Baitcasting set ups - which ratio to get?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Question for the more experienced - I'm looking at expanding my line up of baitcasting gear beyond the one set up I have (I just learned how to use them this season!). Do I go for the 5.2:1 ratio or the 6.3:1 ratio? What are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Just as no one gear ratio is the right one for a car (that's why you have a transmission) there is no one gear ratio that is right for every situation. For example, I use a very fast gear ratio 6.3 to 1 reel for my pitching/flipping rod because I want to be able to take up line as fast as possible. Same goes for my topwater rod where speed is important when fishing with walk-the-dog type baits. I use a 5.2 to 1 reel on my spinnerbait rod because for one reason speed is not as improtant and a little more cranking power comes in handy and it's easier to really slow things down for slow-rolling a spinnerbait along the bottom. For crankbaits I use a 4.3 to 1 reel. It makes for a long slow trip back to the boat which is fine for keeping the crankbait in the strike zone as long as possible it also makes cranking those long billed deep diving baits a little less tireing on the old arm muscles.

Hope that helps:)

Harpo

Pretty much the same, other than I think most all of my higher speed reels are all 6.3 to 1. I just recently (this summer) bought a 'David Fritts' setup for cranking. It's a fiberglass rod (American Rodsmiths I believe) and his branded reel from BPS. It's a 4.3 to 1 reel. I love this setup for cranking.

Tex

All but two of my baitcasters are 6.3:1. I was using a 4.3:1 for crankbaits, but I find that is actually too slow for me. Luckily, Pflueger changed their 4.3:1 cranking reels to 5.2:1 the following year, and now I have two of them for crankbaits. I use a 6.3:1 for everything else.

Pro's and Con's -

With a 6.3:1 ratio, you really can do anything - you just have to teach yourself to slow down for crankbaits, which may be harder than it sounds.

With a 5.2:1 or 4.3:1 reel, etc... you can slow roll a spinnerbait or bring in a crankbait perfectly.... but you have to crank the heck out of it for a lot of other techniques - tires you out for some things.

My recommendation - If you are only buying one... buy yourself a 6.3:1

All the best,

Glenn

Yeah.... What Glenn said, Just make sure you purchase a" Pflueger "Baitcast reel!!!!!! LOL

KB

Hey Jim - Be careful with KBs comments! Do you know who has Pflueger as a sponsor?;) If you buy one tell them that KB sent you and you could expect to pay at least 25% more so he can get all his freebies! :rolleyes::lol::D

Bill in VA

PS - Wait until I have my yard sale since I have about 10 baitcasters I am going to sell. NO Ken, none of them are Pfluegers. Haha

6.3:1 My thoughts are its easier to slow down a fast reel, than try to speed up and catch up to a fish coming towards the boat with a slower retrieve reel. Diawa TDX series reels work for me, been using them since they came out and never had one fail on me,, even have muscled in big redfish with them and no problems...pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

Hey go easy... I'm just trying to get a first class product in his hands!!!!!

No sense in starting out with the wallyworld stuff

Ha ha!! Good one Kenny. Actually, I got my first Pflueger - a spinning reel called the President or Prime Minister or something like that. :D 10 bearing system and sssmmmoooootttttthhhhhh!!!!! Thanks for the reminder about the pending yard sale Bill. I'll be there with a fistful of $$$ (or at least as much as the wife will let me out of the house with!!).

JC

Is this going to be a yard sale/day on the lake/cook out?? If so When????

BF

Hey Guys - Just a yard sale since we are trying to get rid of stuff from three different households.

BUT... that doesn't mean we can't get a day of fishin' in either and maybe some chow too!

LOL

Bill in VA :p

I used to use my 6.3 to 1 reels and attempt to reel slower with crankbaits. I've now found that when I'm using my Fritts combo, I am getting far more strikes and hookups with the glass rod and the 4.3 to 1 reel.

I like the fact that the bait stays in the strike zone longer. Also, I can certainly switch to a rod/reel combo with a 6.3 to 1 retrieve, any time I feel that it's necessary. No matter how slow you turn the 6.3 reel, it still is going to bring in 33% more line per turn of the handle than a 4.3 reel.

Just something to think about.

Different strokes, for different folks. BTW, I believe that Pfluegers, are made in the same factory with virtually the same parts, as the BPS reels. I know a number of anglers in my club, that swear by them.

Tex

A 5.2 is a good medium to use...I have (2) 5.2's and (2) 6.3 ratio's

Most of mine are 6.3:1, but I am starting to think about the 5:1 for deeper cranking... other than the slowing down aspect, It does make a huge difference for those bottom hugging DD22, DT16 and other big/heavy baits.

If you're getting only one to start with, start with the 6.3:1, it's a little more versatile.

Backwaters has a few of the Curado Bs left and they are discounted with the new Ds coming in.

The President is a fine spinning reel.

Bill in VA - early?? EARLY??? Shoot, I was hoping to drive down to the Lake in the DAYLIGHT for a change!! :D:D Seriously, you say when and I'll be there - Carter too! He'd LOVE to play with all your old stuff, er' make that check it out!

TT - not surprised to hear about the Pfluegers/BPS reels made in the same factory. Lots of that kind of thing going on in all types of different industries (Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix - same car!). I tried a BPS spinning reel called the Enticer the other day at BPS. It was not nearly as smooth as the Pflueger President since it had two less bearings than the President, but the Enticer had the same build quality and was similar in style. That had me guessing it was a Pflueger clone or copy. Thought about buying one too since its on sale for $39.99, but they didn't have the size reel I wanted.

JC

I have two Extreme series reels that are inferior to every other reel I have (and that's quite a few reels! :rolleyes:).

I will never buy another. Not lubed out of the box, rubber peeling off in layers on the crank, etc...

Mike,

I have found that most of my BPS reels (I mostly buy the ProQualifiers now) need lubing out of the box. I shouldn't have to do that, but on the other hand, after I lube it up, I know it's good to go.

Tex

I used them all and none compares to the Shimano's...just a fact;)

Haven't used any Shimano's (other than one new spinning reel that I have) as yet. It's simply about the Benjamin's ($$$) for me. I'm certain from comments made many times by others, that the Shimano's are very good reels.

However, since I have been buying Pro Qualifier Combo's the past 2 years for an average price of around $65.00, that's hard to beat.

Tex

You get what you pay for...trust me on this one Tex;)

If there ever was a tightass...it's me but, when I finally broke down and purchased a Curado...I'll never go back and am actually looking to step up this year so my game will get even better:D

I agree with Tee 100%. Shimano is the way to go. Yes they do cost a little more for the good ones but you only have to buy it once and you are all set. The reason i dont buy bps or quantum anymore is because i dont like having to replace them every two to three years. I use my stuff a lot and i have worn out the bps pro qualifiers i had as well as many quantums. I have yet to wear out a shimano and i have some that over 8 years old.

My 8 year old Curado works as good if not better than the day I bought it so a new one will be ask for Christmas:lol:

Thanks for all the input guys. I started my baitcasting experience with a Shimano Curado (201B). After I finally learned to use it, I've really come to love the action, distance and accuracy I can get with it. Looks like it will be hard to go down. Its very good to hear that Bill in VA's stock consists of Shimano's - cause I'm assuming that's what will be in the yard sale!

BTW - Shimano doesn't just make really good reels. They also make kickin' bike parts. I have a high end road bike that has Shimano Dura Ace shifters - pretty much the best out there for those who aren't familiar with the bicycling world.

JC

Hey Jim - Nice try on the Shimano's in the yard sale. I have 5 Curado's and 1 Castaic and will NOT part with them. Maybe I can sell you some of those Pflueger's I have (LOL). Most of the baitcasters for the yardsale will be Quantum low profile and round Iron's. Even some kids rods and reels (Johnson Centurys). Have to go through all the stuff and see what I really want to part with. Have a whole basement of stuff what needs to be inventoried.

Spend the money and buy Shimano! Sorry ken

Bill in VA

Bill - somehow I'm thinking that when you really start to inventory stuff, you'll find that you want to part with less than you think (and less than Marti would like as well!) :D:D

Scott - I'll take a look at the BPS JLM. Jeez, all these acronyms. Feels like I'm talking to the feds!! :D:D:D:D:D

Scott or Mac - is there another name for the JLM's? Couldn't find them on the BPS site.

JC

ps: Scott - I was a fed at one time. Started my career that way. We used to see who could string the most acronyms together. A branch chief in my office won. He completed a full sentence using all acronyms and one verb! No one could top that!!

There is no doubt in my mind that the Shimano Curado's are the best reel on the market for the money. I have eleven of them. I have tried several other brands and they are inferior in every way. If you want a reel that will work in the wind, get a Curado. They perform and they last right out of the box. I bought two Pro Qualifier reels and they seem to be ok but not a Shimano and what is up with the reels needing oiled/greased right out of the box. I think that is ridiculous. If you want to spend your time fishing get a Curado. If you want to save a few bucks and dont mind lesser quality and more wigs, get the other stuff. Shimano has their components down to an art. I would like to see the dimensional drawing tolerances Shimano uses versus their competition, I bet there are big tolerance differences. Try a Shimano and see for yourself.;)

Here Jim!!

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58373&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

Latest posts

Back