Best all purpose LINE.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Fary

Reaction score
Ok, I am not a hard core tournament fisherman. I enjoy a lazy morning or afternoon on the lake (usually with the family). If I catch a fish, it is a bonus, but by no means is it a requirement.

Over the last year I have upgraded my boat, and over time my tackle. I typically use BPS Pro Qualifier Round reels, and the Bionic Blade Extreme Medium Heavy 6'6" or 7' lengths.

Currently, some of my rods have 10# Stren line due to me learning how to cast the baitcasting reels. Others have 15# Stren. I know some people use different pound tests for different types of fishing. Right now, at the level I am at, I think it is more economical for me to buy one brand & pound test and go from there.

Now my questions......

1. What is your brand preference for baitcasting lines?

2. What is a good 'all purpose' pound test to use?

3. How often do you respool and is it just a judgement call on when it is time?

As always, thanks in advance.

Bryan

I use Stren 12# lo-vis/or clear. on all my reel execpt my flipping rod which has 20# Stren on it.

I replace it when I don't like the way it feels when I run my fingers over the line if it is rough or has kinks in it, or when it doesn't lay right. If if curls up really bad I change it.

P-line 15lb. floroclear, works great and is not visible to fish.

Only have changed out when after numerous re-ties the reel gets a little low to manage easily.

Tom

For all purpose i've been using Stren 10lb for years. Tried others and have not had as good luck in knot strength and abrasion resistance. I bought a HUGE roll of it last fall and it's on most of my rods, have not lost 1 LURE/fish to it.

I do LOVE P-Line for heavy trolling (30lb) have hooked bottom/trees trolling a 5 oz umbrella rig and NOT a break off yet!!

hey tom,

that pline floro. at bps seems to be a good deal for the price. how long have you used it? any problems with it at all?

has anyone else had any experience with the pline floro?

thanks,

bryan

LOL, you are getting all kinds of answers...hehe

I really like ANDE line. It is made mainly for saltwater but I use it everyday in fresh water. It has low memory and is super-strong. It also seems to be very abrasion resistant. I throw weightless worms on 15# ANDE Backcountry line into trees and brush. I wouldn't stick to a certain # line. I use 12# for crankbaits and baby-brush hogs, 15# for worms, spinnerbaits, and #20 for jigs in normal cover/grass. I will use a heavier line line Berkley Fireline for really thick flippin' or if I want to watch my line on the surface with slug-gos
http://www.andemonofilament.com/

I have tried lots of diferent lines over the years. The one i truly like the best so far is BPS Excel, i have not tried the "signature series" yet. I like the price and it fishes really nice. It handles real nice on spinning and casting reels. I think its truly as good as bps claims it is. I fish a lot of 12# on casting reels for all purpose, i also use 14 for the same. For fliping and c-rigs i up it to 25. i run 10# on all my spinning stuff. I change it about once a month, i do fish alot and i like to keep the line fresh. I do it to avoid the frustration of line twist and stiff line. The excel is cheap enough i can afford to respool often, i buy the $22 jumbo spools. in 12# its like 4300 yards and i get more then a year out of one.

what about the floro lines? are they worth the extra $$? i was going to get a large spool and keep it for future line changes. should i spend the extra $$ and get one of the floro lines?

bryan

I dont know how they are now but i didnt like florocarbon one bit when i tried it a few years ago. I tried the berkley vanish when it first came out and that stuff was so stiff it was almost uncastable, backlash city on a baitcaster. I use the florocarbon now as leader material for carolina rigs just to use it up. i for one dont believe it catches any more fish then regular line at least thats been my exerience. once i use up the rest of that spool i bought i wont buy it again.

At the Bassmaster University, a couple of the pros said do NOT put Florocarbon on your spinning reels. They were not impressed by it at all. They said the speciality lines have their places, but for the most part, good ole' mono is the way to go.

With all due respect to Toxic (none, since he's a bad kisser), I've found that if I were limited to one line size, it would be 14 pound. It handles well, etc. Some companies make a 15 pound instead, and that's fine too.

It's a tad heavy for spinning, but I'll use 12 pound on spinning gear, so why not 14?

Now, colors... I like a moss green (low-vis green) for anything where I'll be in constant contact with the bait (spinnerbaits, cranks, tx rig, c-rigs, jigs). For finesse applications like wacky rigs and such, I like florescent blue (not CLEAR blue) because it's easier to see. However, if I could only have one, it'd be green.

Bass Pro's Excel line is a very good line for the money. My only beef with it is the amount of stretch. Their 17 pound and lower seems okay, but I've got some 30 pound line that I catfish with and I can pull a "Bill Dance hookset" and have the fish come off... there's just that much stretch.

To me, 20 pound line on a low-profile baitcaster is just too big. It doesn't cast well, etc. I really shouldn't even OWN any 30 pound line, but since I have it, it's on my catfish rigs (large round baitcasters, where neither distance nor accuracy is as important).

I have just switched to Yo-Zuri Hybrid lines. Marketing says it has the benefits of a flurocarbon but it handles like a mono. I think they're right.

I've been using it all season and have zero complaints. I have used the 8 and 10 lb in clear color on all spinning rods and 12 & 15lb green on bait casters. It's good stuff.

Marke

Bryan,

Been using it for at least a year now (and that's alot of time on the water, just check my reports for the past 2 years), maybe more....

All casting aplications seems to be good, especially pitchin' jigs or senkos (what sensitivity!) and throwin' all different worm set-ups. Started throwing reaction baits on it lately and so far it's been good for buzzbaits/spinnerbaits too. Most of my limited buzzbait fish have been hooked good on front hook (even though I use a trailer) and haven't lost hardly any.

Haven't tried cranks yet but it does cast good, just not sure if it's low stretch will cause fish to come off (maybe my BPS Crankin' Stick will absorb the energy?).

One thing to remember though, this line just has too much memory for the spinning stuff (I even tried to downsize to 6lb and it still want's to come off the reel).

Try it out and I think you'll be happy with it.

Tom

BTW, I'm not sponsored (by anyone,har), just my honest .02

Tox, I'm gonna recheck to be sure, but I seem to recall the local outfitters (French Creek outfitters, Phoenixville, PA) having about a case or two of the Trilene Tournament in the Clearance aisle. Same packaging (gold box, right?), so I believe that's what I saw. That'll gimme a reason to drive down... ;^)

There is no perfect line unless all you do is the same thing everytime you fish.

I use XPS Sig. Sereis Mono, XPS Flourocarbon and PowerPro Braid. All for different reasons and conditions, BUT I fish alot of tournaments in different conditions.

If I were Brian, who asked first....lol....I would use 10, 12 or 14 pound XPS Signature Series mono. You would be fine to spool it once a month or so depending on usage and more importantly storage.

The suggestion of ReelMajic is a good one for all "plastic" line. 100% Silicone spray works too, it wont scare the fish and it really relaxes the "coils" in mono and flouro.

Mini

Mini

Terry, if you happen to head that way check it out and let me know. We WILL work something out!!

Minis right, don't spray power-pro with reel majic...LOL. The first time Carlos and I went out he had some heavy line and it actually slapped the guides as it came off...I sprayed it with reel majic and the next cast he put his crank 10 feet on shore!!

But here is a tip, power-pro bleaches out and gets "weak" as it ages. Since it is $$ line, I simply got my spare spool and re-wound my line. Now the older line (which had been in the water the most and had worn) is now on the bottom of the spool and the fresh line is now on the top. Since there is no memory in power-pro it works great.

TOXIC

I personally like that "one" line that doesn't break and doesn't have a lot of memory....good line.

TEE

Like others have said, it depends how much you fish and how long the line sits on the spool, and how big of fish you have been hauling in on how often you should change the line.. As for lines I use three Mfg.'s

Maxima - Mono

Seaguar - Flourocarbon

Power Pro = Braided

Buzz

I use:

Spiderwire SuperMono (6 to 10 lb.test for spinning)

Trilene XL(2 to 6 lb. test for ultralight)

BPS XPS (10 to 14 lb. test for baitcasters)

I fish a lot of clear water so clear is usually my color unless the water stays stained.

TEE

Here's a question: I've read how Tox "flips-flops" the $$ lines. Was wondering how many people FILL a spool with the $$ lines. What I've been doing is to fill the spool with some cheap or older line (stuff I might be inclined to give away or just trash anyway). Take it outside with a 1/4 oz casting plug, and give it a good heave. Cut that section off, and do one more heave. Cut that section off and tie-in my $$ line, then fill the spool. This gives me at least double what I am ever going to cast, and plenty of room for play. Got the idea when putting mono backing on the braids.

I usually do the same thing with my reels Terry H.

Except my salt water gear which has 100% fresh line. Because there have been occasions where fish have spooled me and come close to spooling me.

Hey Tox,

You are not supposed to tell em I put it ON the shore, just really close to the bank :) Course, which side of the bank is left for you to figure out.

BTW Went out and bought some Reel magic and Cecil gave me some really good line stuff too. it is in the boat at home and I do not remember the name.... Cecil?

Carlos

OK Afterthought; You all must have LOTS more poles then I do, as it is not that big an expense to respool 1 or 2 times a year. Not to steel this thread, but how many rigs do you all have? I have 6 or 7 at the most. From 4 lb test to 15 lb test.

I have always had a problem with just about every mono out there however I am starting to like Trilene XL. Fairly limp, casts very well, available in 3 differant colors ect. If you are looking for an all purpose line with few bad habits I would have to nominate Berkley Trilene XL.

Harpo

P.S. The Reel Magic is great stuff. The cover on the gear shifter on my Jeep was getting sticky.....Reel Magic fixed it with no greasy mess.

Changing the rubber rub strip moulding on the side of my boat was a real P.I.A. until I sprayed the gunwale with Reel Magic.

So you think that's enough for an endorsment?

Tox, Sending you an e-mail RE the Trilene Tx Strength.

Bryan -

I've been using good, ol' Stren for as long as I can remember..... But at age 53, the length of time I can remember seems to be getting shorter all the time!

On Occasion, I've tried other makes, but haven't seen enough of a practical difference. Best thing about using lines like Stren or Berkeley is that they are available everywhere! No getting frustrated because you can't find your favorite line somewhere late at night!

On the rods I use for artificial baits, I use Lo-Vis Clear. On the rods I use for live/prepared baits, I generally use flourescent. I have occasionally used green, but haven't seen any noticable improvemnet with it over clear. (In fact, fishing for trout in Missouri's Ozark streams, even when the water is slightly stained, I have found clear to be best.)

I do use a wide variety of strengths - from 2 and 4# on my ultra-light spinning rods for trout to 17# on medium-heavy baitcasters. Matching the line strength to the tackle and targeted spieces, to me, is probably the single most important factor followed closely by color.

me!

Latest posts

Back