Best reel/line for flipping/pitching???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
Just bought a fancy/shmancy custom flipping stick, now I have to figure out the reel to go with it.

(Long story short, Rich Forhan is/was running a special on his sticks, and I could'nt resist. I don't even freakin' know how to flip/pitch correctly yet!)

Suggestions?

Shimano Curado...200 series.

Line wt, type and color will depend on what you're pitching and the conditions.

Rick,

Do you mean the Castaic?

I was looking at this reel, is the "instagage" thingy fairly easy to get used to?

Mac,

Is that the BPS reel? Do they make a left handed model?

I got 2 Shimano Castaic, and they are a great reel. Small enough to cradle in the palm of your hand.. No smart remarks Mac!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sim,...yes...it's the Johnny Morris Signature reel....the BEST reel BPS makes....I think they're @ $130 now!!

10 bearings in them.....SWEEEEET!! super smooth and feature for feature,..as good or better than a lot of other reels that are twice the price!! Check one out!!!

Mac

mac,

I was looking at one longingly yesterday, but where I was looking (a bps "affiliate") they could not tell me if there was a left handed model.

A quick look on the BPS site, and there appear to be none of that reel available.

Do you know if they make a lefty? If so, that reel does look like exactly what I want.

I looked pretty hard at the Cataic also, just wondering if that thumbar is useful (or if you get used to using it). It was a bit of a stretch for my thumb to use it. I would have to palm the reel all the time to make use of it.

Anyone have any experience with the Diawa TDXs?

Mac, when you said "the BEST reel BPS makes" did you mean the best reel they sell? Do they make reels? If not, who makes the JM model for them?

Okay Mac, put that JLM up against Shimano's top of the line. In longevity, Shimano will win hands-down. The JLM reel is pretty, but I'd rather have a Curado. Matter of fact, returned one of those reels last year to buy a Curado.

BPS brands reels, Silstar makes them.

Steve, no they don't make them. They private label brand names. The JLM series I believe IS a Shimano Mike so be careful, it will last just as long. The differences often are that BPS will buy by the 100k, so they get lower prices via margin/volume etc. What I have noticed though is that often the BPS engineers will confer with the brand name company and "beef" up the reel a little. The end result.....you get MORE reel for less $$$! Can't go wrong. And the BPS customer service and return policy rocks, so you are crazy not to do it unless a sponsor is sending the name brand for free. As for me, I prefer Daiwa reels, 'cause I don't make that BIG Detroit auto industry/cartoonist salary! LOL I like the Team Daiwa reels, but the reel is not as important. Once you get a hi end model of any brand, it will do the job. Just don't skimp on the line. I like Berkley fireline in 20 or 30 lb test. Again, personal preferrence, but you can use 20lb test mono, but get a good one like Ironsilk or Sensation. Am I Berkley biased????? A little! LOL

Abu Garcia 4600C3 with 50# Spiderwire.

(Simple works!)

Steve,...yes,..BPS makes several of their own reels now!!

They have their own manufacturing facilities overseas and the JLM signature reels are AWESOME!!!..check out the spinning reels and the baitcasters the next time you get a chance,..They are using 8-9 bearings in the spinning reels and 10 in the baitcasters!!...the spinning reels have ultra smooth drags and are all metal!! The baitcaster's are all metal too and their drag and anti-reverse is as good as anything on the market. They are an awesome reel....I love mine and I used Quantums for 12 years before that! I thought they were good reels too but these new JLM reels are far better in my humble opinion!! You owe it to yourself to check one out before you pay more for another reel with the same or fewer features...BPS hit a homerun with the JLM Signature series reels!!! Check one out!!

Mac

curado superfree has been good to me (maybe not the "best" but it gets the job done). i use 17 and 20lb super silverthread in the brush and timber all the time.

jd

Is the JLM reel of last year the same as this year's? Also, who makes this particular reel (this year)? If you can tell me that it's a re-badged Shimano, I'll take a dozen of 'em.

For reel i prefer a quantum energy. And I use berkly big game for line

I liked the look of the JLM as well.

But why won't anyone answer this "simple" question:

Do they (or will they) make it in a left handed model? I wouldve bought it on the spot if it was a lefty.

Also, not to steal anythunder, but this reel looks very familiar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2705179641

At this point, I am thinking this one from Cabelas is a good starter:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0017588116864a&navAction=jump&navCount=13&indexId=&podId=0017588&catalogCode=ID&parentId=&parentType=&rid=

And it appears to be a close copy to this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0011991116469a&navAction=push&navCount=25&indexId=cat20256&podId=0011991&catalogCode=ID&parentId=cat20256&parentType=index&rid=

Worse part is I have to order it to try it, as there isn't any in the area.

I like the Castaic, simply because of the Shimano name, but something just don't feel right about it, yet.

They do not make a left handed reel until you get to the $49.00 price point. I know, I fish lefty baitcasters.

I have heard that the PQ's will be left handed, but when? Who knows.

Mini

The JLM rods and reels are in my opinion, better rods and reels than the RC's, due to better components and overall quality. However the overall marketing strategy for both of them is slightly different. The RC's are his bread and butter, developed, marketed and endorsed by BPS and RC as a packaged combo. The same goes for Woo's "Extreme" rods and Quantum's "KVD Signature series" (available ONLY through BPS stores)....all of BPS's Pro's have their own signature line of products. Rick uses and promotes his stuff exclusively and together, he and BPS offer a good rod and reel combo for cranking, spinnerbaits, jiggin', topwater etc....Rick also uses 6'6" Med/Hvy rods for virtually every bait he throws.....he just prefers that, and it works for him (VEERRY WELL too i might add!..LOL) BPS also sells a lot more RC rods/reels than they do the JM Sig, stuff....mainly because of the price difference. I just like the JM and PQ stuff because I think it's lighter and the reels are a better. Again, it's just personal preference. I have a few RC combo's and they are top drawer stuff,..the action of the rods is excellent...especially for crankbaits and spinnerbaits!! I like the sensitivity and the fast tips of the JM rods and the PQ's better for tubes, jigs, worms and other finesse style baits. It wouldn't be a very good idea for RC to have his own line of signature rods and reels and then NOT use them....why would he want to do that?? If BPS, goes to the expense and trouble of developing a signature line of products for one of their Pro-Staffers,...it's because they know they can get that pro's full support when it comes to R&D, marketing, promtions and most importantly,..increased SALES! Believe me,..those guys won't endorse something that doesn't meet their needs or if they don't believe in it or use it all the time. I think the RC stuff is good stuff,..but I also think the JM stuff is a little better....just my .02 though. (Hope it helped!!)

Mac

and no...unfortunately they are not available in LH models....sorry Sim!! ;o(

I knew Mac and Mini would know better than me, but Mac, when did BPS start making their own? As I understood it, their engineers just dictacted how they wanted the brand company to make or beef up existing models. That's why you can find such striking resemblances between BPS reels and that of Daiwa, Shimano etc. No doubt the gear is top notch. I had a JLM combo on my Christmas list but Santy Claus must have run out of funds! I'm going to try the Okumas that Tournament force carries. A 10 bearing spinning reel with metal drag for only $60 retail.

I think they started building their own early last year....pretty sure the JM Sig's were the 1st ones to be built in their own facilities.....not sure exactly when they started, but it was not long ago..maybe a year ago....two max!!!...Again, it is top notch stuff, so check 'em out!! As Curtis mentioned.......they are as smooth as butter and tough as nails,..I love the JM rods and reels!!

BTW for the record Rick Clunn uses the RC704 rod for everything. That is a 7' medium action. I think it says carolina rig on the rod.

BPS USED to label other manufacturers reels, now they produce their own. Most if it had to do with quality problems in my opinion. The new reels are alot nicer than some of just a couple of years ago. I really wish they would make a lefty JLM!!!!!

Mini

just looked up the jm reel in my bps catalog that i received and it appears that this reels specs are similar to the shimano calais as far as the bearings and other features although it does not mention whether it has dartanium drag washers or not. it is priced the same as the curado super free. this sounds too good to be true. if what mac and curtis is sayin is true, i gotta try one of these out.

James,....I flat out gaurantee you what I'm sayin' is true!!

You will LOVE the JM Signature reels...TRUST ME!!! It's a sweeeet reel for the money,...shimano quality for 1/2 the price!

Mac

Just an FYI, I did hear that the "Chrome" finish on the JMS reels has a bad habit of flaking. Can't say for sure though because I do not have first hand experience. I kinda thought that chrome might get hot in the direct sun?

TOXIC

NOT!!!....Never had a JM reel's finish "flake" or get hot....infact, i'd think the smoked chrome finish would reflect the sun and stay cooler than a Black reel??!!....but i've never had a reel get hot!!....first i've heard of that!!

Mac

Toxic - I never heard about the "flaking" you described. The hot dip process we've been using on the aluminum has been flawless on the dozens I've had my hands on over the past almost two years of our own mfg. controls. I regularly test prototypes for our company and other than minor graphic changes, they are identical when marketed to the public. Can you elaborate? We try to stay on top of things!

Dan...

Do you know if/when they will ever do left handed models?

I'll ask when I get the chance during the classic. I'm willing to bet that more lefty's are on the way. It's the trend.

ok mac, i'll try one of those out. see ya at the classic (i bet your going to upgrade me from getting a extreme rod to a jm rod also :)

jd

I'll make you a deal James.....If you buy a JM reel on my recommendation......I'll only talk you into a PQ rod, and throw in a free S&T t-shirt for ya!! But if Woo's there, then you'll have to get the Extreme Rod so he can sign the handle for ya after I decorate it!!...He get's on my case if I don't push his Extreme rods!! LOL!!!!....He's a great guy,..he brings customers over all the time to have me do up their rod handles!! I hope he's there...he crax me up!!

Seeya soon BigDog!!

Mac

look forward to it mac. hope you got some XXL's ! ha!

jd

XXL's are standard fare for the Mini man and me!!..We'll have plenty of'em!! LOL We'll get ya hooked-up!! Seeya soon!!

Mac

Dan,

Believe it or not, it was an employee of BPS that warned me about the JLM reel...I was looking at a PQ and was thinking about stepping up to the JLM. The heat thing was just me blowin a little toxic gas...I have picked up rods from the deck that in the direct sun were hot.

TOXIC

Tox,...I used the JM reels (both Spinning and Baitcasters) all last year...the performed flawlessly for me and held up beautifully....I have no idea why that employee would warn you about it,...but take it from someone who uses them all the time and has never had an "issue" with them.,..they are EXCELLENT reels,...and well worth the money!! TRY them!!!

Mac

Tox - I might steer clear of that fellas advice at the reel counter. Of our private label reels, I have yet to see one of the last two years JLM reels problematic. Try one for yourself and see.

Latest posts

Back