Boat doesn't fit in the garage dilema...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I haven't figured out what I am going to do about my boat not fitting in the garage at the new house. I have explored the idea of making the two doors into one but the builder won't provide the plans and I am pretty sure it's a load baring wall. I have the boat in storage by my cabin right now.

I talked to the guys at the boat shop down there and they said they can have a trailer made for it the would enable it to fit in the garage. They would have to take a few inches off the width and raise the boat up alittle to make it work.

Do you see any downfalls to having a new trailer made? Is this the best solution? Will raising the boat up make it harder to trailer? I can't justify spending $150 a month to store it here. If I do get a trailer made, I would probably keep the Nitro trailer for resale and just store it at my cabin. Thoughts?

Raising the boat up on a tailer can make it trailer differently. It will raise the center of gravity for sure and if they have to make it narrower it could make it more apt to sway. Why not just throw a cover on it and leave it in the driveway?

Or you can modify the garage door. A buddy of mine made a cut-out in the door to accept the tongue. He added rubber so when the door goes down it seals out the weather...

Teri,

Check with the city building dept. about the plans. Next, "it's just drywall"... somebody like an engineer can visually inspect and tell you what you need to do after that drywall is peeled off... Heck, if a few of us were down there a case of beer and that drywall is toast!

Before you change the trailer, follow up with the garage. Very seldom would anything more complicated than a full width 2X12 header be needed... but if it is... a steel beam/header would most likely reslve the matter.

Finally, if all else fails... e-mail me some photos inside and outside and some rough dimensions of the door frames and the outside width of both doors (total across) and I'll get my guy to do some calculations that would be close for discussion purposes...

As requested, here is a picture of the front of the house.
house_front.jpg

Just for Mike Snow, here is the lake behind the house.
house_lake.jpg

Teri, since it's brickface, if you want to make one large door your going to have to put in a "Lentil" or angle line to support the bricks that span the opening. Others may scowl at me, but I think you might be opening up a big can of worms messing with the brick.

By the way, I can't keep it in the driveway because of the covenents.

Wow, what a beautiful place Teri!

I wouldn't go the trailer route. I'd still see what a builder says about changing the doors or what Tee said about cutting a hole for the tongue.

Bill

Oh yes Teri, I was thinkin it but didn't type it, very nice looking house, gotta love brick, and a sweet backyard.

Nice pick

I don't have a problem with the length of the boat fitting. It has a swing tongue. On the trailer, it's about 2 inches too wide to fit in the single door. I wouldn't think it would change the trailer too much to take just 2 inches off the width.

Thanks on the house. It looks much bigger from the back than the front. The lake is about 150 yards thru the woods. Our neighborhood location is on a small cove of Percy Priest. I can't wait to get out on the lake with the boat and a pole.

Teri,

I'm not a contractor and don't want to advise you to change the doors but, just remember that taking a couple of inches off the trailer will still make it "just" fit. Then you miss a little on backing it in and damage both the trailer and the door jams....even with 2" of clearance on both sides it will not be easy for you to not scratch it up every now and again....

You will need the double wide garage door if you want to keep your building/trailer in one piece...

Just my .02

Tom(fishfafun)

Teri

Having the unfortunate experience of building a house and helping build another I'd go with Greg and the others that say to modify the garage door. A good contractor should be able to do this. An I beam with supports on both ends should handle the loads. You could save some of the bricks from the center post to use above the doorframe where the bricks are verticle.

Changing the boat trailer just sets up a host of possible headaches and you'd probably just end up changing the door anyway.

Then theres the other route. Trade the boat for a narrower modle.

fatrap

I have the same issue at my house but my garage has a recessed wall in the back of the garage, that goes back about 5ft so it makes it easy to back it straight into the garage....you might want to look at doing something like that....it just what room in your house shares the wall to your garage.

never mind my suggestion Teri....I just read the post about it being 2 wide....if you have a door like mine there are 2x6 on the side of the door...just take those off and that would give you close to 3" of clearnace.

Being new to the state, how would I go about finding a good contractor who could do this kind of work. I would assume he'd have to licensed and bonded and have some sort of engineering background. What type of contractor does this sort of thing? I talked to the garage door company and they didn't have any recommendations.

Teri,

I would look for a contractor at the local building supply companies, they usually have a billboard where all the contractors post there business cards.

Chris

I too have an 8' wide door. Mine however is wooden. I looked into a wider door and found that anything over a 9' is considered custom. A 10' steel door is about $500, plus what ever the labor is. In your case, I think I would look into the one single wide door.

RoyC

This might be a stupid question but is it possible to extend each opening on the far sides by one foot and make them 9 foot doors instead of 8. Seems like it would be better to leave the middle set of bricks alone.

That might be an option. Not sure which would be more though. Good suggestion by Chris. Check at Home Depot/Lowes. They certainly would have some suggestions.

Tex

DON'T mess with the trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way you did good...Nice homestead.....JR...Teri ask for a recommendation from the lumber company, They usually have someone working for them..General Contractor will do It...I have the same problem you have..I gave up..HA HA

Teri...

That's what a good contractor will be able to discuss with you... My client/friend, a builder/remodeler here.. looked that the pictures and asked/suggested the very thing you asked... widen each door 1 foot (if that would be enough for your boat) or just widen one door...

To find a contractor in your area start by asking the people living near you and co-workes, then the BBB.

Good Luck

Nice Place there.

On a side note do you rent your cabin out?

Teri:

Ask a contractor if oversized garage doors are available - 9'0" wide. Where the opening is behind the boat in the picture, ask a contractor if he could take out about 8" to 12" of brick on the outside edge of the opening but still keep the structural integrity of the header across the doorway. If he could remove 12" it will work with brick dimensions (8" and 4")and still look ok. He will have to cut the brick and part of the foundation.

I assume there is no space on the end of the house to put a covered carport etc. Also, I assume there is no way to put an opening into the garage from behind the house.

Consider a different boat before you modify the trailer.

Da Bear

Terri,

I was a contractor for 12 year (till I was hurt); below is only a outline of how I would look at this project.

I would definitely look at pushing the doors out to either side and not mess with the middle post.

One of the first steps in determining how intensive this project will be is to find out what type of header is going across the front of the garage above those doors. If it is one solid wood or lambeam header than that will add a little complexity to the job, but it still can be done. If it is one solid steel beam I'm not sure I would fool with it. The best scenario would be 2 separate headers; one over each door. That would make this job much easier. My guess is that you have 2 headers & they are being supported by the center column.

You could find this out by one, removing the sheetrock above the doors (cut it with a key hole saw (Home depot $10) if your careful it will allow to put it backup& patch it if this doesn't work out). However I prefer the second option; depending on the city/town most require a set of building plans be on file before any permits are given to build. These are public record and if they have them on file can usually be made a copy of for a small fee. (A quick call to the planning & building records dept should tell you that).

As far as picking a contractor, my opinion is not to talk to the local Home Depot, Lowes, Lumber Yard, etc. A lot of times the person they are recommending is a personal friend or a contractor that does a ton of business with them. This does not make them necessarily good. The BBB is a good source of checking on a contractor but I would also check the local building department to see if they have any suggestions; they work and inspect local contractors work everyday.

Whatever you decide get multiple reference & make sure they are for related type work (additions, remodels, etc). The guy that did a great job on someone deck may not be the right guy to support the second floor of your house.

I'm very sorry for the long post, but this is a major undertaking & it needs to be done right. That being said I think it is well worth the effort, nothing is too good for our boats!!!

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further via email or by phone send me an email, I'd be glad to help.

Dennis

Buy a tin boat, there not as wide.....you'd be suprised at all the places you could go.

just a thought....hehehe

Wolf

Been on PartyPoker lately?

Why not leave the center alone and put in the one 9' door. Looks like you have plenty of room on the right side. I have seen some like that and it dosen't look bad at all. New garage door and 3 or 4 hundred in labor and you are in business.

Teri,

You have many friends on this board, let us make suggestions and you take for action the best ones!!

Mine is,

Take photo's of the INSIDE & OUTSIDE of your garage all the way around the doors(both). several closeups of the joints etc...) and place them here on the site. If they are hidden, please go into the Attic or whatever space is required to look at the structure around the doors and above them!!!The "people in the know" that are responding can then make really good decisions that will help you protect the banana boat from dire winter weather, and NOT cause your home structural problems!!!! and satisfy covenants!

We are simply trying to take care of our friend!!!!

Mike

Teri,

Looks like a nice sized abode....make me up a room, let me come down and live with you in that warm climate where I can fish all winter, and I will personally oversee the construction of a suitable doorway for the Big Banana!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it and know you guys won't steer me wrong. I've decided against the trailer based on this discussion. I will post more pictures when I have a chance to take some. Right now the Nitro is in storage until March.

I am going to the boat show on Friday so who knows what might happen. I may end up with a Reatta that wouldnt fit in the garage anyway.

I do have a marina about a mile from my house where most of my neighbors store their boats. They have a dry lot for trailers and winter and then you get a covered slip for $1200 per year. I wouldn't mind having a slip so I could leave it in sometimes. That would make it much easier just to hop in and go after work. It's so close to my house that I could take it out and wash it down whenever I wanted. Thoughts on leaving it outdoors??

Can you have a lift? That is the best way... If they have power to the slips you have it made...

I know you can have a lift because my neighbor mentioned having one. I have no idea how much that would cost. I could keep the boat in my driveway at times but not all the time or those idiots from the HOA will get after me. They denied my wrought iron fence and said it had to be wood so I am not happy with them.

Teri,

The only recommendation I would have leaving it in, if you don't go with a lift is an automatic bilge pump. And maybe a snap on cover to protect the interior.

Rich D

On the boat storage in the water, get a slip you will never regret having one. Nothing better then being able to walk out on the dock and jump in the boat and go fishing. I paid through the nose for mine but every time I go fishing, which is every day we are at our house in NH I feel good about my investment for my happiness. Others without a slip have to put thier boat in and pull it out every time they want to go fishing. Leaving the boat in the water should be fine, take it out and wash it from time to time I take mine out once a month and give it a good bath and wax. I put a mooring cover (different from the towing cover) on my boat this summer which made it easy to get on and off with the boat sitting in the water.

On the HOA situation, they can be good or bad all depends on how well they are run. I didn't like how the ones I live in were run so I got involved and got elected and have been helping build a better HOA in 2 communities for the last 6 years.

The Design & Review board doesn't have the final say, ask them to give you a copy of the association by-laws and rules and if they don't allow wrought iron or vinyl tell them that you want to appeal their decision with the board of directors and ask them for the approval. If that doesn't work find out the board meeting schedule and start attending the meetings, all meetings are required to be open to owners and a schedule published. Rules can be modified by the board but By-law changes require a 2/3 vote of the owners and then the master declaration must be amended or the change can not be enforced legally. Wrought iron and vinyl fences are maintenance free and if they are black, tan or brown they will blend in and be in harmony with the rest of the neighborhood which is what most By-laws Design & Review clauses cover.

Also, do a little checking on your own and see if there is anyone else with a wrought iron fence or fence made with another material other then wood. If you can prove that the board is inconsistent in how they enforce the rules you can politely tell them this and that if they don't approve your request you will be contacting an attorney.

Cass :)

Ken, you have a place to rest your melon any time.

Bruce, I have not rented out my cabin. I am afraid to do that because I want to find it in one piece. I have let people I know stay there and left the pontoon keys for them. You planning a visit to southern Indiana?

Teri,

Once again I have to put in my .02.....

There's more to consider than just the positives when having a berth to keep your boat in, like having to remove all items not bolted down each time you leave due to theft, no fun showing up to go out fishing and having all your gear/fishfinders gone....

Also, home improvements (and a two car garage door is an "improvement" over two doors anytime!) will over time pay you back some for your investment, but you just keep on paying that $1200 or so every year for the berth and when you get tired of all those other negatives you will find about having that berth, you'll still have to spend the money to remodel your garage entry anyway. Seems like the $$$ better spent on the garage to start with?

Good luck anyway you choose.

Tom(fishfafun)

Teri, one thing to be careful of, should they add a "header", make sure the boat will still fit height-wise under the header.

Also, can I come live with you for a few months while we pick out a house in Nashville? Katie will have your boat colored in no time, and my wife stays home with Katie, so you'll have round-the-clock security :). We have two dogs and two cats too... Is next week too soon?

Teri If this rain keeps coming I'll be floating by soon...Jr

JR, throw out a line while you are floating down here. You just might catch one of those enormous crossbreed fish in KY.

Snow, you really moving?

Hi Teri,

I did the two door to one conversion myself last year, so I know what is needed to do it. In addition I am a remodeling contractor, so I can tell you what you'll need to look for. It's too much detail to go into here, and I have some questions from the picture you posted, but if you want to call me to discuss it I can be reached at 1-800-776-5015 during the day.

Regards,

John
http://coastalbuilders.com

Thanks John. I will call you next week just to chat. I think for next year I am going to rent a covered slip at the marina down the street and then decide what to do.

Carlos - She sold the Banana Boat and bought a TV18 All Fish with a 115 Opti, and it FITs!!! TIN RULES!!!! BWWWAAAAAA

Serious Teri - Well????

Teri said in another thread she smiled up a dude at the boat show and won 6 months slip rental at the marina right by her. Garage problem is temporarily on the back burner. I smile sometimes and nobody ever gives me anything but grief. Wonder why that is? Hutch

Just like a woman, I have done nothing. I need to call John but I think I am going to use a slip for next year.

Latest posts

Back