Back from El Salto

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Richardson

Reaction score
Got in Yesterday after a gruelling 2000 mile 1 way tow. Caught several hundred fish to 8#, but the big one eluded me. The biggest fish I saw the whole week was 10.2#. So the real bigguns aren't doing it quite yet. I was there hunting a teen class fish, so I was a little dissapointed. Still had fun though, hung a rel toad one afternoon and she ripped the split rings off my Fat Free Shad, Oh well such is life. Ol'spinecrusher made the 400 mile tow like a champ, so I figure all the maintenance paid off. The only problem was the engine would sometimes die just as I was getting up on plane. We would pump the bulb and it would be alright until the next time it sat idle for a while then it would do it again.. When I got in I went by the Merc dealer and he asked where I got fuel and I told him it was in Tuscon, and that it was an ethanol blend. Not to worry he said it is only vapor lock in the fuel pump due to running etanol blended fuel in warmer climate of Mexico. I went by the local station and added 30 gal. of local gas and launched it here and no problemo. He also said that when guys from up north come down here to Tx. with a tank full of winter blended fuel they have the same problems, he said sees it all the time. Good to be home, but wish I was still there...............Cmack

ONLY 8lbs?!?!?!?!?! Seberal hunnerd of 'em?!?!?!

WOW...I'm jealous. Glad you had fun and made it back safely.

Replace your bulb, or you may have air in the line. Mac will tell you how to fix it! LOL Glad you had a good trip.

Sounds like a great time..glad your back...need some sanity on this board!

Glad you made it back C,....Sounds like you had a blast anyway,......i could deal with a few 8's yankin my line alot easier than dealin with these yahoo's on this site yankin' my chain!!!..LOL " 'Ole Spinecrusher"..that is such a great name,..crax me up!!

Hey cmack,Did you feel safe taking your boat there? How was the roads in and out of the lake area and would u recommend someone else towing there.

Bobby

Bobby, I felt quite safe there, but I have been towing into Mexico for the past 15 years. The toll road from the border is really good I was running 78-83 mph most of the time. The highway from La Cruz to Cosala passes abouta half mile from tha lake so it is pretty painless. The only real obstacle was the distance, about 675 miles from the border.I don't know where you would be coming from, but I would not tow highway 40 over the mountains from Durango. The locals were even scared of that road. You probably will have a hard time finding a place to stay at the lodges because they cater to complete packages. I was turned down by them all, but after spending some 30 minutes shooting the bull with Ron Speed and finding out that we had many mutual aquaintences in Mexico and Texas he finall invited me. Heck the camp manager (Lupe') was shocked to see someone come in towing a boat. If you decide to go for it email me and I can fill you in on all the details, such as cost for the toll roads, fuel and I found a hotel 20 minutes fron the lake for $28 per night and a place to launch or possibly camp....Cmack

Thanks for the info cmack,we was thinking about going to lake fork texas,but that's a long haul from ohio,we made it to florida last year,we fished lake george,lake seminole,and then lake lanier,awesome trip!!! although my ford could handle the long haul to mexico i dont think my toush could lol

Bobby

Latest posts

Back