Best all around line #2

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
So, as always, I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on lines. Here are my two cents....

I used to use nothing but mono, like everyone did 15 years ago, but last year I tried superbraid and powerpro and that changed everything.

Having not fished for the last 4 months (winter sucks), I thought of going back to good ol' mono this year, for the $ and the ease of never having to use a leader....

Well, after dealing with line coils and the notorious light bite of trout on Saturday, I must say, that my one and only line is power pro for now on. After getting used to the benifits of braid, I just can't standard mono anymore (Perhaps for trolling where sensativity and casting have no meaning, but shock is an issue), but for inshore, surf, live bait, plastics, and even crank baits and spinners, I just can't stand mono anymore.

So, for the braid lovers out there, what's your brand? I am going to do some experimenting with differents brands/# tests this year, and I wanted people's feedback on different braids.

Powerpro vs. Super Braid?

Spider line vs. Fire Wire?

Etc.......

For braids i use two. Powerpro and original spiderwire. For castability i thnk power pro is tough to beat but i like spiderwire in rocks better, i have had problems with power pro cutting. Thats why i use both. I also use mono about 75% of time time. Both mono and braid have applications where they excel and some that they dont work well on.

For braided line I only use Power Pro, I have tried Fire Line, Spiderwire, ect... and Power Pro seems to have allot less memory. I only use it on a couple of my spinning reels. Dont like the way it digs into itself on baitcasters, tended to get stuck when casting of when fighting a fish. For baitcasters I use Berkly Big Game 10, 12 and 15 pound test in low-vis green. For the money you cant beat it, and its limp enough to cast well on baitcaster and tough enough for fishing in weeds and stumps.

Just my .02

I have to agree with Brian. I have tried all of them and Power Pro is the best for me (very castable/low mem). I also use it on only two rods. 1 rod for C-rigging and 1 spinning rod for weightless worms.

Jaws

I like PowerPro and Spiderwire. I buy PowerPro when I can't afford the Spiderwire. As for mono, I went to P-Line and I had much less break offs than with Berkely, Stren & Rapala. I just ordered some Suffix line and it hasn't come thru the mail yet. But I've heard the stuff is awesome. Very little memory from what I heard.

Jim,

Let us know about the Suffix line, which one did you order, I understand they have 2 versions. I almost got some yesterday when at Sports Authority..

thanks

Brian

Back