Battery Compartment

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kris hirt

Reaction score
The lids that you open to the back of my boat is so tight that i cannot pull it up with my hands. I literally have to pry it with a flathead screwdriver to get it loose. The carpet isnt bunched up anywhere and i cant tell whats causing this. Any suggestion on what to do before i screw it up?

When was the carpet replaced?? You can take a heat gun to heat the edges so it'll lay flatter and that might help. I suspect that the carpet was replaced and they went with thicker carpet instead of the original thickness of 16oz. You didn't say what boat you have or any other details about the carpet. when I replaced the carpet on my Nitro I did replace it with 16oz but it was still different from the carpet they put on in 93. Wished I had gone to vinyl flooring instead, works wonders on my PT 175TF LOVE it.

Sorry for lack of details. Its a 1996 160tf so probably similiar to yours. Im sure its the carpet thickness because the carpet is laid perfectly flat. I'm tempted to cut the carpet off along the sides of the lid. What do u think?
When was the carpet replaced?? You can take a heat gun to heat the edges so it'll lay flatter and that might help. I suspect that the carpet was replaced and they went with thicker carpet instead of the original thickness of 16oz. You didn't say what boat you have or any other details about the carpet. when I replaced the carpet on my Nitro I did replace it with 16oz but it was still different from the carpet they put on in 93. Wished I had gone to vinyl flooring instead, works wonders on my PT 175TF LOVE it.
yyy

Its probably glued on along the edges, if not, then that's part of the problem. Find a compartment that wouldn't look so bad if you did that. I tried everything on mine and decided I was gonna just rip off the new carpet (cause I did it with help) and replace it with vinyl flooring stuff. I would have been much happier had I done that in the first place. Easy to clean and cool on the feet as well as great traction on wet floors and there's various colors and floor patterns. Don't know what color your boat is, but if you decide to go the vinyl, let me know, I can point you to a couple of places to save you money. You will have to use special UV rated glue for it, but they sell that too in their vinyl floor kits.

I am not kidding.... Have you tried WD 40 or some silicone spray to break the adhesion...

Love silicone spray, spray my runners when I get ready to reload the boat from the water. When launching from a steep launch keep the boat strapped to the trailer, it will slide off and land on the dry ramp.

My 2014 tracker doesn't need silicone spray on the runners for that. One of the first things the boat dealer warned me about with the new painted hull.

I cannot answer for paint, but worked well on my glass and now my unpainted tin. Now I leave the trailer in the water at the ramp, and when I return just drive up hook on, wrench the last inch and drive off. I keep the bearings well lubricated and if I think about a long haul, inspection of bearings. Shop for the golf course has all the jacks and tools I need.

This is a ramp that is steeper than it looks in the picture.

boat ramp.jpg

Love silicone spray, spray my runners when I get ready to reload the boat from the water. When launching from a steep launch keep the boat strapped to the trailer, it will slide off and land on the dry ramp.
What brand do you recommend? My 16 year old Tracker has hard to open lids.

Latest posts

Back