Best Baitcasting line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Mazza

Reaction score
Without regard to price what is the best bait casting line on the market?

I'm sure it's not the "best", but I just love Trilene XL,8, 10,12 lb test.egMike

for me, I use P line and Berkley Big game. Berkley Big game is the best for the price but it depends on the application

I don't know if you can say "best" in an all encompassing word. There are many different situations that for me each require a different line. It depends if you're casting or pitching/flipping. But I have to agree that I prefer all Berkely lines. I use 6lb-8lb sensithin for spinning outfits for smallies. 12 lb XT for jerkbaits and crankbaits. 14 lb xt for spinnerbaits, 17 lb XT with a 12 sensithin or XL leader. And 20 LB fireline for pitching. Of course there are times I modify from those, but that's the basic gist. I do not like berkley Vanish flurocarbon. Had some and did not like it at all. I am still looking for a good flurocarbon I like.

Rob,

Try the XPS Flourocarbon.....it works for VanDam and Clunn....

Mini

I will, everyone raves about it for c-rig leaders. Maybe I just got a bad batch. The knots kept breaking and it tangled something fierce.

I guess I should have answered the original question....

If you havent used the XPS Sig, Series of mono and flourocarbon you are missing out on some great lines. This year I used it exclusively and was very impressed with its strengh, abrasion resistance and sensitivity. It is a litle larger in diameter than other lines per pound test, but the advantages and price are well worth it. Heck 8 pound test will stop a bass boat like an anchor if you can tie a good knot.

I used to use Berkley Trilene XT exclusively, and still do when needed, for most of my baitcasting AND spinning gear. The XPS mono is very similar in characteristics, but I would say that XPS is a little "softer" line.

As with almost all fishing lines, you should use a line dressing (Reel Magic, 100% silicon works too, no silicon valley jokes fellas). Just spray it on the line in the morning before you head out to your first spot. It helps "relax" the line, making it more managable. Especially true for flourocarbon line and heavier mono, but I use it on all my line with the exception of braid.

More tips for flourcarbon:

1. On spinning gear is to use as large of a diameter spool as possible, even if it means to "oversize" your reel. I am sure most of you use "2000" series spinning reels. I like to use "4000" series reels because of the large diameter of the spool. Flourocarbon doesnt like to be "wound" up and it wont be as much with a bigger reel. The added bonuses are longer casts with all lines, especially jerkbaits in the wind (hint hint Rob).

2. Flourocarbon line is actually more abrasion resistant than mono, but one little scratch in it and it likes to break. KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THE LINE! If it starts to fray at all, even if you THINK it might be, retie. I use a Trilene knot with good success and know others that like the palomer. I do use a palomer when drop shotting.

3. I do not recommend that it be used with top water baits or any other bait that you would be concerned with the line sinking. Flourocarbon sinks and can be used to help your crankbaits run a little deeper when needed. It can also make a difference when using soft jerkbaits....(hint #2 Rob)

4. Flourocarbon line has its advantages too....much more sensitive and it virtually disappears in clear water. It has the same light refractive qualities of water and becomes difficult to detect in the clearest of water.

The stuff is more sensitive than mono and less than braid. Great advantage in working jigs (tubes, grubs, etc.) and slow finesse type presentations.

Try some or all of these Rob with some 10lb XPS Sig. Series Flourocarbon and I think you will see that it is very effective and can help put fish in the boat, especially on days that are tough in clear water.

As far as a C-Rig leader, I use mono. The flourocarbon sinks the bait in some instances. Mono will help float the bait off the bottom, but some days sinking might be the ticket.

Mini

Sooooo, WHAT are you saying???? LOL I should try flurocarbon again? Who makes the XPS mini? I tried palomer, polamar, polymar, HOWEVER you spell it, but they kept breaking when I tied the knot. I suppose it's possible I got a bad spool of the stuff. It can happen with mono, so I assume it can with fluro too. I had won it in a tourney so who knows how old it was. I will have to try it on jerkbaits like you said Mini, didn't know that it sinks, which can be a great help when the water warms and suspenders tend to float with water density changes. I will stick with mono on c-rigs since you noted the sink. I have a hard enough time keeping baits up with the heavier hooks I use on c-rigs. Ever try the riverside lizards with air pockets? Do they really float?

Yes they realy do float. You can also try the new 3x plastics by Terminator or Strike King. They float also. Try using a Mustad MegaLite hook.....smaller wire diameter, less weight, easier hook penetration and still strong.

I know this sounds elementary to most, but are you wetting your knots prior to cinching the knot tight? Remember that mono and flourocarbon (I wish it had and easier name) are essentially plastic or nylon. The heat from the friction of cunching a knot is enough to melt the line rendering it useless.

I am not sure who makes the line, but I talked with KVD three years ago in the early development stages of the line and he told me he was giving up his Trilene deal to go with BPS' XPS line.....a strong statement.

Mini

I always spit on the line for just that reason. That's why I couldn't figure out why it was breaking. I know when mono gets old it breaks easy like that. Like I said, maybe the vanish was old too. I imagine it gets brittle with age as well right?

Yes it does, and in my opinion, faster than mono. Realize that with ALL "plastic" or "nylon" fishing lines that its three biggest enemies are the actual enviroment we use it in. Sun, Water and Heat. Always keep your line in a cool, dry place out of the direct sunlight. Even long term exposure to flourescent lighting can be bad for it. Thats why at the end of the year all the tackle stores sell fishing line cheap.

Mini

BPS XPS Sig. Series Mono and Flouro. Holds all common wet knots well and has a very high abrasion factor without the stiffness. More bang for the buck

There are only 4 brands that I know of that make 100% flouro. line, BPS-XPS, Sugoi, seaguar, and Vanish. Any other company's flouro is only coated and doesn't have the full sensitivity of 100% flouro I believe. I don't know about breaking the knots Rob. That's strange. I recommend the Sugoi though. It seems to have less memory than the other flouro lines.

Justin A.

Jinkai and Momoi also make 100 percent flourocarbon. They are credited with creating the flouro processing in the early '80s. It's still unclear (to me) just who did what first. The two companies each claim the origination of the process.

Both of these companies are a stones throw from each other...in Japan! I'm not sure of int'l patent rights, but I can speak on the patents myself and my former company held in the U.S. A patent is a great marketing advantage, however does nothing to prevent out and out theft of an original idea. When battling over patent rights the only ones who win are the attorneys!LOL Ask anyone in the boat biz about "splashing" and be prepared for a long heated discussion.

sounds like neither of them applied for the patent then...

but when it comes to patents....you can only patent a "process" and not a product....for example...nobody can patent a "jerkbait" per se,..they can only patent the process they use to make that bait such as the way they paint it or the way they manufacture the bait. Maybe it's a case where you can't patent "Flourocarbon"...but they each have unique "processes" they use to make it,..so they can each claim that they "own it"...(yeah,..they own the process to make it,...but they don't OWN flourocarbon line)

Same with cars.....nobody OWNES the patent to "Automobiles", but auto companies have a gazillion patents on how to "build" them. ...just my guess anyway.

Mac

Check out the line from Triple-Fish, I havent put any on the baitcaster, but I can say for sure that the "RX Spinning" is some of the sweetest line I have used.

http://www.triplefish.net

Justin - Add Stren to that list.

Mac - For some reason, I was under the impression that there was only one company (maybe DuPont?) that actually made fluorocarbon and that they sold it to be marketed under different brand names - much the same as they did with kevlar years ago.....

QUESTION:

For those who have used it extensively.....

How would you rate fluorocarbon as an all-around line?

Would you consider using it exclusively as many do with mono?

me!

Scott,..I have no idea who actually makes the stuff....maybe it comes from naugas!!!...HA!!

Scott,

There is no "magic" line that will work in all situations. The best all-around line IMHO is still XPS mono. All types have their disadvantages, including mono.

Mini

I just did a bit of digging on the internet.....

My impression from what I found (not too much) is that Fluorocarbon is manufactured in bulk by DuPont. It seems to be a derivative of Teflon. The bulk material - possibly in bar stock - is then sold to companies such as Berkeley and Stren who process it into fishing line.

me!

That is also my take on it. And what Mac said is true, it is the process of manufacturing, or the idea of a process of manufacturing it is what would be patented. That is how two companies can have a patent on a similar product made from different processes.

Mini

I don't really think there is a "best". If there were, everyone else would be out of business. It still comes down to personal preference and what best fits the conditions at the time.

Here in Florida lakes, for all around use, I favor Silver Thread AN40. For pitching to heavy cover, I like P Line. For flipping heavy cover, I like Power Pro. For deep crank baits in open water, I like Mega Thin.

Russ

Latest posts

Back