Bait Caster

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new Baitcaster and the absoutely only criteria is the ability to cast light lures. Over here 1/8 oz is plenty of weight so I'm looking for a real that I can easily cast light, light baits.

I have a couple of Calcutta 50's but they are getting old and tired. I've heard that the new Revo MGX are pretty good and also some Quantums.

Please suggets anything that you think might be up to the task and if possible, best place to get them.

cheers

Well, I too have some of the "round reels" I use them for heavy applications (c-rigging, striper fishing). Here's the rub...trying to save $ on a reel that will throw light lures is tough because in order to avoid "professional over runs" :lol: you need a top end reel. The best value for the $$ that I know of and have thrown is the BPS Pro-Lite or Carbon Light rods and reels. Make sure you pair the reel up with a rod that has micro-guides and that will help. You will have to play with the internal brakes (as well as external cast control and magnetic brake settings)on the BPS reels but once you get them tuned, they will perform well. As a side note, I pretty much always set my reels up as though I'm going to cast into the wind. I am trying out the Quantum line of rods/reels now and will know more about them soon.

My .02

I use the Revo SX and Revo STX. I love them. I can use light weight baits with them but it does take some fine tuning with the brake and spool tension and practice. The Revo STX is better for this and has more brake adjustments.

Abu Garcia has two rebates on rods and reels right now. $25 Rebate and a free Abu Garcia sweatshirt.

I have found Tackle Warehouse has the best prices. www.tacklewarehouse.com

They have outstanding customer service!!!

Hope this helps.

Why wouldn't use a spinning outfit for such a light lure?

1/8 oz. for me is too light for a baitcaster. 3/16 is a samll as I'll go with a BC.

I can't belive all the people who love those bps reels I bought one and it is junk. Spend the extra money and buy a quality reel.

Thanks for all the answers, keep them coming. Tee, I like using a bait caster for fresh water casting and can 9 times out of 10 hit a spot the size of a 1/4 when I have everything is tuned right. Aussie Bass can be finicky at times and if you aint hitting the spot, you just don't get hit. Typically when I'm using small lures, they are generally around 1/8, same with the spinner baits I throw and the distance is somewhere around. I have a ****load of quality spin reels and rods, love them in salt but prefer the BC in fresh.

We fish light here, typically my Bass BC and spin gear is 6 - 10lb PE Braid and 10lb Fluro leaders. The Calcutta 50's used to go great but are a little tired, maybe I should just get some new ceramic bearings and give them a tune and service.

Tox, I'll check out the Carbon Lites, please let me know what you think of the Quantums, I'll be over in April and hopefully some of the BPS stores have rigs you can test cast?

Minics, I'm hearing really good things about those Revo's, isn't there maybe a new MGX or something?

cheers

thommo,

The MGX is a fantastic new reel by Abu Garcia. It certainly should be considered for light BC applications. A teeny bit pricey at $350.00 but, one SWEET reel!

And, many of the BPS reels are fine quality reels! I'll stand by them. The original (gold) carbonlite is a perfect example! Also the pro qualifier has always, and continues to get very high reviews from most. There are more but,........I digress.

TJ,

While I'll be the last one in line to defend BPS, 1 bad experience with a reel is hardly a basis to call all of them junk. I don't know which reel you are talking about but for the last 15 years, I used BPS reels exclusively in my guide service and personally. I still have some from my first set that perform well. Granted, for my personal use, I used the JLM series and have only had 1 problem where a thumbar malfunctioned. I have used most every spinning and baitcasting reel in their lineup including Browning. As is with most fishing gear most of the time you get what you pay for.

If you can find a used Curado 50E, it will accomplish what you want. I use a Diawa Sol for my very light applications but I don't think they are made anymore. A used one of them might be hard to find but they are great for light baitcasting.

NoCAL

Brantley,

JLM (Johnny L. Morris) is the top of the line from Bass Pro Shops. I got them as part of my pro-staff deal but if I were spending my own $$ then I would use the Pro Qualifier or the Browning series. Very good reels for the cost.

When I worked for BPS I bought their products almost exclusively because of the discount. I bought a cheap baitcaster it wore out in a year. Now I still buy their products . The stuff I paid a little more for is still going strong and am still buying it. Updating and just adding to my collection of rods and reels. Some of the reels BPS are made by high end companies and labeled with BPS logo. I also have a carbon light baitcasting and spinning outfit. Top notch stuff. It just may throw your light stuff Mark. I don't know how much shipping is for down under but might be worth a try. My walleye signature tackle is also great. It's a free country(for a while) buy what you like but if all these people buy BPS tackle and love it well..........................
fatrap

I know this is no news flash but Bass Pro doesn't make what they brand. "Somebody" is making it for them and they re-brand it with the BPS logo. Key is figuring just who makes the BPS Rods/Reels/Baits, etc.

Shakespeare (SKP Korea) makes the lion's share of BPS reels in addition to Browning, Pflueger, Pinnacle, and a few other smaller lines. Daiwa has private labeled and produced in exclusivity a few models of spinning reels in the past as well. Lontan (China) makes almost every BPS rod and many Berkeley and other brand rods. Good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back