Boat Carpeting

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I don't know if I brought this up or not but I have a question. My Tundra's carpet is coming up in the cockpit area. The decks are fine. Probably due to Trackers policy for letting the boat fill up with snow and rain until they're sold. I've been trying to find a carpet installer who will do a boat. I don't really want to tackle this myself. Too much kneeling on a artifical knee. Can't seem to find a place in the Omaha area. Ofcourse Tracker is no help but they sold me some matching carpet that didn't even match the sample let alone the boat. I made a snape in runner with it than runs between the seats and takes the lions share of wear.

Anyway I've tacked it down(the existing carpet) using carpet glue and a Cabela's turkey injector but would love to find a pro who does this sort of thing. After five years of fixing odds and ends I've finally got the boat where I want it except for this.

Ideas?

fatrap

Did the gluing with the injector work? I have a similar issue and I thought of doing the same...

NJD

Yeah but it leaves little glue stains and it hits about three square inches then you have to punch through and keep doing it,

fatrap

There's a place here in St. Louis that does recarpeting. Gravois Auto Top, Inc.

I'm thinking about using them to recarpet my boat. Recommendations from others have been very positive. It would be a drive for you, but at least it's one place. I have a card at home for another guy down between Springfield, MO and Branson, MO that was recommended by my local Tracker dealer. Plan to get bids from both.

Thanks MO it's a start. Branson would be about the same distance let me know about that one also please.

Mike Grandick

aka

fatrap

I'm wondering Mike if theyt could lay down some nice big velcro strips in at least the cockpit area for you so your new carpet is removable for washing etc. May be easier on the old joints as time passes, getting down low?.

Mark I have a piece that's snapped down but it covers the crappy carpet that I have now. My kind of fishing requires a lot of live bait. Worms, minnows which tend to get squashed into the carpeting. MY friends Targa has vinyl cockpit and carpeted front and back decks. That would be super as it would clean up with spray cleaner and a towel. I also get a few slimers(norther pike and catfish)that leave a crusty slime skid mark. I got a lead early today about a place in Millard Nebraska not to far from me. Gonna check that out too. I do love your NITRO insert.

fatrap

Consider a "fitted"(cut to shape and side/edge basted) velcroed in place. Tuffy does this and it is an easy cleanup when removed and pressure washed in the driveway.

I am new to aluminum boats, just bought an 06 170 TX. It needs carpet also. This may be a dumb question but why don't anyone use rhino liner like a truck bed? They do color match so? Does it pop off? I'm sure it has been tried, right? Any thoughts/experience?

I have seen truck bed liner spray in stuff on several jon boats. It does work and adheres well to metal, but not as well to plywood. You would have to completely take out the old carpet (a real hassle) and the sand and prime the floor. A much better alternative is the vinyl flooring for boats and a snap in carpet. The vinyl can be glued to the plywood and edge snaps (or velcro) installed for removeable carpet.

I'm closing down a a couple local place. I want to wait till late Fall so I don't miss any fishing this summer and Fall. I'm kind of fussy and want a good job so I'm going to set up a time that I can see some of the work.

fatrap

Back