boat cover

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Mullin

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger for a new boat cover, I am undecided between a cover from Aurora Canvas or Dowco Marine. Do most folks like the cover with a matching motor cover or 1 cover to cover it all at the same time, does the 1 piece cover leave a large gap near at the transom allowing critters to get in or not. Do you like the rope ratchet or web ratchet, should I get a cover that will fit the boat with the pedestal seats in or out? Does anybody have either cover and what are your thoughts about it? Thanks!!

I have, and have always had, DOWCO covers. They fit like a glove. Are very tuff. The only time I have had either of them rip is when we got almost 4 feet of snow over the course of 1 week, and I was unable to remove it since I was out of town. Mine have draw strings as oppose to any sort of ratcheting system, so I cant help there. They both do have a large gap at the transom, but (Knock on wood !), I havent had any problems with critters getting, just leaves. Some may say the are a bit pricey, but I say "You get what you pay for".

Don't know if you are anywhere near Springfield but I was in their parts and repair center down the road a few blocks from the main building last week and they had various covers for 80% off! Had about 20 or so covers. You could get lucky and find the right one there. What are you putting it on?

I love my DOWCO. It does fit like a glove. The ratchet really tightens it down.

I'm on the second Dowco. The first was a p.o.s. This one seems to be good. It says "Tundra" on it.

fatrap

I have owned both and the quality difference between an Aurora canvas and a Dowco is night and day. If you are willing to spend the extra money for an Aurora do it, its a decision you will not regret.

I had a nitro "factory" cover made by Dowco for my 882 and it did not last but a couple years before the seams started to come apart and the fabric started leaking. I was not a very good cover at all. The worst part is when i called them to get a warranty replacment the "prorated" warranty prooved to be useless. After two years they wanted more than i paid for the cover to replace it.

The aurora that replaced it went 6 years before i traded the boat with no signs of fading or leaks. I also have an aurora for my Z7 and thats 5 years old and still looks and performs like new. Both of the covers i have bought have been thier heavyweght fabric. FWIW my boats sit outside with the cover as the only protection.

Jim B, Thanks for the info. What style did you have, boat & motor cover or single cover for both? Do you have any pictures of the transom area and did you have the rope ratchet or webbing ratchet? The money isn't an issue, I am prepared to spend what I need to cover my boat, right now the Taylor that came with the boat is starting to rip and my boat is getting soaked during a rain storm

Both of mine have the built in motor hood. My 882 i had the webbing ratchet on my z7 it has the rope with ratchets on it. Both work equally well. I dont have any pictures of either, i can take some of my current one. The only thing i would note of the fit is a little different. My 882 was a dual console and they made it so both the front and rear seats stayed in place when the cover was on. It never pooled any water in that configuration. My z7 fits a little snugger.

Latest posts

Back