Boat Performance

• Thread starter Bobcat University
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat University

Reaction score
Hey guys. I went to Choke Canyon yesterday afternoon and I must admit that it was some hard fishing going on. It was the first time that I put my Nitro on the water since last August. I initially had a strating problem (although I started it weekly) and then I couldn't put it on plane. I panicked for a few moments then I got angry. It finally planed without problem. I think I wasn't pressing the Down button on my control as I increased the RPMs.

I do have a question: I was cutting across the lake and all of a sudden an alarm sounded on my boat somewhere in the driver's console area. The alarm stopped after a minute but I couldn't find anything wrong. Does anyone know what that alarm could have been? I want to go back out tomorrow but I'm wary of what the alarm was.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

If i am not mistaken, by you starting the boat weekly you might have caused a carbon build-up on the plugs. The plugs took a bit of time to clean themselves but they did and thats when she planed out. If you winterize your boat properly you should not need to start her at all unitl the following season.

As for the alarm, it could be a water temp or pressure issue. Or maybe a oil level issue.

Do a thorough look-see before you go out next. ( I am leening toward the motor getting to hot since she really had to work hard to get on plane).

John

Was a continuous alram or a beeping alarm, there usually is a difference as one is an overheat and the other indicates low oil. What motor do you have and do you have a remote oil reservoir?

Randy!

seabass81 - Thanks and I will do that look-see before I go out again. You're right about winterizing, I didn't do it last year but will be sure to this year.

Randy - It was a continuing alarm that lasted for a minute. I have a Mercury EFI 150 hp motor. I do have a remote oil reservoir.

A straight alarm should be an over heat alarm. Continuous beeps would indicate an oil problem. Check the manual to verify but that is normal Mercury.

Sounds like the planing problem was the trim / jackplate position?

Just covering the basics so please don't be offended...You had muffs on it or was in a tank when you started it weekly? If not, the impeller might be at fault causing the over-temp alarm?? Might not be a bad idea to replace anyways if it hasn't been done in awhile.

Good luck!

I have a 2007 nitro 750 nx with a 90 elpto. I bought it about a month ago and I have never owned a boat before. It had a 19 pitch aluminum prop and would max out on RPM's at about 3/4 throttle at only 36 MPH (GPS). I put a 21 pitch SS SOLACE prop on it and now am able to run WOT at about 5400 RPM's at 46 MPH. The boat is 17'6" and weighs 1350lbs. Is this about all the speed I will be able to get out of this set up? Any comments would be appreciated. I know very little about boats and outboard engines.

cp4000 - I had the muffs on when it fired it up weekly. No worries, I'm not offended. Good info is always welcomed by me.

I have a 896 Savage with a 200 EFI. When I first got the boat, used, the oil alarm would go off and I couldn't find anything wrong. What it turned out to be was the oil pickup from the oil tank, in the hull, had a fungus that had blocked the oil pickup from working. I removed the top of the oil tank that goes to the engine and sure enough it was blocked. The cure is simple either gasoline of Chemtool will remove the fungus. I put the liquied in an old cup and let the screen soak in it. Hope this helps.

scott,i had an nx750 with a 115 etec,and jackplate,19 pitch prop 53 mph by speedometer was top end,so im thinking that 46 gps mphs is pretty good for a 90.

Latest posts

Back