Boat Numbering/Lettering

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Anybody have a company who sells good looking boat letters and numbers? Not that Plain Jane block lettering either.

TOXIC

Go to your local sign shop. They can make it in any style/color you want and have it all laid out so that you don't have to align all the letters/numbers.

Good advice Scott, I never thought of that. Problem is two fold though. 1. no sign shops close and 2. the last time I went to one for a print of a small decal they already had the computer artwork for, they tried to charge me a mint!!

TOXIC

"Hardline" products are an option too......they have kits available that are sold primarily for jet fleas, so stop in anyplace that sells PWC's/snowmobiles/ATV's etc.....they have a ton of different color combo's available. Kits are about $20 or less and there's enough letter's/numerals in them to do 3 years' worth of boats!! LOL...

Tox, A sign shop did mine in hopewell, va. does all the police and emergency vehicle lettering. call the police dept to see who does there's! cost me about 30.00 took about 10 min. to put on. looks alot better than the plan ol' numbers. kenny

Tox, I live up here in MN and my Nitro dealer uses a place called Fast Signs. They did an excellent job on the numbers for my 911.

They have lots of letter styles and a huge selection of colors. The other nice thing is that each set of numbers comes on one sheet, so that they are evenly spaced.

They are located throughout the US. Their website is www.fastsigns.com and there are a couple within 30 miles of your location.

I highly recommend them.

You probably know about these but...........

BPS has those "Shadow letters" that aren't bad and they come in 4-5 different color configurations.

$9.99 per set

I have the shadowed numbers on my 901 and they look great!

RoyC

Okay, here's another take. I sent off my registration to the folks at the DNR for my Stratos. New numbers will be here in 7-10 days.

What is the best way to get off the old GA numbers that are currently on the boat?

I like the fastsigns idea. I will probably do that, for I wasn't happy with how my last self applied numbers came out.

Tex

Hey Tex goto Wal-Mart and go to the boat stickers spot. There is some stuff called sticker off (??) Anyway its in a small spray bottle, you will know it when you see it. It is supposed to be made for removing stickers from boats. Also you could take a hairdryer and heat them and use some 25lb big game line to ease them off with. Then wax and you should be in business. Hope this helps

Donnie

Use a heat gun or a hair dryer to heat them up Tex,...they'll peel right off.....

The only thing I have found is that if the numbers are printed on a sheet, they won't allow for a contour very well. They would work fine on a "straight" surface though. (Just my $.02)

Also you will have better luck if you wet the surface and numbers and then apply them (like putting on window tint). Once they are how you want them, you just squeege the water out and "ta da". (Just don't wait to long to position and squeege them)

thought I saw someone post a while back about getting a ticket for having those "non-block" fancy lettering. been thinking of getting some for my rig anyways. Last boat I had a friend of mine painted on the letters and numbers and it looked pretty cool (not the boat but the lettering!).

jd

James,..they have to be "legible" from a distance. If they're not a contrasting color or they're too hard to read from a distance,..then you could be ticketed....(what's a "distance?"....that's up to the cops to decide!!..LOL)

There's also supposed to be a 3" space between the numerals and letters too...but I've seen lots of boats with no spaces and some with GAPS!!!...ahahaha....I think a cop is more likely to give you a ticket for not being able to read them vs. the spacing issues.....IMHO!!

Mac

boat-us.com has some online for ordering. or boatus.com... I forget.

I just used hardline from Cabala's because they offer the Gold or silver metal flake which really looks great on Mac's old 901.They look like there a part of the gel-coat.

Federal Requirements and Safety Tips for Recreational Boats

Display of Numbers

Numbers must be painted or permanently attached to each side of the forward half of the vessel. The validation stickers must be affixed within six inches of the registration number. With the exception of the vessel fee decal, no other letters or numbers may be displayed nearby.

Lettering must be in plain, vertical block characters of not less than 3 inches in height. Spaces or hyphens between letter and number groupings must be equal to the width of a letter other than "I" or a number other than "1".

http://www.imaginationbassin.com

Tox,

My brother owns a sign shop. The best thing that you could do if you want it to look good is find a small, local sign shop. Make the arrangements with them to look at your boat. They can then match you boat with letters/numbers that look like they came on the boat. My brother matched my gold stripe on my PT175 (I have an green/gold 98 anniversary edition) with nearly exact reflective numbers. If you find a small guy, he'll probably only charge you about $10 and even install them.

Tox, I'm in the business so let me know what you want and I'll take care of you.

Thanks Mike. Take a look in my library and the #'s that are on the boat now. I just want something that looks more "professional. I think these were the "make your own" type and they look like crap. I have a new registration coming and I think they will use the same numbers/letters. I'll let you know when I find out and you can suggest something.

Thanks again....

TOXIC

I hope you DO get your in 7-10 days.

I sent mine of February 3, just got them today!! One day short of three months. KEEP your temporary permit, because you will need the number off of it to get it sent.

I got stopped a total of 5 times on Lake Lanier!! NOT having registration numbers is a red flag to get stopped.

TOXIC:

I got the shadow letters from BPS also. GOnna put them on tonight hopefully. Will try to get a pic.

Anyone wanna tell me how to load digital pics?

Latest posts

Back