Bearing question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Lavely2

Reaction score
My 1996 170DC has the easy lube bearing on the trailer (grease fittings). I was always taught to grease them as often as possible to push the water out because we trailer our boat everywhere and immerse it often. My question is do I need to repack the bearings at some point. I don't think its ever been done and I was told that you never have to if you keep them greased.

Well good maintenace practice says you should tear them off once a year, clean and inspect the bearings/races. if that has never been done i am betting you will find pitted bearings, as i know from experience that all trailers, not just the Nitro/tracker branded ones mind you, but ALL are built on a bid process for componants....you can read into that what you want to. I am on my 6th new boat trailer since 1990, have never not found weak bearings even in the first year. Mind you I am an ASE tech by trade and training, Trucks not boats but a bearing is a bearing. I too trailer many miles every year, and refuse to be caught with my pants down for lack of mainenance.

Back