Best Fuel additive?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Droke

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a question and welcome all opinons. What fuel additive do you believe is the best for winter storage. I am running non-ethanol gas in my 170dc. I plan on topping the tank soon and was just curious what you guys and gals suggest. I have had great luck with stabil in my lawn equipment but have had some people swear by seafoam in their outboards. Any thoughts?

Dang, Chris....you must live where it gets cold FAST! I read posts on this subject until I couldn't read anymore......some were pretty scientific.....it boiled down to Marine Stabil.....Now that I've said that, I'm sure there are folks out there that don't agree.....reminds me of what one of my buddies said when I asked the same question...his response was "use it all winter and you don't have to worry about using fuel additive...." easy for him to say....he bought about 1k of clothing last winter....

I have always used Stabil with good results. Hopefully that is still 10 weeks away yet. Chris F.

Yea I know it is early, but I also have a Whitetail obsession to go along with the Bass fishing obsession. I doubt the Nitro hits the water much more this year with archery season starting in 3 weeks. Thanks for the info!:D

All Year long I use Merc products. Fuel Treatment and Stabilizer. You can also get them mixed together in one product. Nothing against sta-bil but since merc makes it, I use it.

TOXIC

Heck I took the summer off and can't wait for fall and the jet fleas die off. But if you can still get real gas in your area, stabil is fine. Marine stabil is better and Seafoam can't hurt. I have treated my boat with all of these products and never had a problem, even with the e85 piss water they sell for gas in md.

BF

I have always used Seafoam with excellent results. My mechanic swears by it...

If you're not going to fish through the winter, then I would run it dry or if I left some, then I would use a treatment. I have a good friend who works on outboards all the time and he said that stabil crystalizes in the carbs on every engine that has been run through. Maybe the marine stabil is better, but this was his advice to me. I plan on fishing through the winter, so I'm not going to have to worry about it much. This is just my opinion and what I've been told. Hope you get good results no matter what you try.

Stabil - marine version (green/blue) for E10, standard (red) for non-ethanol gas (impossible to find these days). Been using it for over 20 years, first on my lawn mower, chain saw, snowblower and assorted two-stroke tools, then on my various motorcycles (all carb'd) and now on my outboards. Never had an issue over winters up in Buffalo, NY (i.e., long, cold and snowy!) nor in Virginia. A single dose will keep gas preserved for one year. A double dose will keep the gas preserved for two years.

Thanks for all the great information. Since I am fortunate enough to have a soure of non-ethanol gas within 2 miles of my house and I use it in all my lawn equipment and my boat I will more than likely use red sta-bil. Thanks again for all of the knowledge you guys share on this site.:)

Latest posts

Back