Atten. Bob B. transom

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Archer

Reaction score
Well the marine surveyor held a meter that measures moister in the transom wood and allowing 3% for the fiberglass, it read 33% even higher below the motor on transom.Not knowing nothing about this and being my first bass boat im at a lost. They're saying cutting the transom out to 1" above drain plug re-core and re-glass plus gelcoat and paint. Total rebuild i guess. This is killing me and the wife (who loves the boat and enjoys fishing more than i do! Lol.) Its in Excellent condition except the transom. Motor was rebuilt in 2004 and runs strong. Im really torn here!!!:(

What I am eluding to....is how bad is bad? Aside from the reports at hand {which tell the real story, and should be the barometer}, does the motor flex the transom when you apply pressure in-and-out? I've seen some pretty bad transoms that held up for YEARS. Close scrutiny of the cracks / crazes becomes paramount, to see if they "grow".....anytime a craze {hairline fracture} becomes a crack....attention is needed.....

Bad enough that the transom has a crack that you can see thru on each side on top of transom. Then a noticeable crack that is goes across the where the splash well meets the transom. And the motor does flex the transom when applying pressure thus opening the crack further. Makes a creaking noise like two tree branches rubbing together.

It does sound "loose". My suggestion....Remove the motor and associated parts and use them as a trade towards another complete package...my guess is that you could end up spending less than the repair cost. Plenty of good deals to be had....

Great advice. But also dont overlook trading the boat with it. Some places that have an inhouse glass guy may do the repairs and sell it.

Here's another idea:

I do know for a fact that if you decide to go back with Tracker...they usually always make you a great trade in deal even though damaged;)

I just am having trouble with someone trying to charge $4,000 to fix a transom. I'd call a few other places around you and tell them that you are paying and not an insurance company. I've done one myself a long time ago, and it is work, but in my opinion not that much.