Black Pearl Haulin the Mail!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
I know, I know, it's not a NITRO but I qualify since I ran one for 12 years. Most all of you know that about 6 months ago I ran across a deal on a Ranger after selling my NITRO in Florida before I came back to Virginia. Long story short, bought it from a gentleman who got it from his deceased brothers estate. Brother passed in a boating accident (Kayak). Boat sat outside under a schredded cover for 2 years and was full of mold/mud/dirt/bugs and various critters. With Carlos' help we have rebuilt the boat from the trailer up (including new axles.tires/bunk brackets/master cylinder/cables/swing tongue/and on and on). Went through the motor and replaced all the filters (there's like 25 of them on a 250 Yamaha) new poppit valve, new TStats, new hoses and ball, LU oil and we blasted the carbon off the cylinders. We put in a new network, upgraded the graphs, rebuilt the TM and I spent a month getting all of the mold out of it. I really worked hard on the glass and it looks good if I do say so myself. I pulled it to Wisconsin and back where I got to fish with Greg. I finally felt comfortable to really put her to the test Sunday. I wanted to really wind her up and let her go on the hot side of Lake Anna......so I did and here are the pics!! On Edit, the reason I felt comfortable was that I verified with Yamaha that all of the recalls were done to the motor including an oil pump..which is kinda important:p

IMG-20130908-00228.jpg

And lettin her eat!!

C5C0280C-904B-4BFE-940C-8644AA6B766D-1396-00000141A58FAC7E_zpse44a4634.jpg

349C30FE-1F75-41E5-B7A7-C618D21CA088-1396-0000014194C64E56_zps0e861bcd.jpg

Who says Rangers don't have any bow lift!!

903EA85C-3D9C-4B6C-AE55-59A8069F6E11-1396-0000014181D8B2DF_zps019b544f.jpg

Just thought I'd share. I can probably get a little more speed outta her if I wanna send the prop off to be worked but I bought her to fish out of not race.:cool:

I know , I ran a Nitro until selling at moving time, now a tin Lowes. No big motor anymore and easy for a retired old fart to handle. Plus I use a private gravel ramp (just a few yards away) and the lighter weight makes it easier. Winterize for deer season. Just had to point that out.

cq

No winterizing for me CQ. We fish year round thanks to Mr. Hamilton's hospitality. There's nuthin like catching a largemouth on a buzzbait in a snowstorm!! 3,000 acres of nuclear reactor warmed water all year round. The fish are warmer than we are:p Next project is running a network cable from the Yamaha to my HDS 8. That way I can get real numbers on RPM/Water Pressure etc., directly from the motor harness. BTW side-scan is the schnitzit!! I've had to do a lot of playing with it to get it where I like it but side scan and down scan have really changed the way I fish.

And Geano...now we have a backup boat for Michigan if something happens to Carlos' ride. He's also into a truck again so there's a backup if something happens to my truck:D We are all about contingency planning when Mr. Hathcock is involved. :cool:

How hard is it to network in your Yamaha to your HDS? I've got a 90 yamaha on my skiff and an HDS7, do you know if I can do it with those?

Steve, Carlos explained that it is a network cable that plugs into the engine harness and then "T"'s into the network cable. I will post more as soon as we do the install.

You could get here in a VW bug and between Mac, Mini, Ken and myself, we'd still find you a boat to fish out of. :)

Latest posts

Back