Berkley Vanish line ????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
I decided to try it this year due to the clear water. It wasn't long before I started to notice the line getting frayed up in places. I'm talking 20' up the line from the lure, not down close where you would expect damage from rocks and such.

After multiple times of cutting off line, I ended up needing to re-spool. I tried it again, with the same results. Two spools,and only a few months into the season.:angry:

Is it just me? Or is this stuff junk? Or does it just nick up that easy?

Any recommendations for good Flurocarbon in the 8lb range?

Steve

Steve,

I had 8lb vanish and had the exact same problem. I broke off more fish in 2 weeks than I have in 10 years! I'm taking the spool back to BPS and see if they'll give me a store credit for it. I'll never use it again, although I did like the sensitivity, I just didn't have any confidence in it. I'm also looking for a "good" flurocarbon, good luck.

Jim

Was it only on one rod you were having the problems?

If so, you might want to check the guides for cracks or nicks.

I don't like the vanish much, but use the transition in 20# for pitching and BPS flouro for all my other sizes and applications and love the stuff:wub:. The only fraying problems I have had were warranted (pulling fish out of brushpiles or under docks).

I use it on 5 or 6 of my reels - never been a problem and never broke off a fish. I'm just a recreational fisherman, not a tourney guy.

TJ

I checked everything Velcro.

Switched back to good old Trilene XL. No more problems.

But the water is getting even clearer, and the fluro seems to make a difference.

Steve

I use the 14 lb Transition and like TJ and Velcro have it on many of my reels. I haven't had any problem with fraying, but when I first started using it, like Jim, I broke off more fish than I ever had. I attributed the break-offs to the line having so little stretch. I have backed off on my drags and have not had the problem since.

I would say try the BPS flouro - I have 8# & 6# on all my spinning reels and don't have any fraying problems.

I agree with moc about setting a loose drag and also tie a palomar knot slowly and with plenty of spit. I always cinch my knot up away from the bait/hook, and then slide it down to the eye. Since I went to BPS and got really careful about my knots, I have not had any breaking problems that weren't my fault.

Thats why they call it VANISH, the fish vanish. I tried it many times and when I use it dropshot it works great (slow hookset/ manly start reeling). The other times with a hard hook set it breaks. I took the last spool of it and held it up to a strong light and the inside core of the line was cracked. This cracking was from the beginning of the spool out. I have since tried the BPS brand and it seems to be the best flouro line out.

I have used both vanish and transition and have found that some spools work great while other so not perform as well. I have switched over to p-line in both 12 and 14 lb for my baitcasting reels. I fish around stumps and rocks and so far it does better than the vanish did.

You guys have hit it square, you can't rip lips with the light fluro's, sweeping hooksets are best. I have some SPRO fluro in 12 and 17. Not a problem:p I c-rig with it. Must work good because CIII is always wantin more of it!! My tourney partner used it (Vanish) but broke off a lot of fish in 2 straight tournaments. I am a mono guy mainly because I fish plastics and I want the stretch. I found my favorite line of all time and Berkley discontinued it. Trilene Tournament strength in Photochromic. A few of the members here were kind enough to scour the tackle stores and get all they could find on clearance and send it to me. My stock is running low and I'm gonna have to go try something else:angry: I would like to stay in the Trilene family but we'll have to see, I have tried most all of them in the past.

TOXIC

Not having any problems with the knots breaking. Just the line fraying easily (too easily it seems to me). It's not even happening near the bait where you would look for it to fray. I just happen to notice bad spots farther up the line while I'm fishing.

I'll see what other brands the local stores carry and try another one. Some of the lakes I fish are gin clear, and I definately noticed a difference in the amount of bites with fluro.

Steve

GUYS:

I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM LAST YEAR. THOUGHT IT WAS THE GUIDES ON MY ROD. WENT ROUND AND ROUND AND FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM. THE GIUDE ON MY BAITCASTING REEL HAD A CUT IN IT. WOULD EVENTUALLY WEAR THE LINE OUT IN DIFFERENT SPOTS.

MIKE

Vanish needs to vanish....it's junk.

I now carry BPS XPS Flouro at the store...I can send you some if you like.

You need to stretch it when you spool.

I have some samples of the new Gamma extra limp flouro.....I'm gonna try it when Tox and C3 come up in a couple of weeks.

If it works good, I'll let you know and send you a sample to try.

Call me if you want to try the XPS......248-666-7799

I've never used it because I've never heard anything good about it. I'm a P-Line guy myself.

Harpo

I have tried some of the Transition and it frays, two different spoold of it to be exact. I swaped rods and used a buddy's rod and it still frays. I talked to a few guys in my club and they have had the same problem with the Transition. No more junk for me, going a different route now may try some of Tox's Spro line.

Donnie

I have never ever been a fan of flourocarbon lines period!

Even ask some of the Hall of Famers like Fred McClintock;)

I've used Vanish for several years with no problems to speak of. I mainly use 10lb on my spinnerbait and crankbait rod/reals. I've used Vanish on Lake Erie draggin' tubes ever since it came out.

I buy the bulk 2000 YD spools.

RoyC

I am currently using BPS XPS Floro in 6lb test, I use it with a 1/16 Bullet weight, I don't have any of those problems, very sensitive and no break off's or fraying. I have not had a loop or springing off the bail problem either. I filled the spool up 3/4 of the way, and when I spooled it, I kept extra tension while going on the spool. I also put a good amount of spit on the line while tying as well.

But now after saying this, I will have all the problems :wacko:

Steve R, try running a cotton swab around all the eyes on your pole and also on the reel wher it comes in contact with the line, the cotton swab should get caught up on the nick if you have one.

CJL

Thanks Ken, I'll give the XPS a try.

I'll give you a call this weekend to place an order. I see you have bulk tubes, and I need 100 or so brownish/reddish 3 1/2 - 4" tubes.

Steve

XPS Flouro is the way to go. Gamma is awesome line too, albeit a little pricy.

Mini

I sent a copy of this thread to Berkley asking if the problems we have experienced were due to something we did or did not do. Below is the response received, an offer to replace the line and a tech sheet about the line. The tech sheet does stress the use of the Trilene knot and excessively wetting the line before clinching the knot.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 2:25 PM

To:[email protected]

Subject: FW: Berkley Fishing Contact Form - Vanish & Transition lines

Thank you for taking time to contact us and sharing your experiences using Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. We are always eager to hear from interested fishermen concerning the quality and performance of our products and value your comments. Apparently, you've experienced a problem with our Vanish line. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any frustration that this has caused you.

Because Vanish is 100% fluorocarbon, it is very different from traditional nylon monofilaments. For example, fluorocarbon does not absorb water like nylon so the properties of Vanish will not change as you fish. In addition, the greater "hardness" of the fluorocarbon material means you must take extra care in lubricating and cinching down knots.

Berkley has a long-standing reputation for producing the finest in fishing tackle and it is our goal to provide quality products that fishermen can use with confidence. We regret that you were dissatisfied with your Vanish purchase and we will send some information that you may find helpful in making future line selections. In addition, we would like to replace your line for you, please send the line that you have left along with the spool so we can test the line. We will enter a replacement order for you and ship it UPS so please be sure to include a UPS address.

Please send your line to :

Pure Fishing

1900 18th St.

Spirit Lake, IA 51360

Nissa Lundquist

Customer Service Representative

That's what I don't understand Moc, It's not the knot, or even where you'de expact to see damage above the knot from rocks. Sometimes I have to cut off 10' of line to eliminate the bad spot. Seems like it just ramdomly happens.

Wonder if the Reel Majic has anything to do with it? It's the only thing I can think of.

Steve

Steve, I did have some fraying in my 14# Vanish Transition this weekend while fishing our club

Latest posts

Back