance. I either have to drive at quarter speed for a few minutes until whatever needs to happen or kick in, kicks in. Or I have to sit for a few minutes with the motor running, and sometimes that doesn't even work, and off I go at 1/4 throttle or less till something happens in the motor that allows me to throttle up to plane. The process has now become a running joke with my fishing buddies..! I have a feeling that it's something REALLY simple that I'm overlooking. I just don't know what more I could do. Seems that if it was starving for fuel, pressing in the key to choke it would help, but it actually results in the exact opposite and hastens the stalling out, that is why I've been putting off the remote tank, but I can give that a try. Seems to be the only thing left that I have the technical know how to do myself.

Once you try that please let me know. I also am questioning the reed valves and bleed system. Will cross that bridge when we eliminate a few more things. If you have a Merc Dealer where your boat is, see if you can "talk" him into letting you try a remote harness as well. I'd like to eliminate the boat harness as a potential issue.......;)

Oh Bob, one last thing that I didn't really make very clear. The motor runs fine during the "warm up" or "stalling stage", as long as I keep throttle/rpm's below as well as above a certain point. Seems there is a "sweet spot" in the power curve, where I need to keep the motor running while it "warms up" or does whatever it needs to do to kick whatever needs to kick in to make it go. It WILL stall out at normal idle, I have to advance the throttle to at least 800 to keep it from dying. When I get going, I HAVE to keep RPM's above 800 and below 2500 to avoid stalling out. If I advance above 2500 RPM's, it doesn't sputter and die a slow death, stalling is almost immediate. If I go below 800, it dies a SLOW death. Primer bulb is ALWAYS hard during these times, I've checked, or had a friend check. Once whatever kicks in, kicks in, and the stalling stops, I can vary my RPM's throughout the powerband including jut letting it run out of gear, with absolutely no fear of the motor stalling out.

No. I ALWAYS use quickclean/stabil marine cocktail combo and usually use the spray in mercury carbcleaner at least once a year. In addition, I have absolutely no problem starting the motor.

We have to eliminate the "obvious" first. After all, your motor is just an air pump....suck, squeeze, bang and blow. Fuel, compression, ignition and have it happen at the right time and it all works....

I am leaning towards reeds though.....we'll see.

OK..I will do the remote tank while on vacation and see what happens. If that doesn't solve the issue, I will just tough it out while on vacation and then take it in when I get back, I don't think anything catastrophic is gonna happen (knock on wood), seems it would have by now. As I said, if the tank doesnt solve the problem, anything else is beyond my limited wrenching abilities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesnt seem to be much left to look into. Thanks for the help Bob, I think we are making some headway, I will report back in a few days. If it is the reeds, do you recommend replacing with stock or something different..?

The reeds of choice would be Tony Doukas {TDR} or Boyesen. I can help you when the time comes. MUCH better performance. Keep me informed!!

Latest posts

Back