Bass Pro reels

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Lee

Reaction score
Getting rid of all 5500s.Thinking about going to pro qualifiers.Anybody got any?Likes or dislikes?Any help would be nice.Anybody need any 5500s?Thanks!!

Never used the pro qualifiers, but I have a dozen of the extreme's and really like them. They range in age from 1 to 6 years old. The only one I don't like is the 'finesse' model that I have one of, I can't seem to get it set right. All the others are the normal size with varied gear ratios and no problems.

What's wrong with the Abu's? Those 5500's are good ol' reels. The first thing you're going to notice, is the difference in the drag of those two reels. The Abu has a vice like 22 lbs of drag power while the Pro Qualifiers have a relatively light 10 lbs. That might not be a problem if you're using the reel for crappie but personally I would prefer more guts for bass.

Try this...go to the BPS reel counter. Take the PQ and the 5500 and tighten both drags as tight as you can, then hold the spool with your thumb and crank the reel at the same time. See how much slip you get.

I believe the Abu has better gears, drag, and bearings and should last a lifetime. If you're wanting to switch to a low profile reel I would recommend either a Abu Revo or a Shimano Citica.

You are right about the 5500s.They are work horses.I have used this type of reel for the last 15 years but the newer low profile reels cast and reel so much smoother.That is the reason I'm thinking about changing.Thanks for the reply.

As with most stuff in the fishing industry, buy the best you can afford. Especially reels. I use Pro-Qualifier spinning reels but I use JLM's for baitcasters. They have JLM's fron $79-$179......and I like them.

TOXIC

Have you checked out the Quantums? They are building some great reels.They range from $80 to $240 with anywhere from 4 to 11 bearings.That Tour Edition is a great reel.

I have a Pro Qualifer and like it quite a bit. I also have the old style Shimano Curado and a Pflueger President baitcaster. Of the three, the Shimano is tops (wished I had purchased more than one of the old style!), the Pflueger is a very close second (but $40 more than the Shimano old style) and the Pro Qualifer a closer third. That doesn't mean the Pro Qualifier is bad - just that its not as smooth overall. But I consider all of them - PQ included - to be great reels. For value, on the other hand, the PQ wins hands down. Just can't beat it for the price (IMHO). If I were to buy more baitcasters, PQ would be tops on my list for value for the money in a very good performing reel. The only real competition would have been the Shimano, but since they don't make the Curado at the $100 price point, its a moot issue.

Since you have Abu's, try the Revo Premieres.. I bought a few regular Revo's last year, then I switched over to the Premiere this year and picked up a few more.. 6..3 ounces and a wonderful reel to cast.. Abu has top quality equipment... Why mess with success?

Scott is right.

You get what you pay for. Assuming your adjustments are correct and you deal with a "professional over run" more than 2 times in a day on the water, you need another reel. Diawa and Shimano both make good reels. If you get a 60 dollar reel, expect to deal with another 60 dollars worth of grief.

Latest posts

Back