Anyone ever have a rifle rebarreled?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I just got a sack full of rifle parts from a buddy who bought out all the firearms from an estate sale. He gave me a pile of stuff. Part of this is a rifled action. Remington 700 with an old .270 barrel. Also scopes, and a tactical target stock, bipod etc. I don't want a .270 and would like to re-barrel with a 300 win mag target barrel. I have trigger stuff so I can do that myself but am looking for a company that will sell and install the barrel. My old places are out of business. Goal is to mount the thing on the tactical target stock with the bi-pod buy a decent mil dot scope. I'm planning on Dura coating the barrel smoke grey and doing the stock WWII OD green with brown and maybe grey camo. Anyone have this done?

fatrap

I have used IT&D Custom in Ohio for 6 rebarrel jobs. ALL have been great shooters.

The bolt face on the 270 is a standard (.473 diameter) and the 300WM requires a magnum (.532 diameter) boltface. You can open them up but it causes other issues that are usually not worth the trouble. The best way is to trade the standard bolt (or barreled action) for a magnum. When the new barrel is screwed on, the gunsmith will set the headspace off of new bolt. There will not be any safety concerns.

RH

Ron
Learn something new everyday. Thanks a bunch. I looked up IT&D and their website is pretty much just a PDF file. Checking around they get a pretty much glowing report. I'd almost be better finding a sporter stock for the .270 and selling it as a complete rifle. I guess finding a barreled action/receiver in 300 WM and putting the tactical/target scope on it or just parting out the whole pile.
fatrap

Do you need an ADL (blind magazine) or BDL (hinged floorplate) stock for your 700? I might have one to send to you. I have a bunch of Remington stocks in my basement that are just gathering dust.

RH

Ron It's going in a Choate "John Plaster" edition stock. The action fits perfect on an aluminum bedding block. Magazine is internal so no hinged floor plate. I just talked to Dave at IT&D and I'm good for the re-barrel. He says no sweat on the convert to 300 Winny. He's going to lap the lugs, square the bolt face and trick it out. Going with the Chrome molly 26 inch 1-10 inch. I'm doing a Dura coat camo pattern so I don't need to have it blued. I have nothing in the receiver and barrel and the stock with a Harris bi-pod was in the pile of stuff my friend gave me. I'll have less than 5 bills in it depending on my cost for Dura Coat and if I need to buy a different trigger. Of course I still need to buy some glass. And I'll have an older iron sight version .270 barrel. Thanks for your help

fatrap

Dave knows what he is doing so if it can be done, he is the guy. Glad it all worked out!!!

RH

In for a penny, in for a pound.... do it in .338 WM.... and really reach out and touch 'em....LOL A .300 is "whimpy" (j/k).... it is a great long range shooter

He already has the 300 winny mounted as of today and is facing the bolt. .338?.............yeah right. I still want to be able to cast a fishing rod. I shot a buddies .375 H&H....once! Fun meter fully pegged. He shot a frickin Zebra in Africa with it. I had a bruise that turned yellow after it was black and blue for a week.
fatrap

Latest posts

Back