Better think twice next time

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Marine Stabbed by Suspected Shoplifter

November 27, 2010

Associated Press

>

AUGUSTA, Ga. - A U.S. Marine reservist collecting toys for children was

stabbed when he helped stop a suspected shoplifter in eastern Georgia.

>

Best Buy sales manager Orvin Smith told The Augusta Chronicle that the man

was seen on surveillance cameras Friday putting a laptop under his jacket at

the Augusta store.

>

When confronted, the man became irate, knocked down an employee, pulled a

knife and ran toward the door. Outside were four Marines collecting toys for the service branch's "Toys For Tots" program.

>

Smith said the Marines stopped the man, but he stabbed one of them, Cpl.

Phillip Duggan, in the back. The cut did not appear to be severe.

>

The suspect was transported to the local hospital with two broken arms, a

broken leg, possible broken ribs, assorted lacerations and bruises he

obtained when he fell trying to run after stabbing the Marine.

>

The suspect, whose name was not released, was held until police arrived. The Richmond County Sheriff's office said it is investigating.

And the investigators found out it happened just liked the Marines said.

Must have been a nasty fall!

Semper

Fi

Great story. Too bad the paragraph about the suspect's injuries is not verifiable. Regardless, bravo to the Marines and store security for stopping this low life thief.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/stabbedmarine.asp

I am surprised by the minimal injuries sustained after such a long drawn out fall... I figure he should at least be missing an eye!

Why is it someone will go to Snopes looking for verification. I personally dont believe or put any confidence in what is listed on Snopes. Why would someone go to one web-site looking to confirm something on another site? Just because it says so in Snopes Im suppose to accept it as the "Truth" ???????

Well in this case to verify what I think how a Marine or group of Marines would handle the situation.

I seriously doubt any of them would have done anything to harm the perp aside from any injuries sustained while detaining him.

In most other cases one would/could use a fact checker like Snopes to stop spreading stupid rumors on the internet and making one's self look like a fool!!!

Other than that I dont see a reason to....lol

You dont have to accept it as the truth or a lie, you sont have to check it either....but then you may be looking like Mac here....lol

Matters not, the bad guy was cuaght and the Marine did the right thing. They were involved and did not watch them run on my. Good on them for making the right choice.

But, I can only hope he "fell" and got hurt, there is nothing wrong with a little more inventive to not be bad guy. Especially when there are Marines around in uniform.

Semper Fi Mac

Dear MAC

I live here and the above story was printed in the local newspaper. However the paragraph you read or imagined about the "suspect was transported to the local hospital with two broken arms , a broke leg ---blah , blah ,blah---is what we down south call "hogwash"!

By the way the culprit was named the next day in the newspaper.

I to am proud of that marine for stopping an injustice he and his companions are to be commended.

Yeah, I love me some Marines! :) Would be a dramatic decrease in the crime rate if we could have some guys in front of all the stores!

JP

@ Ken - call it an occupational hazard. I learned long ago never to believe everything I heard. So yes, I checked it out on snopes. What's so special about snopes.com? They don't take things at face value. They have a team of fact-checkers and verify stories. They cite to primary and secondary authority to verify stories. They do their homework. That's why they are trustworthy - not because they simply say so.

As for why I did it - because the truth matters. Mac quoted a great story. Why tarnish it with embellishment not necessary? A lowlife thief was caught by a group of honorable Marines doing God's work. Why the need to embellish a great story with what may or may not have happened? Frankly, I would hope the Marines did not beat up the perpetrator as implied by the story. I would think that our men in uniform have more integrity and honor. I also applauded the store security. They also assisted. Why should we forget them too? Simply put - truth matters.

Merry Christmas.

Jim

Latest posts

Back