Best Frog?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on the best frog on the market? I currently use Zoom Horny Toad and Ribbits to swim and Spro for the hollow belly. Will be using to fish matted grass.

The best one is whatever one you have the most confidence in.

The ones you mentioned are all good esp the Spro but recently I tried the StrikeKing Ragetail which has super tail action on top of the mat and even to use as a swim bait in open water.They are about 4 inches long and have a slit for the hook and look great and also produce a good splash and lots of noise and if nothing else come with a nice coffee scent, makes you want to have some doughnuts along....

Tight lines with your Tx

I've been told that Reaction Innovations Swamp Donkey was the best frog ever made but they are no longer in production and I couldn't find them on line anywhere.

Interesting concept with the clear legs on the Chubby.

I'm with the rest on Spro (Kermie);)

Teri - To add action and to make walking the hollow body frog easier, trim the legs to about 2 3/4" on one side and 2 1/2" on the other. That 1/4" difference will kick the side out a bit and alternate the views, making walking it a breeze. Another thing, gently open the slot where the hooks protrude on a hollow body frog, lube up a glass worm rattle with some spit, and slide it up the hole where the hook shanks extrude. You now have a rattling frog that makes a killer tic-tic sound when worked. One last thing I do on every hollow body frog I use is slightly expand the gap from the body just a bit. You want just a hair of daylight between the hooks and the body for a much better hookup ratio. Swamp donkeys are great, but the new Koppers Frogs I've been testing are "da'bomb"!! The Spro's aren't bad at all either. ;):D

11.7lb Monster 3-30-07.JPG

Dan, thanks for the tips. I've heard about the Koppers Live Target. Looked all over online and cant find those either. Guessing the might be out yet and only the privledges such as yourself have them. I bought a few Spro's a Bass Pro.

The Spro's are dang good!! (That's what is in the one's mouth above.) I think the Koppers advantage is going to be slightly more to catch fishermen than fish. :lol: It is incredibly real looking, but not as hefty as the Spro or the Swamp Donkeys with less of a walking cadence. (Due to size difference.) The Donkey's can chuck a mile and walks great with a real pliable body for compression making for a great hookset, but durability isn't their strong point. :( Overall and in a T, I'd stake my game on the Spro frogs for their well rounded worthiness. Good luck! ;)

P.S. None of those companies have done anything more for me than be generous with evaluation products, so I'm not trying to push you one way or another, just relating what I've experienced. Since 2005 at my final retirement, I'm a "free agent". :lol::lol::D

Oh yeah, FWIW - I was told the Koppers will be on the shelves by Thanksgiving. Also, make sure you take all the colors of the Spro frogs necessary (couple of each at least) on G'ville: white, black, and bullfrog. Bright/sunny - white, overcast/rainy - black, and when in doubt or clear water - bullfrog. Good luck, God Bless, and I'm rooting on seeing you with a trophy held over your head!! :D

One thing I found on G'ville is a lot of the 'weedless' frogs were NOT when used in the heavy matted grass. I had a number of the Snag proof and Scum Frogs continue to get grass in the hollow bodies, best truly weedless hollow body we found were the SPRO's. Now on the plastics we had luck with the Ragetail (breaking/opening up the legs for more action), the and Ribbits. Now color is a HUGE factor and we couldn't find just the right color last time, we had locals tell us White and Black (1 of each).

Can't wait to follow you online! Eli and I were talking about doing a day trip to G'ville on the 6th to try for the frog bite again, but figure with you and the big dogs it will be way crowded and didn't want Eli to land the 25lbs you need! LOL Cause it wouldn't be me!

Now this is why I love this site!

Best info your gonna get:cool:

Oh and BTW....Tox turned me onto Spro a few years back and it was the best advice anyone has given me in a long time. I have a rod that's got a Spro lil' John crank on it (cellmate) for the last year and a half and has produced when nothing else will.

TEE, you and CIII. He throws that LJ Cell Mate probably 45% of the time when we are in MI. One day he caught 5 different species of fish on it!! When I first got them, I gave one to Gunny on Lake Anna after we fished down a bank into a cove. He tied it on and backtracked and caught 4 fish on 4 casts in water he had just covered. New to the lineup, and because I know you fish deep, is the SPRO Deep Diver in Cell Mate. John Crews used it to notch his win on the Elites this year. They didn't give it any press but I watched the T on TV and saw exactly what he was throwing. Check it out. ;)

Teri, a couple of additional mods are more subtle but some folks use a sharpie to put additional designs on the body (and belly) and along with inserting the rattle, some guys put a piece of sponge in the body to help them float and they then spray attractant in the body and on the sponge which will hold the scent and create a scent trail. Off the chart, some buy capsules of fish oil (any wall mart vitamin section) and insert those along with the rattle. They dissolve and do the same as spraying attractant in there. Then there are those who modify the "legs" other than just cutting them as Dan suggested, they replace the skirt legs with colored Rabbit fur strips (1- 1/2 in strip on each side) or they add a few strands of glitter to the skirt material. The first generation of SPRO frogs had a small Colorado spinnerbait blade between the hind legs as well. SPRO just came out with a monster frog this year, it's like 6"!! From the website:

The new SPRO Bronzeye King Daddy is designed for those trophy fish that aren't just looking for a small snack! Just like it's little brother but in a magnum size the King Daddy is the full meal deal! It's designed to be fished in heavy cover or out in open water. Because it's of it's larger one ounce, 90MM size it's even easier to cast long distances. It comes standard with a heavy duty 6/0 specially designed Gamakatsu Double Frog Hooks. Don't cast this King Daddy on your ultralight tackle!

Weight 1 oz., Size 90mm

Where's Neeley when you need him? I don't think he has ever thrown a lure straight out of the box. He's a tinkerer!! Mike C is also an avid SPRO Frog user and mods his frogs as well.

TOXIC

I haven't been fishing in far too long, but I got turned on to the Rage Tail products right after they came out. Once you get the 'hang' of how to setup the hook and rig the bait, they are great. I just use the Rage Tail Shad most of the time. Big fish will really knock the devil out of it.

Toxic's tip on the slightly shorter skirt length works like a champ. I like the Spro Frogs also.

Best of luck - you are doing very well.

Tex

I second or third the Spro Little John cell mate. After watching Carlos whack the heck out of them in Michigan, I always have one with me. I do modify Rat-L-Traps (blue and chrome) with a different hook on the front and a willow type blade on the back. More like the old Spin_Traps they used to sell. Whacked alot of fish on those when the regular Rat-L-Trap won't work. Good for sunny days in spring especially.

I will be heading to bass pro to pick up more Spro frogs. I only bought 2 so I need some back up. Academy actually has them $1 cheaper so I might head there at lunch.

Question, what type of rattle do you insert and do you just let it freely "roll" around in the belly? I have worm rattles (tiny) and tube rattles.

JimmyE, I did not see those but I will be watching them this weekend when I have some time!! Thanks!!!

SPRO KING FROGS ON SALE $4.88 REG. $12.99 at Cabelas.com

Holy cow, that's a great price. Don't forget about the Poppin Frog by SPRO, some have switched to that body style exclusively. Any size rattle will work. Just depends on how much noise you want it to make.

TOXIC

No one mentioned the Tru Tungsten Mad Maxx. Kind of surprised. Reason?

Teri, this is what I like for a frog, weighs in at 5/8oz..

Buzz

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageHDTNATFRIEN-BZSUMFG.html

Cash talks and bull sh*t walks. :lol:

2nd place (1st looser) $20,000.00 cash and prizes Potomac Snag Proof all frog TX 2010

Bobby's Perfect frog from Snag Proof

Mike

Those Bobby frogs are the same price as the Spro's. I was surprised. I bought Spro's regular and poppers, got the King Spro for $4.99, and ordered a few of the Tru Tungsten Mad Maxx on sale. I'll try them in practice and see which one wins. Hope they all do!

I was told I would be a fool if I didn't take Bobby's Perfect frog. Guess I will be going to pick up some of those too.:p

Latest posts

Back